Do Not Sell My Personal Information

death of the diesel

artscot79

about time i hate deisels and the crap they spue out.

i cant understand why the let 25 year old cars have tax free .must be the worst engines new cars are so much better but wee have to pay not right,

• Like 1

There'll be less than 1% of cars 25 years and older on the road...  And they'll only be driven at weekends.  Be less emissions from all of them together than one plane trip to the USA...

Current tax only goes on CO2 as well...  Which is why I pay £30 for my nice clean diesel and you'll be paying £150ish (iirc?) on your disgusting petrol! :tongue: 

• Like 2

£20 for my disgusting petrol. lol

• Like 2

What a load of krap that article is. Diesels will never be 'taxed' of the road as it'd cost the government billions in compo to diesel drivers ie buses trucks lorries taxis delivery vans ambulances police cars fire engines etc etc.

it will happen the uk I being sued for not meeting emissions promises that should have started in 2001 make no mistake its coming wether people choose to accept it or not diesel fumes are way more toxic than petrol .it will cost the government no compo at all they don't have to compensate anyone you bought it its you're problem this Aprils budget will set the ball rolling and next years petrols will all cost £140 road tax do you think diesels will get away with cheaper tax...it wont happen they will be priced off the road as for emergency vehicles they will be lower tax anyway as they're a necessity trucks will pay more so we pay mire at the shops plain and simple

why dont they make all cars lpg ? they say all they put out is water vapour .

You're thinking of Hydrogen... 

LPG is still petrol essentially, it just has slightly lower NOx and CO2 levels.

And we don't have hydrogen because it's difficult to store without exploding lol.  There are a few hydro cars in the US though.

I'm not keen on the Diesel and never was. Its hard to beat a fined tunes clean petrol engine any day. There is nothing as bad as the loud diesel in front at he traffic lights taKes off and  the burst of smoke that comes put lol! :smile:

I tried diesels back in the day and even new modern ones and although they have come a long way the petrols are still ahead in many ways and now with the likes of eco boost and other petrol's with turbos coming out I think that most of uk will go back to petrol for many reason but mainly reliability and cost. 

Just my thoughts though !!  :tongue:

• Like 2

I couldnt afford to run a petrol with my commute!

So you don't like diesels because you can see the particulates?  What about if you could see CO2 and CO?  :huh: 

I also hate sitting behind smelly diesels, but really it's not that often, it's mostly battered old cars with a tonne of boost leaks that are driven everywhere at 40mph so never get a chance to clear the exhaust out.  I sit behind just as many smelly peds or decatted saxo's tbh.

The thing is, yes modern turbo petrols are better but if you look at the majority of used cars between £3k-£6k it's mostly diesels, because they're cheaper to tax, do much better mpg and have more power/torque when compared to an equivalent petrol...  Used buyers will have no choice but to buy diesels for years to come and they shouldn't be made to feel guilty about driving the cars the government were pushing as the clean alternative 10 years ago.

If I was buying a new car it'd be a petrol, no hesitation.  But when comparing say 2008 Focus', there's no way I'd chose a 1.6 petrol over a 1.6TDCi!!  Considerably more to tax, almost double to fuel, and a severe lack of torque to go with all those extra costs...  Not to mention the CO2 difference if you're bothered by emissions.

The other thing to consider is how unreliable these modern turbo petrols will be in a few years time...no-one knows because they're not old enough yet, but I'll bet the turbos won't last 10 years for a start...  If they start taking out engines when they go, everyone will be put off them just as they're being put off diesels with DPFs now...

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

You're thinking of Hydrogen... 

LPG is still petrol essentially, it just has slightly lower NOx and CO2 levels.

And we don't have hydrogen because it's difficult to store without exploding lol.  There are a few hydro cars in the US though.

when i used to drive a gas fork lift truck i was told they only put out water vapour.lying !Removed!

I had all those options to eye up when buying my focus either the 1.6 zetec or the 1.6tdci. I went with petrol due to the lower running cost and no DPF or other diesel issues to worry about, With the family keeping the cost of the car down in all areas was the main thing for us. Yes the cheap tax is a bonus for some diesels but for me personally the tax is a no selling point as I would rather pay a little more for one thing if I save overall on the rest which is what we did Plus this year tax could be £30 a year and next the gov could decided to change all and up it so for me the practically, reliability overall day to day running costs are far more important. 

My father in law also went from 25 years of diesel troubled cars to a 2010 cmax 1,6 zetec same engine as myself and he was very impressed. Yes the lose of torque was a negative (But he is not buying for overall power or he would of bought an rs or something lol!)  he has had it 5 years now with no issues at all and finds it actually cheaper to run than the diesel cars he had before him,  It is better suited to his driving style and day to day driving routines, we do our yearly services ourselves which also keep prices way down and overall we are very happy with both cars. 

I think the issue is that no one car will suit everyone hence why there are so many options and trim levels ect and I do praise ford as all  the models they have across the range have many styles and trim levels to suit from young to old to family ect. But for myself and most family members who drive we find the petrol to be a better choice and as for running costs in fuel terms we find that there is not much difference, especially on the runs we make, and so many factors effect fuel usage but one thing remains no car will go without it lol! :smile:

P.S just for the record we are all ford lovers here so lets not start a war between the petrol and diesel owners. Three are many other manufactures out there so we all need to stick together lol!  :cool:

• Like 3

I think you hit the nail on the head there Sonic, everyone buys a car for there own reasons, no point getting all high and mighty and trying lord it over everyone else because we all have our own reasons and should respect that,

I do a lot of miles, it makes sense for me to get a diesel just now and if your close enough to my tail pipe for 90% of the time I'm on a road then your too damned close and really ought to have bigger things to worry about then the NOX coming out of my bottom. 

At the end of the day for most of us it comes down to basic economics, we buy what we can afford to run, if they are going to tax the hell out of us even more for doing that, then they should consider who its going to effect the most.  Companies might take a relatively small dent in profits which can be corrected with a slight increase in margins, rich folk who can buy the fancy new cars with the low emissions then not have to worry about them breaking down because they sell them every second year, they wont give a damn about any changes which leaves the second hand market, ie, most of us, who ends up with older cars that are inherently less eco friendly more likely to break down and generally speaking are driven by the least likely in society to have disposable income to pay for any additional tax hikes. 

There is a problem, if you ask me I think new cars should have a tax hike to pay for the emissions for the life of the car with everyone else paying a nominal "road tax" there after based on size or weight of the car, manufactures should be forced to design cars to be relatively cheaply serviceable, (replaceable DPF cartridges for example) all new cars traded in should be completely serviced including a new clutch as minimum (why should the second hand market pay for Little Jonny ringing the balls of his 18th birthday present)  and I could probably go on but you get my point :)

• Like 3

Darren I agree with everything there mate. Your spot on and I could not help but laugh out loud at the last part , "little johnny ringing the balls of his 18th presie "lol! :biggrin:

• Like 1

Give it a few years and some bunch of busy bodies will discover some gas being kicked out by the latest turbo petrol engines is killing thousands of people.

• Like 1

why not create a car that runs on all the hot air pumped out by people who open there mouths a lot and talk rubbish

Jamie

• Like 1

wots that saying   'guns don't kill people, people kill people' maybe the same could be said about  ANY car,

• Like 3