Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hello, Did I make a huge mistake?

WayneB

Hi

I just bought a 2009 Focus 1.8 TDCi Zetec the other week from a car dealer.

I've not had a Ford before (my last car was a 2000 Honda Civic and it was great, unfortunately I don't like the newer civics). I'm unfamiliar with driving a diesel as well so I'm unsure about if the car is behaving the way it should and it's just me having new car anxiety...

I've done a lot of internet searching about my concerns but am finding it hard to really convince myself as I can't get specific opinions on my questions without asking people who might have owned the same car. So here goes, if anyone would like to give me some brief responses based on their experience, that would be awesome.

1) I'm not a crazy driver and my commute to work and to my hobbies is mostly on the dual carriageway, but I can't seem to get the average mpg over 40. I'm a bit disappointed and wonder if Ford massively over-state their efficiency, or maybe all companies do and if I had have bought a car that claimed to give 40mpg combined I would have actually only got 30mpg. In which case I accept that that's the best I'm gonna get and buying the car because I thought it might be efficient wasn't a mistake. In short-Is the ford focus one of the more efficient (non-hybrid) cars?

2) After I bought it I noticed rust on the rocker panels. Is this going to turn into an ongoing problem and the car will eventually have to be scrapped because it's too rusty? My Honda didn't have any rust even after 15 years :(

3) There are other noises like rhythmic clicking that comes and goes, a high pitched screeching when I try to reverse too fast, and a twanging sound when I pull away after having applied the brakes. Do these sound familiar?

I do enjoy driving the car and have yet to really take it out on some windy country roads to get a load of the the handling, which I hear is great. But I just want some assurance that I wasn't ripped off by the dealer. I paid £4,500 and it had 65,000 on the clock, was that a reasonable price

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Wayne

Hi and welcome.

Have you reset the MPG counter because if you haven't it will still be accounting the average from the previous driver who might have driven it nutty.

I've not heard of rust on the rocker panels being a common problem so perhaps the previous owner enjoyed the beach too much?

Not sure about the third one perhaps someone around here can help.

• Like 1

I would get the rust sorted but it sounds about right to me i payed £ 4.500 for mine a few years back and its a 58 reg  64.000 miles

so price seem about right. As for noses if its coming from the passenger side most will be the relays clicking in the fuse box mine dose it all the time. 

i have a click that come from the clutch pedal and i no its a switch bugged me at first but you get used to it 

i would ask the place where you bought it from to sort the rust out 

i love mine as its been a good motor touch wood. 

twanging sound when I pull away after having applied the brakes. sounds like sticking hand brake cables 

1 hour ago, Ryan_Tango said:

Have you reset the MPG counter because if you haven't it will still be accounting the average from the previous driver who might have driven it nutty.

Yeah, I did that. Maybe I should reset it again, now that I'm more familiar with how to drive it.

33 minutes ago, dezwez said:

I would get the rust sorted but it sounds about right to me i payed £ 4.500 for mine a few years back and its a 58 reg  64.000 miles

so price seem about right. As for noses if its coming from the passenger side most will be the relays clicking in the fuse box mine dose it all the time.

i have a click that come from the clutch pedal and i no its a switch bugged me at first but you get used to it

i would ask the place where you bought it from to sort the rust out

i love mine as its been a good motor touch wood.

twanging sound when I pull away after having applied the brakes. sounds like sticking hand brake cables 

I think the clicking is coming from the engine, it doesn't speed up with the revs though, maybe a fan belt or something. I'm going to have a closer listen later.

I don't reckon the dealer is going to do anything about the rust. I reckon it's one of those 'bought as seen' type things and it's not covered by the warranty.

Twanging sound possible a stuck brake caliper. Don't think it's the handbrake cable, as it happens when I haven't use the handbrake.

Thanks for your advices. Glad the price seems about right.

3 minutes ago, WayneB said:

Yeah, I did that. Maybe I should reset it again, now that I'm more familiar with how to drive it.

I think the clicking is coming from the engine, it doesn't speed up with the revs though, maybe a fan belt or something. I'm going to have a closer listen later.

I don't reckon the dealer is going to do anything about the rust. I reckon it's one of those 'bought as seen' type things and it's not covered by the warranty.

Twanging sound possible a stuck brake caliper. Don't think it's the handbrake cable, as it happens when I haven't use the handbrake.

Thanks for your advices. Glad the price seems about right.

free the  brake caliper up make sure there working OK and see if this helps do you have any pics yet