Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Silver Car - many near misses

Gary321

Since having this new Focus (silver) I've had an alarming amount of near misses, i.e. people just don't seem to see me!

Anbody else found this to be the case ?

18 minutes ago, Gary321 said:

Since having this new Focus (silver) I've had an alarming amount of near misses, i.e. people just don't seem to see me!

Anbody else found this to be the case ?

A study in New Zealand & published in the British Medical Journal in 2003 looked at car colours & crash incidences & suggested that silver was the safest colour car although there are many ponderable factors to be taken into account & should not be seen as absolute fact.

People are oblivious to any car I think, I drive a shiny black one with chrome trim and Xenon headlights and people still miss it... 

I had this before my mondeo and still people couldn't see me coming down the road !

86ce962a1c1f4b86815a38434ba97929.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

We've had in the past 2 weeks alone at least 10 near misses.. 2 on the motorway, 1 guy was more or less in the side of us, I had to stand on pretty hard with horn in toe.

Must just be a fluke of some sort maybe.

@Darranw WoW - thats pretty loud :biggrin: 

that would of been class in a tango advert !

The exhaust was loud enough [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too many wouldn't see a Silver Focus, with Battenburg, headlight flashers, blues, siren............

PS, don't think my Silver Focus is any worse than any other  car I've had.

Problem is folk just don't see it, its not about colour, it could be neon blue with pink spots but if folk don't see it at all, it means nothing.

A lot of the time it seems to be that people are too busy fiddling around with their phone or Sat nav rather than concentrating on driving.

• Like 1

its nit the color or car on a daily basis its people too busy talking to the passenger and not looking out the window mucking about with phones or generally not giving a dam and trying to pull out of gaps that they shouldn't I pass on a daily basis a minimum of 1 crash up to 5 on a 10 mile commute

• Like 1

Maybe you should try a different road without such a bad crash rate lol!  I would like to know what goes through peoples minds when they just pull out though.  Do they not see the car?  Do they misjudge the speed?  Do they genuinely believe they own the road and couldn't give a crap about anyone else?  I always go by the old adage of - if someone has to brake, don't go...  Not difficult!  I can number the times I've cut someone up on one hand and felt awfully guilty afterwards (genuine mistakes of misjudged speed or insufficient observation) but I see other people doing it several times a day and would like to know why! 

as a bike rider the answer is obvious people at junctions look right then left the pull out they never look before moving in the direction they're turning by which time theres a car or bike coming at them they realize mid turn as they're still looking away from the direction they're turning.

only one route to work and its along the alleged most dangerous road I Scotland driven it 6 years day in and day out never had an accident but unlike some I see I dont believe that um invincible and the car will protect me or that the car will somehow stick to the road no matter what

• Like 1

It comes down to pig ignorance and or lack of proper teaching.

As you mentioned, people look right, look left and pull out, good by motorcyclist, I was taught right left right, thoughts being if you are turning right, looking right before you turn gives you and others proper time to stop  If traffic is coming from the left and doubles the chances of seeing something from the right.

Another pet hate of mine is speed limits, there are 60 limit roads where its safe to drive at 80, there are 30 roads that its safe to 50 on (assuming clear side of road to spot pedestrians) but the problem is speed limits, there are roads that are a 30 limit that you shouldn't be driving any more than15 in and there are 60 roads which 30 is appropriate, people in general don't learn to read road conditions and drive to those, they see speed limits as guidelines which helps contribute to people dying.  I think this idea of letting someone behind the wheel of a car after only a single hour of driving is totally mental and the hazard test whilst better than none is flawed as well.  (I lost points that would have given me a perfect score because I saw them too early, how can you see a problem too early!!)

Anyhow, imp, if we are to improve road safety we need to test people over a period of time, not just one hour and also do some simulated skids

37 minutes ago, Dee_82 said:

It comes down to pig ignorance and or lack of proper teaching.

As you mentioned, people look right, look left and pull out, good by motorcyclist, I was taught right left right, thoughts being if you are turning right, looking right before you turn gives you and others proper time to stop  If traffic is coming from the left and doubles the chances of seeing something from the right.

Another pet hate of mine is speed limits, there are 60 limit roads where its safe to drive at 80, there are 30 roads that its safe to 50 on (assuming clear side of road to spot pedestrians) but the problem is speed limits, there are roads that are a 30 limit that you shouldn't be driving any more than15 in and there are 60 roads which 30 is appropriate, people in general don't learn to read road conditions and drive to those, they see speed limits as guidelines which helps contribute to people dying.  I think this idea of letting someone behind the wheel of a car after only a single hour of driving is totally mental and the hazard test whilst better than none is flawed as well.  (I lost points that would have given me a perfect score because I saw them too early, how can you see a problem too early!!)

Anyhow, imp, if we are to improve road safety we need to test people over a period of time, not just one hour and also do some simulated skids

I agree with some of this, any driving instructor worth their salt will only present a pupil for test if the pupil stands a high chance of passing & is therefore deemed safe to drive unsupervised.

Very few novices only have 1 hours tuition before taking & passing a driving test, approximately 30 is the average.

The reason the look right, left , right observation is taught is that the main danger comes from the right & that path of traffic has to be crossed first.

I fully agree that driving test should be longer & quite possibly over several hours - problem is that people would moan about the cost etc.

Fact is there's very little one can buy that's such good value & will last a lifetime & be so useful as a driving licence

Very sadly too many young drivers forget all too quickly how they were taught to drive safely & end up deceased in their tin can & it's not inadequate teaching that caused their demise.

As i have stated on here many times before, the sooner compulsory retesting every 5 years becomes law - the safer & emptier our roads will be.

I would wager a six figure sum that 33% of all full licence holders in the U.K. would fail a driving test tomorrow - this % equates to MILLIONS of drivers being found unsafe to drive.