Savings Up to 15% Off For Members
    • Join Premium & Save
      Join Premium & Save
    • Share Your Car Experience
      Share Your Car Experience
    • 1000's Of Fords For Sale
      1000's Of Fords For Sale

AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
the medler

Focus Air con problem

5 posts in this topic

I have a focus tddi 2002 plate. I have a problem with this in that it seems to work better when the weather is cool but but if we have an exceptionally warm day, it works for a while then goes off. The a/c light seems to work but i dont here the click of the a/c clutch engaging, at least i dont think so. I assumed it needed re-gassing so i took it to Lucus auto's and they said it was low, so i thought that would have cured it, but it hasnt. It normally works properly at the start of each day, after which its a lottery. I would appreciate any ideas?

Thanks

When you turn the aircon on check that the rad fan comes on. The fan should always run when the aircon is on. If it doesn't the aircon will work as long as the car is moving fast enough but will stop working when you are stopped or in slow-moving traffic.

Thanks Mike..If the rad fan isnt coming on when it should, where might i start tracing the probelm?

The fan is controlled by the engine ECU via relay R45 and 30A fuse F65 located in the engine bay fusebox. I'd suggest you check the fuse first. If that looks ok try running the engine until the coolant temperature rises and see if the fan cuts in. It is possible to test the fan motor by unplugging the connector and applying 12Volts to it directly via wires (protected with an in-line fuse).

If the fan works ok in these tests then the problem must lie with the aircon itself in which case you'll have to seek expert help as neither the Haynes nor the Focus Owners manual give enough detail to investigate further.