Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can Someone Help Me - My Insurance are confusing me

wilks3y

Hello,

I had the smallest bump I can think possible in my Fiesta early this week. Everything seemed to move very quickly with my insurance (Admiral) and they collected it right away.

Looking at the damage, I could have done more damage kicking the damn car than crashing it (can upload a picture if anyone needs but it isn't great). However Admiral say its a CAT D write off. I was asking them questions and they wouldn't tell me how much they'd been quoted for repair. They also wouldn't tell me what the damage was, at the start of the claim they said do nothing and we will contact you as/when we get info. THIS WAS NEVER DONE. 3 times now I've contacted the garage after Admiral, only to get conflicting information.

Anyway, the lady on the phone from Admiral says if I don't sign my V5C Section 9 and sign the car over to the salvage yard TODAY, then I will be breaking the law and will be fined. (As I now no longer have insurance as they've cancelled it). However they won't tell me how much they are going to pay out for the car or when this is likely to be paid?

Its  my first ever crash and I'm so confused and worried about all this. Why am I signing a car over to a salvage company when I don't know when and how much I am going to get back for the car?

The way I see it, if I'm doing this, Admiral should be writing me a blank check. As far as I'm concerned its the same principle.

Again, Admiral would not tell me exactly why the damage has been so "Severe" and why they're classing it as a Class D.

Is this all normal? Will I be breaking the law? Why won't they give me a "estimate" etc etc?

Please help me! What do I do?

Thanks!!!

Doesn't sound right to me, I wouldn't be signing over my car without knowing the payout I was getting.

I don't know where you stand legally though, only that I would be equally unhappy...

26 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Doesn't sound right to me, I wouldn't be signing over my car without knowing the payout I was getting.

I don't know where you stand legally though, only that I would be equally unhappy...

Thankyou for your response. So until I get a definitive answer as to what they will be paying out. DO NOT SIGN anything?

Like Alex I'd also be unhappy

I've written  (a few) cars off, one through accident and they kept me wondering if it was to be a write off or not at the beginning, then they got in touch saying I'd done x amount of damage costing x pounds this is more than the value of the car so cat c write off. It was a mk3 y reg mondeo and they used glasses guide as a reference. I never signed over the v5 until I was given this figure and agreed it

To state yours is written off so quickly I can only assume the damage is structural to the car. But then I thought cat d is written off because client asked for work not to be carried out or something? :shock:

Personally from where your stood I'd call them and demand answers to your questions and also contact citizens advice / solicitor  (free for first 30 mins usually)

2 minutes ago, laumk7 said:

Like Alex I'd also be unhappy

I've written  (a few) cars off, one through accident and they kept me wondering if it was to be a write off or not at the beginning, then they got in touch saying I'd done x amount of damage costing x pounds this is more than the value of the car so cat c write off. It was a mk3 y reg mondeo and they used glasses guide as a reference. I never signed over the v5 until I was given this figure and agreed it

To state yours is written off so quickly I can only assume the damage is structural to the car. But then I thought cat d is written off because client asked for work not to be carried out or something? :shock:

Personally from where your stood I'd call them and demand answers to your questions and also contact citizens advice / solicitor  (free for first 30 mins usually)

Citizens Advice have now been mentioned a couple of times to me so it may be worth going down that route now. From Incident to them telling me its a CAT D write off took only 4 days. Thats even after the garage "rang admiral to say they were up to 4000 without looking at the engine). Again from what actually happened accident wise I'm starting to wonder how well built these Fiestas are. I absolutely loved it and I know the accident was my fault, but it makes me wonder what may have happened if I crashed at 40 or 50? 

Thanks for your advice. I definitely wont be signing anything over until I get a price off them.

Again much appreciated for your time. I knew I loved this forum for a reason :)

You should be able to have an estimate of the damage (what actually needs fixing) even if it isn't a complete list, just the point they got to.

You should also have the option to buy the car back and repair it yourself if you wish.

No way should they demand you sign it over before giving you an ounce of information about what's happened and the claim amount as you may (probably will need to) contest it.

For how well built the cars are you only have to watch the ncap videos to find out. I certainly wouldn't trust my daughters life to anything less. Again as said the damage could be structural and may need a jig realignment or the garage might be pulling a fast one (it's not unknown) either way you want answers now

i work for an insurer- sounds funny to me.

Best thing is to make a complaint (officially) they then have 8 weeks to respond to it. This will kick them into gear. If not happy after 8 weeks take it to ombudsman and see what they say.