Photo
- - - - -

What MPG for Fiesta 1.25 petrol you getting?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 wisewoman

wisewoman

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta 1.25 2009
Posted 12 October 2009 - 08:22 AM

Hello,

I have just received my brand new Ford Fiesta 1.25 (82bhp) petrol engine car. I have a couple of questions and was wondering if anyone can enlighten me..

I know that a diesel engines mpg gets better with time. Is the same true of a petrol engine?

My brand new petrol engine Fiesta is only just getting 40 mpg. Now Ford gives a figure of about 50 mpg for combined driving and this, i would have thought, should be what i am getting. I don't just drive aroudn cities stopping and starting. I do a bit of town driving with longer motorway / dual carriage stretches inbetween. For example my commute to work and back every day consists of about 22 miles of dual carriageway with a couple of roundabouts and about 5 miles of driving through a town to get home.

I have tried employing some 'hypermiling' techniques. I rarely rev above 2500, I am very conscious of my light touch on the accelerator, i drive steadily, change up gear asap etc but still the mileage of about 40 mpg does not seem very good to me! What are the rest of you getting?

Here are some figures...

I have put 65 of petrol in the car since i got it. At 1.02 per litre this has given me 63.7 litres which is about 14 gallons. In that time, my car has done 568 miles. Doing the maths this comes out at 40mpg.

MNy previous car was a diesel, a 14 year old Peugeot 106 which of course easily did 65+ mpg. I had expected my new *petrol* car to do less but I didnt expect a much more modern and new engine to do quite as low as this, especially when Ford quote 50mpg for combined driving. I shudder to think what I would get if I did just drive aroudn cities all the time!

Any thoughts or have I just been spoilt by havign a diesel for the last 10 years?! :-)

Thanks
Melissa

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 DNStuff

DNStuff

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Ford Model: Mk6 Fiesta Zetec 1.4

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:04 AM

40mpg isn't bad for a petrol engine really, but you should see more MPG out of it the more you drive it, and the more worn in the engine becomes. The quoted figures for cars are rarely attainable in the real world unfortunately.

If you want to work out what your MPG is exactly then I would use something like this:

http://www.torquecar...-calculator.php

Based on the figures you quoted you have done 40.54 MPG, or 11.44 pence per mile.

If your commute really is 22 miles of dual carriage way and 5 miles of town driving then your fuel bill for travelling to work will be roughly 710.42 per year give or take depending on how much holiday you get and how much petrol prices change. Scary stuff once you work it out!

#3 harweyko

harweyko

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta MK7 1.6l Ti-VCT

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:18 AM

You can compare your MPG here with another 90 Fiestas with same engine: http://www.spritmoni...1...&power_e=70

It`s in l/100km but you can easily calculate MPG....

#4 sussex

sussex

Too much time on the boards

• PipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Ford Model: Was - 1.4 Zetec / Now - 1.6 ZS

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:36 AM

My 1.4 is giving me 37-40 mpg (on the trip computer)

#5 la3195

la3195

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Ford Model: Zetec S

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:45 AM

i think that you will find after you've got a few thousand miles under your belt the mpg will improve. i have the 1.6 petrol and if i behave i can easily get mid/high 40's on a long run.

#6 sussex

sussex

• PipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:40 AM

How come after 14,000 miles I am lucky to get 41/42 even if I drive stupidly well, not breaking 60mph, hardly breaking or accelerating unless I have to?

My drive to work is 25 miles each way, all but 2 miles are dual carridge way or motorway!

#7 DNStuff

DNStuff

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Ford Model: Mk6 Fiesta Zetec 1.4

Posted 12 October 2009 - 11:44 AM

How come after 14,000 miles I am lucky to get 41/42 even if I drive stupidly well, not breaking 60mph, hardly breaking or accelerating unless I have to?

My drive to work is 25 miles each way, all but 2 miles are dual carridge way or motorway!

Alot depends on the gradient of the road. If you travel on any hills or if there are lots of traffic lights causing you to stop start at either end of your journey perhaps?

#8 alexavfc

alexavfc

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta MK7 Zetec S
Posted 12 October 2009 - 11:57 AM

On average on my 1.6 I'm getting 37 mpg. Mostly round town driving and dual carriageways, no motorways, only done 700 miles so far, and to be honest I'm quite pleased with it on petrol, its easily as good as my 1.4 MK6

#9 meddyliol

meddyliol

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec 1.4i

Posted 12 October 2009 - 05:26 PM

I am getting 48 - 50 out of my 1.4 with about 360 miles on the clock. :rolleyes:

#10 studly

studly

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Name: s
  • Ford Model: Crumpled DS3
  • Year: 2011

Posted 12 October 2009 - 05:27 PM

My previous mk7 1.25 was doing on average 40mpg with a total mileage of 2980 on the clock, but since i've had the 59reg 1.25 i'm only getting 36mpg but i've only done 387miles so far.
Hopefully it will get better after it's got some more miles on the clock.
My route to work is only 9.5miles but it's rural miles on cruddy lanes :huh:

#11 sussex

sussex

• PipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 06:10 PM

I am getting 48 - 50 out of my 1.4 with about 360 miles on the clock. :rolleyes:

Fantastic! But again, how does that work? When I have 13k on the clock and cant get over 42mpg even if I drive like a SAINT?!!!! on my 1.4 MK7?

#12 Brent M

Brent M

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec 1.25
Posted 12 October 2009 - 06:14 PM

Most of the Ford MPG assume you drive at about 55 mph lol

#13 cj57

cj57

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Ford Model: '59' Fiesta Zetec
Posted 12 October 2009 - 06:21 PM

My previous mk7 1.25 was doing on average 40mpg with a total mileage of 2980 on the clock, but since i've had the 59reg 1.25 i'm only getting 36mpg but i've only done 387miles so far.
Hopefully it will get better after it's got some more miles on the clock.
My route to work is only 9.5miles but it's rural miles on cruddy lanes :huh:

I'm on 37.1 mpg for about the same mileage and similar daily trip on B roads. Slowly creeping upwards and still some running in to do. Would probably be content with early to mid 40's mpg in the next few months.

#14 irononreverse

irononreverse

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta Zetec Mk7

Posted 12 October 2009 - 06:22 PM

Most of the Ford MPG assume you drive at about 55 mph lol

I managed 50.2mpg once. but normally it tends to be around 37-40 ish.

#15 slick123

slick123

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Ford Model: Zetec Climate
Posted 13 October 2009 - 01:09 PM

i just worked out my figures using the torques website apperantly im getting 23MPG city driving im guessing thats okay

i dont thrash the engine just alot og accelerating an de accelerating

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users