Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Who's Right of Way?

TomsFocus

Morning!

Ok, so the same thing has happened at the same place twice this week and wondering if I've got it wrong...

Two cars approaching a crossroads opposite each at roughly the same speed (30mph road).  Traffic lights show green to both sides at the same time, no specific green arrows.  Both cars want to turn towards the same place (so one left, one right).

Who has right of way here?  Or is it no-one?

Basically I understood it that if you're turning left (ie not having to cross anyones path) then you have right of way.  But twice this week I've coasted round the corner in gear at ~25 (it's a wide corner with good visibility) and had someone turn into my path from the opposite side so I've had to brake.  The first one was swearing and gesturing in the mirror as I didn't brake particularly early lol, but I just wondered if she was actually in the wrong or if no-one has right of way there? 

Cheers
Tom

3 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Morning!

Ok, so the same thing has happened at the same place twice this week and wondering if I've got it wrong...

Two cars approaching a crossroads opposite each at roughly the same speed (30mph road).  Traffic lights show green to both sides at the same time, no specific green arrows.  Both cars want to turn towards the same place (so one left, one right).

Who has right of way here?  Or is it no-one?

Basically I understood it that if you're turning left (ie not having to cross anyones path) then you have right of way.  But twice this week I've coasted round the corner in gear at ~25 (it's a wide corner with good visibility) and had someone turn into my path from the opposite side so I've had to brake.  The first one was swearing and gesturing in the mirror as I didn't brake particularly early lol, but I just wondered if she was actually in the wrong or if no-one has right of way there? 

Cheers
Tom

Pictures or a video would help illustrate your point Tom  . . .  generally, if you cross someone elses path you give way to them - unless road signs dictate otherwise.

I would have to see the junction in question to give a definitive answer.

What do you mean by '' coasted '' ?

• Like 2

Hard to imagine the junction.

If you are driving along and there is a turning on your left that you wish to take, you have priority over oncoming traffic who want to turn right. If it's a traffic light controlled junction and you wish to turn left and an oncoming vehicle wants to turn right, you have priority in the same way that the oncoming traffic would have to wait for you to pass if you were going straight over the junction.

Trouble comes when they are trying to judge gaps, people may flash them to cross in front of them etc etc which leads to a misunderstanding of priority next time around.

5 minutes ago, Danny1971 said:

Hard to imagine the junction.

Trouble comes when they are trying to judge gaps, people may flash them to cross in front of them etc etc which leads to a misunderstanding of priority next time around.

If only drivers would understand & use headlamp '' flashing '' correctly, there would be zero misunderstandings & no doubt far fewer '' accidents ''

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MONDEO TXS 2.2 said:

If only drivers would understand & use headlamp '' flashing '' correctly, there would be zero misunderstandings & no doubt far fewer '' accidents ''

Agreed.

It sounds like you have the right of way from your description, but a link to the junction on google maps and the direction you are coming from would be good, so we can see it on street view.

I have seen a stupid (or broken?) set of lights that had a filter and despite being a filter the other side was also on green.

I've got the memory card out of the dashcam so will see if it caught it (barely works, keep meaning to replace it!).  Does sound like I'm right so far though.

By 'coasted' I mean I didn't accelerate or brake, was in 3rd using no pedals to 'roll' round the corner if that's a better description.

I'd say you have right of way from that. They have no filter and you have no give way.

I know the junction well & you (turning left) have right of way.

Bit of a Trek from Tyne & Wear lol!?

Thanks for the confirmation though, both of you. :smile:

The Westcountry's narrow country lanes proved a little too tight for these cars passing each other this morning near Crafthole in Cornwall.

The locals won't give way to anyone.

Picture by Torpoint FireStation, Twitter ‏@TorpointCFRS

• Like 2

Its pretty obvious those won't fit lol, neither one fitted with a reverse gear? :unsure:

• Like 2

The Westcountry's narrow country lanes proved a little too tight for these cars passing each other this morning near Crafthole in Cornwall.

12650685-large.jpg

Typical.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Trewithy said:

Judging by the Renault's missing headlight and position of the Vauxhall, I'm presuming the Astra was at fault?  Not surprising, not surprising at all.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, jmurray01 said:

Judging by the Renault's missing headlight and position of the Vauxhall, I'm presuming the Astra was at fault?  Not surprising, not surprising at all.

It is a Vauxhall... You know what that means

• Like 2

It would appear that the road widens just behind the Astra so the Renault had right of way and the other driver should have waited.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

It is a Vauxhall... You know what that means

I'm putting together a compilation of the morons in vauxhalls I've witnessed today

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality detailing & Valeting supplies

• Like 2

On 12/02/2016 at 0:32 PM, TomsFocus said:

I've got the memory card out of the dashcam so will see if it caught it (barely works, keep meaning to replace it!).  Does sound like I'm right so far though.

By 'coasted' I mean I didn't accelerate or brake, was in 3rd using no pedals to 'roll' round the corner if that's a better description.

The problem with '' coasting '' is that the front driven wheels are not being driven & therefore steering control is more difficult & is not as precise, grip is also reduced as the front wheels are simply freewheeling.

Better car control will be achieved with a modicum of gas applied to ensure the front wheels are being driven & pulling the vehicle in the direction required.

• Like 2

That's interesting to know.  I've always dropped a gear and 'rolled' up to/around roundabouts and junctions as it saves fuel and keeps everything smooth (no jumping on the brakes then jabbing the throttle which annoys me lol).  I had a terrible habit of proper coasting (clutch in) when I was learning but did manage to stop that.

As the car will be slowing down, surely the momentum and weight of the car will still be 'pushing' forwards putting extra downforce onto the front end?  Maybe I'll have to corners faster in future... :biggrin:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

That's interesting to know.  I've always dropped a gear and 'rolled' up to/around roundabouts and junctions as it saves fuel and keeps everything smooth (no jumping on the brakes then jabbing the throttle which annoys me lol).  I had a terrible habit of proper coasting (clutch in) when I was learning but did manage to stop that.

As the car will be slowing down, surely the momentum and weight of the car will still be 'pushing' forwards putting extra downforce onto the front end?  Maybe I'll have to corners faster in future... :biggrin:

Yes, the main thing that my instructor focuses on is not coasting (clutch in), but accelerating out of corners is also advised.  Not sure if that applies at low speeds though.

• Like 1

Accelerating out of corners isn't something I have trouble with. :wink::laugh:  Braking for them though...just wastes fuel!!

I hate the argument of 'see they didn't get any further' when overtaking on B roads, I mainly do it for a smoother drive, really annoys me when people are jumping on the brakes at every corner but then flooring it down the straights so I can't overtake. :dry:

• Like 3

On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 5:12 PM, Trewithy said:

brain dead come to mind should have licence taken of them and banned

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, theredfox said:

brain dead come to mind should have licence taken of them and banned

Must have been going some speed as well, to end up in that position!

• Like 1