Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The written statistics mpg for my car should be between 39.2 - 64.2, yet I seem to be only getting 40 mpg, why?

Fastlife91

Please help me.

It is not that I cannot afford fuel for my car, far from it, but I don't like the feeling of paying for fuel but not getting out what I am putting in, if I put £50 of diesel in I like to get out £50 of diesel, not £35.

I had issues with my previous car, was naturally heavy on fuel anyway being an old petrol and I was only seeing around 25 - 30 mpg and putting in around £70 a week petrol. I loved the car but hated it's low economy so despite investing A LOT of money into repairs on the 3 years I had it I decided to get something that was better on fuel.

So, I got my current car, a 2006 mk2 focus sport 1.8 TDCI  and already I have  spent a lot of money repairing this and I have only had it about 9 months but feel I am committed to it now after all the money spent on it, anyway t's written mpg is

urban - 39.2

combined- 44.2

extra urban - 64. 2 mpg

However I only seem to be getting around 38 - 40 mpg.

That is mostly urban but with a few mixed motorway driving and on MW's I drive at 60 - 65 mpg, I only seem to be getting 40 mpg still despite driving economically.

I only cover around 200 miles until the fuel gauge is at the half way line and when I fill to the brim the needle begins to move after just 10 miles or so of driving !!

I am lucky lately to see 400 miles from a full tank of mostly urban economical driving. it takes around 43 litres to fill to the brim.

MAF wiring loom damaged and will be repaired soon, but weondered if anything else you can thinik of ?

any ideas ?

Economy tends to be lower in the winter, also being mostly urban driving your MPG won't be as good as someone who drives on the motorway I currently average about 55MPG but I have a newer diesel so it's a more efficient engine, only thing you can do is take your time accelerating and go easy on the brakes and see if you can extend onto a but of motorway driving when going to work.

11 minutes ago, Ryan_Tango said:

Economy tends to be lower in the winter, also being mostly urban driving your MPG won't be as good as someone who drives on the motorway I currently average about 55MPG but I have a newer diesel so it's a more efficient engine, only thing you can do is take your time accelerating and go easy on the brakes and see if you can extend onto a but of motorway driving when going to work.

Hi, thank you so much for replying

I feel really !Removed! off atm, main reason for getting new car was I wanted a fair bit more mpg, the mpg for my car is ideal for me if only it was getting close to what it claims too.

I had a problem with leaking injectors in the past so may be a good idea to check them over on the one's that we glues back in.

The maf wiring on my car is damaged hence EML on but I have ordered more wiring and am waiting for it to come and should be here next week hopefully. do you think repairing the MAF loom will improve my mpg noticeably ?

also may repalce glow plugs

I'm not too sure how much a new MAF loom will affect your MPG but won't hurt to see, just keep the car in a good serviced state and you should be okay, but something you could look into is Terraclean, a few members have had this service done to their diesel and petrol cars including my self I treated my dad to a Terraclean and he ended up getting 10+ extra MPG, Terraclean is just deep cleaning of your engine and costs approx £100 but is well worth it!

http://www.terraclean.co.uk/

I would have thought the MAF being damaged would have an effect as it is what controls the fuelling of the car based on the amount of air entering the engine.

Book mpg figures are always overstated by every manufacturer, my Audi never got anywhere near what the claimed mpg figures were and either does my Fiesta so far.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bwoody said:
33 minutes ago, bwoody said:

I would have thought the MAF being damaged would have an effect as it is what controls the fuelling of the car based on the amount of air entering the engine.

Book mpg figures are always overstated by every manufacturer, my Audi never got anywhere near what the claimed mpg figures were and either does my Fiesta so far.

Hi

I understand that car';s don't usually meet the written statistics for mpg but they should at least come close or maybe witih nn 10 mpg difference

A guy from a car parts salvage yard rang me on Thursday and said he had a MAF loom off same car, same engine size and same engine code with same amount of wires so I bought that on Friday and should get it next week. Not getting whole wiring loom, he is cutting it from the plug and giving me loads of wire and the plug for  £36.it should most certainly help improve the mpg of my car.

thanks

35 minutes ago, Ryan_Tango said:

I'm not too sure how much a new MAF loom will affect your MPG but won't hurt to see, just keep the car in a good serviced state and you should be okay, but something you could look into is Terraclean, a few members have had this service done to their diesel and petrol cars including my self I treated my dad to a Terraclean and he ended up getting 10+ extra MPG, Terraclean is just deep cleaning of your engine and costs approx £100 but is well worth it!

http://www.terraclean.co.uk/

According to many it can affect mpg as it controls how much fuel enters the engine via air/fuel ratio.

I have never heard of terraclean, I will consider it.

ty

The mpg figures for vehicles is calculated under lab conditions which you will never ever achieve in the real world and the distances over which the figures are calculated bear no resemblance to any form of driving known to man or beast! 

How the 'official' mpg figures are calculated ..... http://www.dft.gov.uk/vca/fcb/the-fuel-consumption-testing-scheme.asp

2 minutes ago, Russ said:

The mpg figures for vehicles is calculated under lab conditions which you will never ever achieve in the real world and the distances over which the figures are calculated bear no resemblance to any form of driving known to man or beast! 

How the 'official' mpg figures are calculated ..... http://www.dft.gov.uk/vca/fcb/the-fuel-consumption-testing-scheme.asp

Hi

As I said to somebody else here, I understand dthat, but it should come withi 10 mph difference, so the max written mpg for my car is 64.2 mpg, so I should at least see 55 mpg

14 minutes ago, Fastlife91 said:

Hi

As I said to somebody else here, I understand dthat, but it should come withi 10 mph difference, so the max written mpg for my car is 64.2 mpg, so I should at least see 55 mpg

Never seen any information anywhere that stipulates the mpg figures 'should' come within 10mpg, the fact remains that the official figures mean didly squat and should be taken with a pinch of salt.

You keep asking the same question...  The MAF is one of the main inputs that the ECU uses to meter fuel.  Until you fix that your MPG figures are completely irrelevant.

I think you'll be lucky to see over 50mpg on a 1.8TDCi in winter myself even with the MAF fixed though. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

You keep asking the same question...  The MAF is one of the main inputs that the ECU uses to meter fuel.  Until you fix that your MPG figures are completely irrelevant.

I think you'll be lucky to see over 50mpg on a 1.8TDCi in winter myself even with the MAF fixed though. 

These same questions have been asked for months . . . . .  yawns. .

• Like 3

Just now, MONDEO TXS 2.2 said:

Really, might have made sense for the OP to listen to some of the replies in that case.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bwoody said:

Really, might have made sense for the OP to listen to some of the replies in that case.

True  . . .  i gave relevant advice LAST YEAR ! :wacko:

• Like 3

Just now, MONDEO TXS 2.2 said:

True  . . .  i gave relevant advice LAST YEAR ! :wacko:

It's taking a long time for this MAF issue to be fixed then - drive a knackered car about for months and then complain about the mpg lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bwoody said:

It's taking a long time for this MAF issue to be fixed then - drive a knackered car about for months and then complain about the mpg lol

Most of us original repliers have given up - it's painful & pointless going over & over & over the same old subject matter with nothing fixed or replaced.

I'm sure it's a sad wind up

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MONDEO TXS 2.2 said:

Most of us original repliers have given up - it's painful & pointless going over & over & over the same old subject matter with nothing fixed or replaced.

I'm sure it's a sad wind up

Certainly sounds that way

A misreading MAF would definitely affect economy.

The ECU needs accurate and up to date parameters to properly adjust fuelling to air density/temperature.

• Like 1

As stated before the official figures bear no relation to actual. When  car is tested under lab conditions tests start when the engine is at full working temperature. They can not test from cold. What is cold 0 degrees -5 degrees it varies day to day but full operating temperature is a known. When you drive your car you need to go through the warm-up procedures which means enriched fuel mixtures. In the lab the car has no wind resistance or turbulence from other vehicles.

The reason for manufacturer's figures is to ensure all vehicles are tested to exactly the same perimeters to enable the buyer to make true comparisons. However many expect to achieve these figures which understandably leads to mis-understanding and since the VW incitement it would seem governments are considering introducing more accurate testing although they do not yet know what

• Like 2

My average MPG is about Fords urban figure.  I am happy with this as with all the cars I have had I usually get the manufacturers urban figure no matter what make they have been.

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 8:55 PM, TomsFocus said:

Sorry if that is what you think but I am not asking the exact same question more than once ( or twice)

If I see 50 - 55 mpg then I will be very happy with that.

I finally got the wiring today, it is just the 6 pin plug (not sensor as have a 4 pin and a 6 pin already) A scrapyard in London rang me last week saying they have the plug and wires from a car the exact same as mine and he says it has same engine code. Got it today but not all the colors  are the same as what are current on my maf but somebody said that does not matter much.

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 9:26 PM, MONDEO TXS 2.2 said:

read above

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 9:27 PM, bwoody said:

I did, read above

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 9:30 PM, bwoody said:

Read above, got wiring now and will be going to an auto electrician soon to have it wired on

Well whether it's exactly the same or not, it's still about MPG before the MAF has been fixed, can only deal with one problem at a time lol.

Glad to see you've got the wiring ready to fix it though.  Once it's fixed, give it a few days for the ECU to 'settle' then see how much difference there is in MPG.

• Like 1