Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What are some positives and negatives for remapping a car engine ?

Fastlife91

I drive a 2006 MK 2  Focus 1.8 TDCI Sport

I feel the car is a big sluggish at times, and also the mpg does not seem to be too great either atm. The MAF wiring loom is damaged and the EML is on as a result. I ordered a plug with wires from a wiring loom from same car with same engine code, It should come next week so that should improve the performance and economy of my car.

I was reading online about engine remaps and got a slight idea what thry asre about but still not totally sure.

Some say that although it improves performance and  akes the car go faster that sometimes mpg can improve or decrease.

I think I would like to remap my engine when I save up some money, I would not want to do it though if it reduces my mpg but if it increases my mpg and power then I will definitely be willing to have it done.

What is the average cost to remap a car engine here in UK and what are some pro's and cons of getting an engine remapped ?

You can get different types of map.

Some increase power & torque as well as MPG, others decrease power & torque for even higher MPG. all depends what you want.

Look at Bluefin

As your car Is both diesel & a turbo engine you'll benefit from a remap alot!

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality detailing & Valeting supplies

1 hour ago, GingerFlame said:

You can get different types of map.

Some increase power & torque as well as MPG, others decrease power & torque for even higher MPG. all depends what you want.

Look at Bluefin

As your car Is both diesel & a turbo engine you'll benefit from a remap alot!

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality Detailing & Valeting supplies

Hi

I think I would want the remap that gives better mpg but also improves  power & torque.

Somebody told me that the car has to be in full working order before remap is done, However I am unsure if I have a fault with my turbo so would I need to get that checked first ?

I don't think I would inform my insurer about the remap,  could that be a problem ?

oh, and if I wanted to revert back to the original settings could it be done and if so at what cost ??

thanks

Most remap companies won't touch your car if it has any issues mechanically. Get it checked out first.

You MUST inform your insurer about ANY modifications of your vehicle. That's any specification that has changed since it left the factory.

If you went for the blufin, you plug it in

Download your Map to the unit

Install modified map to car

The unit will keep hold of your original map for you to revert for at any time you like

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality detailing & Valeting supplies

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, GingerFlame said:

Most remap companies won't touch your car if it has any issues mechanically. Get it checked out first.

You MUST inform your insurer about ANY modifications of your vehicle. That's any specification that has changed since it left the factory.

If you went for the blufin, you plug it in

Download your Map to the unit

Install modified map to car

The unit will keep hold of your original map for you to revert for at any time you like

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality Detailing & Valeting supplies

Hi

. What if I don't inform my insurer and if I was to have an accident in my car how would they know the engine had been remapped ?

and what it Bluefin and what do you mean by plug it in ?

2 minutes ago, Fastlife91 said:

Hi

. What if I don't inform my insurer and if I was to have an accident in my car how would they know the engine had been remapped ?

Usually if a car has been remapped the ecu in the car has been flashed with a different file which can then be detected if someone was to look for it.

Bluefin is a type / make of remap from a company called Superchips http://www.mybluefin.co.uk/

You can use a hand held unit that contains the map to download your original map from the car and upload the new remap for the car.

This is usually done via the cars diagnostic port.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fastlife91 said:

Hi

No what if about it, tell your insurance company before you get it done, insurance investigators are not idiots and will check your car thoroughly, a friend of mine had his insurance voided after an accident because of a remap, they had his ECU connected to a laptop and immediately had all the information they needed.

So in short don't be an idiot and tell your insurance company before getting it done. 

• Like 2

There's no point remapping with a broken MAF and a broken turbo lol.

A remap will often highlight even more faults on the car, that's probably the biggest downside. 

The upside is the extra power.  And if you don't use that extra power you'll get more MPG....but that kind of defeats the object of having it done lol.

Insurance can easily tell if the cars been mapped, they'll also have scouts on here so probably best not to mention that you wouldn't tell them. :laugh:

• Like 3

No turbo = no point

Sent from the pub with a pint in the other hand.

• Like 1

No turbo = no point

Sent from the pub with a pint in the other hand.

It's a TDCi ;)

• 1 year later...

I'm toying with the idea of getting my 2.0 Tdci remapped but I would have to pay to get it done as I believe you have to remove the ECM and split it open to tune it. I've done some remapping myself but only on cars with the Bosch ECM that you tune via OBD. Seems odd that the Bluefin can tune through OBD when the tuners can't.

Still got my tuning laptop.:wink: