Do Not Sell My Personal Information

TDCi idling problems 2004 58k

tdci stevie

I need some advice please with my 2004 mondeo 2.0 tdci, its covered 58,000 miles recent full service, bottle of wynns injector cleaner a good thrashing and still im getting funny idling...

When its cold or im in reverse gear (800rpm) its fine idling smooth, But when its warnmed a little the revs drop to around 750 and the needle bounces slightly and theres a slight juddery noise.

Have put it on my diagnostic sealey and there are no trouble codes stored or pending.

Have cleaned EGR valve (just incase)

When on diagnostic live data option it only makes this noise when the rpm is below 755 rpm, when it is above 755rpm its fine...?

I had a different couple of mechanics have a quick peep at the Aux tensioner pulley and they said that makes a rattly noise so cant be that (but i dont know) :unsure:

Does anyone know what my problem is or can point me in the right direction..?

Would like to try and fix this one myself if possible as funds are low at the moment and dont want to be ripped off at a garage.

Any help most appreciated.

mondy tdci can be fuel sensitive supermarket fuel can sometimes cause a low tickover, you could try an ecu reset so the engine can relearn the running peramiters, but make sure you know your radio code.

http://fordwiki.co.uk/index.php/ECU_Reset

Will look into this, and give it a go, worth a shot as its free lol, hope its that easy fix......

Any other ideas will be appreciated.....

Have now changed aux tensioner pulley and aux belt, disconected battery/ecu reset, improved BUT not 100%, still a little decrease in revs/vibration noise in that area (auxilary belt area), every now and then so confusing the F@*k out of me......!

Any help with this problem most appriciated...?

Any other help would be appreciated...?

Could this be the Crankshaft Pulley now....?

Its only covered 59,000 miles.....? :unsure:

The Tensioner Pulley was easy to change when i got stuck in, lots of garages were telling me the engine had to be hoisted so far up to get to it and others said about jacking the engine up.........!

But all it was, was to take the alternator off and support bracket

Could be your idle control valve. Don't know where it's located though

Sorry. Still getting used 2 the Internet on this phone. Never noticed the TDCi part. Your right so it can't be that! Lol

The mondeos had a problem with the hydraulic tensioner for the alternator belt. Was known to cause rough idle amongst other things. Not sure if they were only been fitted to the 2ltr st's so check you've got one.

Have changed the alternator belt and tensioner pulley there not hydraulic on these engines, someone suggested to me maybe injector recode or the pilot injector...........? :unsure:

An injector re-code may solve the problem but as far as am aware that's a ford job (etis)

An injector overhaull is more likley to produce better results. There's a good place near my way that does it. Not used the personally but a guy I used to work for swears by them. Try google for a place your end.

Im going to try one last thing before taking it to fords...

I will this weekend use most of the supermarket fuel thats in there, then get some good quality injector cleaner then refill the tank with diesel from B.P or Esso as a friend told me he had similiar problem in is bmw diesel when using asda fuel as it doesnt contain any detergent and b.p, esso etc. do, he heard it from a tanker driver... anyway he said since using premium fuel he has not had any problems and would not reccomend using supermaket fuel...

i will post results if it does the job

Im going to try one last thing before taking it to fords...

I will this weekend use most of the supermarket fuel thats in there, then get some good quality injector cleaner then refill the tank with diesel from B.P or Esso as a friend told me he had similiar problem in is bmw diesel when using asda fuel as it doesnt contain any detergent and b.p, esso etc. do, he heard it from a tanker driver... anyway he said since using premium fuel he has not had any problems and would not reccomend using supermaket fuel...

i will post results if it does the job

staistics say that Shell deisal is the best because its the only fuel that exceeds european standards by miles

all the others only just reach the mark!

Right ran it down too almost empty (46 miles remaining on trip comp) chucked in a wynns bottle of injector cleaner, then filled up £20 of Shell EXTRA - give it a good thrashing about for 80 miles, slight improvement must be down to wynns, so then put another £15 of Shell extra diesel in her upto now 150 + miles since using premium fuel and im suprised of outcome......

1st much improved performance.

2nd smoother driving

3rd 2-3 m.p.g gain

4th improved my idling/hunting problem but not 100% say improved by 85%.

So it is worth while getting rid of supermarket fuel at 1.05 to Shell 1.07 a litre, just wish i could get it to idle smooth but it is a fords at the end of the day l.o.l