Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus 2006 burning engine oil

adecashmoney

Hi, I bought an engine off eBay many months ago but I have noticed that the engine uses a lot of oil - like 3ltrs in two weeks. I have checked underneath the engine and there's no leak . What could be the cause?

Thanks 

Ford Focus zetec 1.8 (2006) 

It can only be going 2 ways, Either leaking it or burning it. If it was leaking it you would see oil spots when parked.

A good place to start if there is no apparent leak would be to check all the crankcase breather pipes to make sure none are blocked.

The pressure in the crankcase would build up and this would force the oil past rubber gaskets and seals so increasing oil consumption.

If you are having difficulty seeing any burning oil (grey smoke) then have someone drive the car with you following.

Watch for smoke particularly when coming to a junction and immediately when setting off again - this would point to valve stem oil seal wear.

Also, try and find a hill and follow your car up it - smoke here would indicate bad oil control rings on the pistons or cylinder wear which would need reboring and larger piston rings fitting (called a top end rebuild).

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 3

oil consumption is a known issue of the 1.8 Duratec HE engine. The problem is most likely caused by seized piston rings. An engine rebuild will be the best way to solve this problem.

• Like 1

If it's burning it and not leaking, then I'd guess worn rings if your burning it at that rate. Either bottom end rebuild or chuck another engine in 

• Like 2

On 03/03/2016 at 8:25 PM, Stoney871 said:

It can only be going 2 ways, Either leaking it or burning it. If it was leaking it you would see oil spots when parked.

A good place to start if there is no apparent leak would be to check all the crankcase breather pipes to make sure none are blocked.

The pressure in the crankcase would build up and this would force the oil past rubber gaskets and seals so increasing oil consumption.

If you are having difficulty seeing any burning oil (grey smoke) then have someone drive the car with you following.

Watch for smoke particularly when coming to a junction and immediately when setting off again - this would point to valve stem oil seal wear.

Also, try and find a hill and follow your car up it - smoke here would indicate bad oil control rings on the pistons or cylinder wear which would need reboring and larger piston rings fitting (called a top end rebuild).

Just being a bit picky here Stoney but burning oil produces blue smoke not grey smoke.

Yes it can produce grey smoke. 

Replaced an engine last year burning oil like no tomorow, colour of smoke? Indeed it was grey, very thick grey! :lol:

• Like 1

That makes me think something from the old engine that has been attached to new one is a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Am going to have it checked now as the rate it is burning oil is unacceptable. It's like using 2ltr for 70-80 miles or less . 

Spent loads of £ on this car and haven't enjoyed it one bit. One problem to another !  Now engine light comes on and off  

Engine light will be emissions related to the burning oil

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE

Took the car to garage to get it checked 

- was told that it is "possibly valve stem oil seals or piston rings issue"

- and was quoted £200 to strip engine to confirm problem and that likely quote for repair would be around £2000 to repair engine. 

Please, I need opinions as regards the quotes etc.

thanks 

get a 2nd hand engine cheaper, but your taking a chance whether that engine is ok

• Like 2

£200 to disassemble the engine sounds fair in my opinion as long as they disassemble the complete engine and not just the cilinder head.

The price of an engine rebuild highly depends on what is actually wrong with it, the prices of the parts needed to get it fixed and if you want to perform a full rebuild or a partial rebuild (only replace the parts that are causing the problem). After a full rebuild the engine is back in perfect/new condition.

You have to decide for yourself if the car is still worth it (for you) to invest such an amount of money. From an economical point of view investing this amount of money in a 10 Year old car does not really make sense.

• Like 1

in good nick its wort about £1800 so a second hand engine would be a better ootion

• Like 1

i put a recon engine in one same age lot long ago, bill came to 3000 ish inc lower arms, discs, pads, mot, service.

car wasnt even a good clean one. more money than sense.

£3000 to fix a 2006 Focus?  Think I'd have cut my losses and bought a replacement one!

• Like 1

On 2 March 2016 at 8:25 PM, Stoney871 said:

Please how do I check if the crankcase breather hose are blocked? 

Also is there any additives i could buy that clears the breather pipes? 

Thanks all for the replies.  

Tbh I don't know what to do... Reason being that , I just replaced the engine not more than 6 months ago and I spent almost 1500 inc fitting etc. 

Could the problem have been from the donor engine? - maybe I could get something back from the company that sold the engine to me.

doubt it sold as seen usually obviously the issue is the engine since the valve steams seals are gone sometimes you have to cut you're losses

I've had the same problem but a MK1 Focus. Doesn't take as much oil as stated in the OP. Varies each time I check (weekly). Been doing it for a good couple of years, no leak and no smoke.

On 04/04/2016 at 1:58 PM, MM92 said:

I've had the same problem but a MK1 Focus. Doesn't take as much oil as stated in the OP. Varies each time I check (weekly). Been doing it for a good couple of years, no leak and no smoke.

Mind if I ask what engine and how much oil its using? 

On 5 April 2016 at 5:45 PM, dhr90 said:

Mind if I ask what engine and how much oil its using? 

Sure.

1.6 Zetec Petrol. 51 plate.

It depends - can use none for 2-3 weeks and then one week it'll use anything up to 1/5 of a litre over the next week.

4 hours ago, MM92 said:

Sure.

1.6 Zetec Petrol. 51 plate.

It depends - can use none for 2-3 weeks and then one week it'll use anything up to 1/5 of a litre over the next week.

Not sure whether to worry about mine or not now. Mine burns while cold when pulling away, not sure if its burning  in cylinders or on the outside of the engine.