Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chip/Crack in windscreen?

Maxxxykins

Got my ST less than a week ago, two days ago I noticed a chip/crack in the windscreen, towards the passenger side, just above the head unit.

I'm covered for this so got Autoglass to come and take a look, first day I apparently didn't supply my address or my correct mobile, even though both were correct on my confirmation email.. odd.

Today they came to my work, and guy told me it was too small, I thought he was joking at first, but he said they basically can't do anything, he'd just make it worse. Anyone had this before? What am I supposed to do?? He also said it looks like it's been repaired before, as it feels very smooth and there is no "dip" or "dent" as such.

Might ask Ford about it, whether they had any repairs to it... the Autoglass technician said it's safe and will be fine, but it's annoying and always catches my eye.. just feels broke if you know what I mean..

Go back to Ford tell them what the autoglass technician has said and they might be able to sort it out for you. 

• Like 1

Rubbish. What he means is that it is not a structural repair. It sounds like it is what we sometimes refer to as a cosmetic or vanity repair. It won't get any worse (provided there is no 'break' below the impact crater but it will discolour over time. 

Swerve the insurance claim and find a decent repairer who will be able to fill it for you (as long as he does tidy up the crater with a tungsten carbide drill burr, and use the correct resin!).

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Glassman said:

Rubbish. What he means is that it is not a structural repair. It sounds like it is what we sometimes refer to as a cosmetic or vanity repair. It won't get any worse (provided there is no 'break' below the impact crater but it will discolour over time. 

Swerve the insurance claim and find a decent repairer who will be able to fill it for you (as long as he does tidy up the crater with a tungsten carbide drill burr, and use the correct resin!).

Cheers, any recommendations for repairers?

• Like 1

I know someone called Gavin, he's good at this sort of stuff

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/02/2016 at 0:18 AM, MPX309 said:

I know someone called Gavin, he's good at this sort of stuff

Gavin the glass guy?

Spoke to Ford, didn't seem to care..

It hasn't got any bigger, even with the frost and me heating the car up. But I did take a closer look at it at night with a torch and you can definitely see where it has been filled in. Very odd.

37 minutes ago, Maxxxykins said:

Gavin the glass guy?

Spoke to Ford, didn't seem to care..

It hasn't got any bigger, even with the frost and me heating the car up. But I did take a closer look at it at night with a torch and you can definitely see where it has been filled in. Very odd.

Not just any glass . . . Autoglass

7 minutes ago, MPX309 said:

Not just any glass . . . Autoglass

All I have in my head is the  'Autoglass repair, autoglass replace' song. 

I would take it back to Ford and show them where its been filled in? Probably a botch job on site? I know you expect some used cars to have wear and tear but that's just annoying. 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club