Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear wheel bearing

Sk

Hi all,

I seem to be going through rear wheel bearings far too quickly.... So i have just replaced my rear bearing for the 3rd time in 6 months, everytimr I have replaced them I have still had play but I am confused on what the hidden problem is, I have just changed my stub axle too but there is still a bit of play, could anybody tell me what the problem is ??? Any help would be greatful,

thanks

scott

the bolts when you replace a rear bearing you must replace the hub bolts or it doesn't tighten properly I had it myself after a bearing replacement

Is it because the stub axle bolts are stretched?

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

Hello all, 

Artscot79-

i have replaced the hub bolts for new ones every time....

williamweb-

i have replaced the stub axle bolts when I changed the bearing and stub axle...

stef123

my mate torqued them to what it says on auto data... But yet there's still play, I am begging to lose the plot with it now!! As what ever the hidden problem is it needs doing on both rear drums

Scott 

hi all,

I have been using oem bearings but it clearly cannot be the bearing as I keep changing them... It has to be summin else but I just don't know what :/ 

thanks  

Pack it real tight with grease then get rid :wink: cos that noise would really really do my nut in :biggrin:

• Like 1

ippy- I have thought of it but it's such a same as the car has only done 76,000 legit miles and I have done 32,000 of them :( 

artscot79- I have thought about doing it but it's gunna cost a fortune to do the both sides :( 

The old ones you replaced, did they have play in them, also check the tyres, i thought my bearings where making a noise until i was told to change the crap tyre as the bearing didn't have play in it and it went away.

• Like 1

Skunner2k4- the old ones had play in them so I replaced them and there was still play.. So I replaced both drums and put new bearings in the new drums and there was still play, so I left it for a few weeks maximum and then they had both disintegrated, so I put another 2 new sets of bearings and a pair of stub axles, but yet there's still play 😡😡, I cannot win :( 

if there's still play after all that then the only logical conclusion is the hub although it looks fine isn't true anymore in which case only replacing it will solve the issue or the play isn't in the bearing but in the suspension itself or the bearings aren't being fitted properly

• Like 1

Could be loose suspension somewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

only way the bearing can fail that quickly is if the hubs not true the bearing will never seat right as said all other options have been investigated was it a bearing or bearing and hub complete on the rear I used the complete hub as its near impossible to press a bearing in without damage price wise I had an Indy that I trust use ford bearing and hub kit and new bolts £140 all I inc parts labour and vat

5 hours ago, artscot79 said:

only way the bearing can fail that quickly is if the hubs not true the bearing will never seat right as said all other options have been investigated was it a bearing or bearing and hub complete on the rear I used the complete hub as its near impossible to press a bearing in without damage price wise I had an Indy that I trust use ford bearing and hub kit and new bolts £140 all I inc parts labour and vat

It's very easy to press a bearing in without damage. 

• Like 1

never last no matter how careful you are so I buy with hub that way when or if it fails its warranties last bearing was ford bearing and replaced free as Sai new bolts must be used

You've never fitted a bearing correctly then if that's the case. 

• Like 1

I haven't fitted any no garage will do it and garages that have state they get never ending issues with them failing even using proper presses ford also state that they wont replace the bearing but hub due to issues and my mates garage said no matter what you do they fail in 6mnths to a year he only replaces hubs also

If you all care to check what focus he is refering to, its mk1, bearings can and are regularly pressed in with great success,  pattern or ford genuine,  

However the later mk2 does indeed only come as a complete hub assy with 4 bolts retaining .

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, iantt said:

If you all care to check what focus he is refering to, its mk1, bearings can and are regularly pressed in with great success,  pattern or ford genuine,  

However the later mk2 does indeed only come as a complete hub assy with 4 bolts retaining .

100% Correct :smile:

1 hour ago, iantt said:

Front bearings on a mk2 are a gen2 type bearing and are pressed in with a special kit - very easy. 

Sorry just realised we are taking about rear bearings, got self caught up there :lol: but regardless all bearings on the mk1 can be pressed and easily.

• Like 1

sort didn't notice it was a mk1 my fault on that one I can only conclude the hub is deformed damaged or not true anymore seen it once on a mondeo it just kept eating bearings not sure if there's a way to test it or the hub bolts the ones on the rear of the hub are stretched or not torqued correctly