Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Changing rear brake pads on Focus

Newuser

Planning to change rear pads on my Focus next weekend.  To avoid flipping the seals on the master cylinder I was planning to open the bleed screw as the piston is pushed back and collect the brake fluid.  I noticed in the Haynes manual though that caliper flexible hose should be clamped also.

Wondering if this is necessary as I assume any fluid would come through the bleed screw anyway.

The reason for clamping the hose is to prevent any fluid that is potentially contaminated with moisture (since the fluid is hygroscopic) from being pushed back up the pipework. I don't see why there is any risk of flipping the seals in the master cylinder. Surely when the master cylinder pistons are fully returned the cylinder is open to the reservoir so any residual pressure will vent back there.

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply.  According to Haynes this is a potential risk and advise opening the bleed screw and clamping the hose.  Would prefer not clamping the hose to avoid risk of damage.

Hi Gordon, if you're referring to the risk of flipping the seals I'd say Haynes have got it wrong. As regards clamping the hose if you use a proper clamp and it's only in place for a short time there is no risk of hose damage. Garages use these all the time when, for example, changing calipers or wheel cylinders.

• Like 1