Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2003 1.4 idle problems and engine sounds like a tank

Niff

Hi I started the car the other day fine and halfway through my journey my car started sounding like a tank. It now seems to struggle to idle with it being erratic and not sure what the problem is.

can anyone help?

Is it misfiring?

I'm assuming it's a mk6 (2002-2008) fiesta 1.4 petrol.

If so, the coil packs on these have an extremely high failure rate.

Try changing the spark plugs, Coil Pack & HT leads

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality detailing & Valeting supplies

It is that model, how much roughly do these cost?

grrr only had this car since January and it's a dog

Going more by the sound the engine is making and no mention of engine management light being on I assume you have not checked or had it checked for fault codes.

Do you know the service history, I wonder if its the original cam belt and it has slipped.

right,

all 4 leads spark when ignition is on ive unplugged one at a time and when i unplug 2 of them the engine goes to stall and when i remove the other 2 theres no difference? not sure if thats normal.

is there a way of checking if the cambelt has slipped without taking it to a garage?

the engine management light is on but came on when i had low oil and since topping up has never gone off, but car has been driving fine up til that point, 

i might add though that the car in question does use alot of oil, approx 2lt ever 400 miles or so. i think the piston rings are shot, no oil in radiator tank and no mayo in the oil, and i little blueish smoke out the back when in the lower gears nothing major and nothing really on harsh acceleration, but do get some when slowing down in the higher gears.

Odd that all 4 spark but 2 don't make a difference when removed.

The leads and plugs are wired as 2 pairs, 1 coil of the coilpack for plugs 1&4 and the other coil for 2&3.

Looking at the engine from the front of the car with cyl. 1 being on the left and cyl. 4 on the right, which 2 don't make a difference when removed ?

The cambelt was a bit of a longshot and hopefully it has been changed.

• Like 1

just tested it again now,  

its cyl 2 and 3 if i pull they dont make any different if anything if i pull out cyl 3it seems to improve slightly? though havent tried this whilst driving

many regards

Niff

Honestly I'd change the coil pack. It's an extremely common fault.. even if it's not at fault it's something that will need doing anyway

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality detailing & Valeting supplies

• Like 1

It's it an easy job? Looks fairly simple what sort of tools would I need, I assume the standard 16mm long reach socket and wrench?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

ive replaced the spark plugs, ht leads and coil pack but keeps on rough idling, and when i pull out the second ht lead from the spark plug it sparks as usual and theres still no change in the engine, it doesnt sound like its going to stall, grrrr, is there anything else this could be?

ive put in some redex and not theres quite a bit of smoke out the exhaust, surely thats not normal after adding it.

please help

thanks

Time to test injector and do a compression test.