Do Not Sell My Personal Information

High mileage 1.6 tdci owners..

Tzsteve

I was just wondering what kind of mileage there engines are capable of if minded, in particular dpf/variable vane turbo models, as there is a lot of bad reports out there of black death, dpf failures, dmf issues etc etc,

Mine just clicked past 177,000 miles today its a 2006 w original turbo, its had the clutch replaced, dpf deleted, and various other bits and pieces over the years, I have a leak on injector 1 but plan to sort it next week,

There has to be a few out there with 200,000+miles

anyone?

Steve

WP_20160318_18_56_20_Pro.jpg

I've seen some on eBay in ex taxi's over 200k. Not sure if there's any on here though.  I'm surprised by your mileage tbh, mine will never see that lol.

• Like 2

With the injector seals working as they should along with regular servicing. There's no reason these engines can't go on & on really. 

Ive got a 1.6 tdci focus only 80k on it now but replaced all the horror bits  & mapped off the dpf ect before it even started to go wrong. Just for peice of mind. 

Me & my friend do a lot of work on fiestas with the same engine but 90hp.

weve just recently done injector seals on one that had 170k exactly , going strong as ever !

• Like 1

That gives me hope that there are a few miles left in mine - 2007 with 114k miles and running well at the moment.  DPF and EGR deleted and full set of glow plugs replaced last year plus normal servicing of oil, filters and tyres (oh, and timing belt).  Still on original clutch, turbo etc so fingers crossed...I don't see why 200k shouldn't be expected really.

• Like 1

Most of the known problems of this type of engine can be prevented by a shortened service interval and good maintenance. It is not a bad engine as long as it has been taken good care for.

The relative small oil sump causes the small amount of engine oil to contaminate very quick. Next to this the PCM injects a lot of extra fuel for the regeneration proces of the DPF. Some of this extra fuel does not burn and leaks between the piston rings into the engine oil.This way the already contaminated oil becomes dilluted with diesel fuel. Changing the engine oil about twice as much as described (by Ford) will prevent a lot of problems. 

In the Netherlands there are currently over 100 Focus MK2/MK2.5 cars for sale with mileages between 300.000 and 400.000 KM. Over 50% of these cars have the 1.6 TDCI.

• Like 2

I truly belive most Diesel engines dont even properly run in  until about 100,000 miles 

ive also got 2.0 tdci with just under 190k on it & that drives beautifully & gets more mpg than my friends one with half the mileage 

• Like 3

You can cause all sorts of issues around 100k...  Ever work on PD engines lol?

I depends on how it's driven mostly, I've seen diesels trashed by 120k, but also stripped 200k ones where you could still see hone marks!

• Like 2

85 just now and still pulling like a train, I think the next biggy will be the DMF and Clutch, it feels fine just now tho.  Injectors are leak free, and ive "fixed" the EGR and DPF along with installing a catch can on the breather.  6k services and all is good in the world. Apart from being noisy, shes a nice engine, recently been hitting an average of 64MPG as well :D

Mine hit 62k this week...  No way it'll double that lol.

64mpg?  Damn... Mine got up to 56mpg avg this month lol.  As diesel is only 99.9ppl though, it made for the cheapest ever pence per mile so far on the Focus (8.11ppm).

I actually saw one of eBay recently with 450K on the clock...must be a record for this engine?

Crikey!  I doubt the engine was original with that mileage though.

• Like 1

been doing a lot more motorway driving recently, was getting about 59mpg, dropped in 200ml of 2 stroke in to the take and boom! 64. 

2 hours ago, Dee_82 said:

been doing a lot more motorway driving recently, was getting about 59mpg, dropped in 200ml of 2 stroke in to the take and boom! 64. 

I'm getting around 55mpg on the motorway but on average it's mid to high 40's, maybe my leaking no 1 injector isn't helping,

must try that with the two stroke also..

does it make it Smokey? I take it its not worth trying if the dpf is still in the car?

All sounds promising then :smile: . Have blanked off the EGR and just fitted an oil catch tank. Along with the 6k service  intervals I hope my mk2.5 will have a long life. It's a great car when everything is working and I hope to hold onto it a good few years yet.

400,000 is about the cut off for diesels although everyone says common rail ones don' last. not true.

What about mechanical parts - what bits start going before the engine is likely to need major work?  I see questions about bushings, trailing arms, bearing, suspension, gearboxes etc so when does it become uneconomical to repair these with an engine which might or might not need work as well?  The other thing is electrics which start playing up, but that could happen anytime, new or old.  One thing I don't see too much of an issue any more is rust, unless the car has had a prang and the repair shop has done a poor job of it.

The reality is, everything is fixable BUT cars become uneconomical to repair much quicker nowadays.  Say the turbo fails on a DV6 when the car has depreciated to around grand...will it be worth paying a garage ~£700 to repair?  Nope!!  How long until they drop to that value is anyone's guess though...

• Like 2

Thing is it's not necessarily the engine that'll go wrong,it's the electrics in them nowadays

• 1 year later...

#cough#

On 19/03/2016 at 1:56 PM, FocusSmudge said:

I actually saw one of eBay recently with 450K on the clock...must be a record for this engine?

I'd love to see my 1.6 TDCi do 450k (miles), mine is at 320000 kms (~200000 miles), just been serviced, plenty of power.  And NCT til end of next year.

Fantastic engine but I fear next NCT will be an issue due to emissions here in Ireland.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a 2.0 tdci mk3 Monday that had done 220k. It was a bit poorly though and entered limp if it was hammered.

• 2 months later...

Hi.

Everyone who has leak by the injectors.

Black mass

Its the injectors studs.

I have focus mk2 1.6 tdci 130bhp remaped.

I had leak around all injectors.

I replaced everythings.

Manifold.plus all o rongs pluz all.injector seals.nothing.

But i jad a go with studs.

Took them.out and put them back in with ceramic glue.

No leak.

Car has 157000 and drives like new.

No faults.

Egr deleted in ecu.

This engimes are very good.

Drivi g on motorway long distance i was getting 65.7 mpg.

IMG-9c9fc280dc8deadb1e7950e876ebc291-V.jpg

• 1 year later...

just bought an 2011 plate mk3 with 175000 over the phone collect Monday here's hoping alls well

The 8-valve 1.6 TDCI which was used on the Focus MK3 is completely different from the old 16-valve 1.6 TDCI which was used on the Focus MK2/MK2.5. This topic originally referred to the old infamous 16-valve 1.6 TDCI which was known to have many problems.

Most of the known problems of the old 16-valve version were solved in the newer 8-valve version of the 1.6 TDCI. The 8-valve version however turned out to have different problems. For example bad fuel injectors (needing to change all 4 is not uncommon), defective clutches / defective 6-speed gearboxes (caused by low RPM and high torque) and problems with the emission control system.

The 95 and 105 HP versions do have an additional fuel injector and glowplug inside the DPF to increase the exhaust temperature during regeneration. Failure of this system is quite common and results in a blocked DPF. The 115 HP version does not have this emission control system which makes it much more reliable than the 95 and 105 HP versions.

• Like 1

My 2010 1.6TDCi has now got 189,000 miles on factory fitted turbo, 

It's been remapped blanked and gutted since 22,000miles 

Only issue ever had was a leaking injector seal 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club