Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.0t ecoboost slow to start at times?

Boroboy

Hello all,

I've owned my 64 plate 1.0t ecoboost titanium (powershift),  now for around 7 weeks. I'm thoroughly enjoying it. New to semi auto's too, but it behaving well, so far.

On an intermittent basis, the car sometimes takes a while to fire up. The longest time would be approximately around 5 seconds of solid cranking. The engine is turning over quickly, so battery seems OK. Which was replaced under warranty around a week after buying the car. battery was down to 4v, was shot. As I checked it with my multi meter. battery was then replaced under warranty. Basically put that down to being unlucky, suffering from a duff battery in a relatively new'sh car. Don't think that was related to any drain issues. As 6 weeks on battery is holding its charge well.

My question to any other 1.0t ecoboost owners. Is the intermittent slow starting issue normal? Since the new battery was replaced. Its never failed to start. Fires up quickly, normally. Just on occasion, it takes a little cranking before it fires up. Neither does it normally happen from a very cold start. Perhaps when its been stood for half an hour, then go to start it.

Any info would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

It's perfectly normal to reduce the cranking turn the ignition on but not the engine leave like this for 3s at least then turn it on as the engine will get primed with fuel

As long as the engine doesn't take more than 5-10s of continuous cranking before turning on its normal but shouldn't get this if ignition is on before starting :)

Info obtained from a Ford engineer that produces the drive train for Ford :)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Thanks for the info.

Perhaps its the design of the 3 pot turbo unit then.

It was probably around 5 seconds of cranking at its longest. That's straight from putting the key into the ignition, then turning it. Usually it fires up within a couple of seconds.

Its the first time I've experience this with a petrol engine. Other than that, its been great. I'll try turning on the ignition first for a couple of seconds, before cranking. See if that makes a difference.

Cheers.

• Like 1

It defo should make a difference as the cranking is the engine trying to start but hasn't put enough fuel pressure in yet that's why when you turn ignition on you hear the fuel pump :)

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Paramanic said:

It defo should make a difference as the cranking is the engine trying to start but hasn't put enough fuel pressure in yet that's why when you turn ignition on you hear the fuel pump :)

Yes could possibly be the design of the engine. Never had this issue on previous petrol engines over the last 30 years or so of driving them. It did feel like petrol starvation. 5 seconds is quite a long time to crank lol. My previous diesel started faster. Will try turning on ignition first for a couple of seconds. Then turn engine over. Probably occurred 1 in every 5 starts. Never from a cold start. Obviously something I've picked up on. Unless it needs a set of plugs (x3)? Covered 20k. Not due a plug change until its covered 36k or 3 years. Will keep an eye on it. Post back if issue continues.

I do like the handling ability of this Fiesta, main thing. Its fun to drive. Light car, helps. I wont go under 50's, showing my age lol. Also finding the poweshift smooth, great around town. 6th gear helps on a long run. Sits at 28k at 80mph:smile:I also think the manual 1.0t should have been fitted with 6 speed boxes, that could be said for a lot of casr now. Had no issues adapting from a manual box. Averaging 40mpg mixed driving for an auto, not bad.

Thanks again for input.

1 hour ago, Boroboy said:

Yes could possibly be the design of the engine. Never had this issue on previous petrol engines over the last 30 years or so of driving them. It did feel like petrol starvation. 5 seconds is quite a long time to crank lol. My previous diesel started faster. Will try turning on ignition first for a couple of seconds. Then turn engine over. Probably occurred 1 in every 5 starts. Never from a cold start. Obviously something I've picked up on. Unless it needs a set of plugs (x3)? Covered 20k. Not due a plug change until its covered 36k or 3 years. Will keep an eye on it. Post back if issue continues.

I do like the handling ability of this Fiesta, main thing. Its fun to drive. Light car, helps. I wont go under 50's, showing my age lol. Also finding the poweshift smooth, great around town. 6th gear helps on a long run. Sits at 28k at 80mph:smile:I also think the manual 1.0t should have been fitted with 6 speed boxes, that could be said for a lot of casr now. Had no issues adapting from a manual box. Averaging 40mpg mixed driving for an auto, not bad.

Thanks again for input.

Agree with you on a 6th Gear for the Manual as mine sits a little higher than yours at 80mph, would be a lot better economy on motorway for my long drives if I had a 6th.... think this is just prevalent in the 125 Zetec S though? 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JSMarsden said:

Agree with you on a 6th Gear for the Manual as mine sits a little higher than yours at 80mph, would be a lot better economy on motorway for my long drives if I had a 6th.... think this is just prevalent in the 125 Zetec S though? 

I'm not sure if its model specific, regarding all manual 125's being 5 speed? As its my first Ford. I've just rung the dealers. Waiting for a tec to ring me back to confirm the slow starting is normal.

Mine sits at 2800 revs at 80mph , oops did i really admit to speeding ! ?

• Like 2

You didn't say it was on a public road lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JSMarsden said:

Tec just rung back. Said 3 seconds was quite normal. 5 seconds plus not. So will keep an eye on it. If it gets any worse. Will be going back in.

Remember your odometer is out so when you say 80 is roughly 75[emoji14]so technically not speeding as under 10%[emoji14]

• Like 2

Know exactly what your talking about, mine very randomly after being left all days does take a while to fire up after cranking for 5+ secs. Probably only done it 5 times in 12 months . Not heard anyone else with same concern. Ive not bothered looking into it, probably hpfp taking a while to build up pressure for some reason.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, iantt said:

Know exactly what your talking about, mine very randomly after being left all days does take a while to fire up after cranking for 5+ secs. Probably only done it 5 times in 12 months . Not heard anyone else with same concern. Ive not bothered looking into it, probably hpfp taking a while to build up pressure for some reason.

I'm not alone then:laugh:

May be a trait of this engine.

Trouble is as it does it so randomly, its nearly impossible to replicate with diagnostics connected to view fuel pressure on cranking.

• Like 2

Exactly. 2 - 3 seconds of cranking is around normal. Just occasionally its 5+ with mine. I was then starting to think it wasn't going to fire up.

Has yours ever failed to start?

Mine only once, due to complete battery failure. Car 14 months old then with 16k covered.

Mine must be one of the faster ones. I hit the start button then immediately go for the s/s button, by which time its started. I'd guess that the longest mine ever cranked (once) was maybe 3 secs.

• 2 weeks later...

I've also tried engaging the ignition for a few seconds, prior to cranking. Makes no difference. My starting times are from 1-10 seconds. Now having issues with the powershift transmission, looking to reject the car now. As I've suffered from continuous issues for the two months of ownership. Not prepared to have it repaired again at the dealers.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club