Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk6 Reverse Camera

Kevinho

Just wondered if anyone had fitted a reversing camera to their mk6?

I know it's not really needed on such a small car, but I'm getting a new head unit soon and being a gadget freak, the prospect of being able to add one for just over a tenner is too tempting lol.

So if anyone has fitted one, how did you get on? What camera did you get? Any tips on fitting?

Cheers

Kev

I have fitted a reverse camera to my mk6 simply because my headunit can take one. It was a nightmare running cables into/through the tailgate but it was worth it!!

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality detailing & Valeting supplies

• Like 1

Lol That's pretty much the same reason I'll be doing it.

Getting my new head unit in about a month, so am doing my homework now.

which camera did you get? And do you have any pics of it mounted?

cheers

• Like 1

I'll get some pics when I remember. it's just a generic camera from China. paid £7 and its actually really good. Had to cut the wiring and rejoin it at multiple points to extend it & squeeze through gaps

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality detailing & Valeting supplies

• Like 1

That'd be great :)

whereabouts did you mount it? I was hoping they did a numberplate light replacement one for the mk6 but sadly not. I'm not really looking forward to drilling a hole in the bodywork tbh :/

• Like 1

I drilled a hole in the black trim & through the metal behind it. Mounted it towards the nearside at the rear

• Like 1

i drilled nine in to the  center rear bumper as it was a black camera on a black bumper it blended in well it made parking very easy 

• Like 1

I can't say I've ever struggled to park without it..

It's only a fiesta at the end of the day, hahaha. I only added it because the Pioneer avh2600bt headunit could take it.

• Like 1

I love gadgets lol. 

Was thinking of adding one to the Mrs mk7 but would need a separate screen, not replacing the head unit.. Plus she'd probably take offence that I didn't trust her to park properly :) 

• Like 1

I love gadgets lol. 

Was thinking of adding one to the Mrs mk7 but would need a separate screen, not replacing the head unit.. Plus she'd probably take offence that I didn't trust her to park properly :) 

You can't add the reverse sensors/camera to the OEM headunit after its left the factory on the mk7 :)

• Like 1

My mk6 has the body color trim, so no black for it to blend into.

am thinking just to the left of the numberplate light as you look at it.

not 100% how I'll get the cable through yet, 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GingerFlame said:

You can't add the reverse sensors/camera to the OEM headunit after its left the factory on the mk7 :)

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality Detailing & Valeting supplies

Yh I know. 

I did look at one in Maplins for hers, which has a separate screen you mount to the dash. Not convinced by it though. Looks cheap and screen needs plugging in each time.. 

• Like 1

My mk6 has the body color trim, so no black for it to blend into.

am thinking just to the left of the numberplate light as you look at it.

not 100% how I'll get the cable through yet, 

It's a nightmare to run cabling. I'll get some pictures for you of everything tomorrow

• Like 1

On 11 February 2016 at 10:27 PM, GingerFlame said:

It's a nightmare to run cabling. I'll get some pictures for you of everything tomorrow

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality Detailing & Valeting supplies

Hi

did you manage to get some pics done? 

No worries if not, got a couple weeks to wait before I'm allowed to buy anything lol

• Like 1

Hi

did you manage to get some pics done? 

No worries if not, got a couple weeks to wait before I'm allowed to buy anything lol

Spent the day swapping my front wings over, completely forgot sorry

• Like 1

No worries

Sounds like a big job. Why did you have to do that? (Just being nosey lol)

No worries

Sounds like a big job. Why did you have to do that? (Just being nosey lol)

It's an extremely frustrating job, as the bolts towards the bottom of the car were all rusted & in between sizes so had to be removed forcefully :D & well.. pattern parts.. the joy!

The old wings were starting to rust in the arches and the paint was bubbling. my paintwork on the whole car is perfect, swirlfree & protected, except the wings :(

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11 February 2016 at 10:27 PM, GingerFlame said:

It's a nightmare to run cabling....

I know now what you mean! 

Managed to find a numberplate light camera for a mk6 on AliExpress (same as for a mk2 mondeo) and after waiting about 3 weeks for delivery from China, I fitted it last week.. Hardest part was feeding the phono plug through the rubber conduit at the top of the tailgate.. I'd already done it on the Mrs Mk7 though so I knew I was in for a struggle lol

works nicely with my new head unit :) 

will post some pics when I get chance

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

i hope you don't mind me posting on your thread but I'm having trouble trying to wire up my reverse camera to my pioneer head unit.

I'm trying to wire it so that it automatically comes on when put in reverse. From what I've read online people are powering it through the reverse lights. I just have no idea which colour wires on the reverse lights to tap into. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks