Do Not Sell My Personal Information

semi-auto gear not changing -abs / gear cog light

greengumbo

Hi all, I have a 2004 Fusion+ 1.4 5dr semi-auto that has developed a problem with gear selection.

The gear cog and ABS lights were coming on intermittently over the past few months but car ran fine. Then the other day it would not switch down below 4th as I was braking at junctions etc. It would select 1st and move off okay after stopping. Then shortly after it would not start or select gear or if it did start the display would be blank rather than N. The gear cog warning and ABS were on.

RAC guy was really good and managed to get it running after raising the wheels and cleaning the small motors that change the gears (actuators ??). He said one seemed to be getting stuck. I managed to drive to the local garage although the car was still not downshifting from 4th.

The garage dont have a clue. They hooked it up t the computer and said the ABS front right was flagging a warning. I suggested they changed the speed sensor in the wheel as two years ago when my the front right spring snapped in the cold it had cut the wire and caused a similar gear / ABD problem. They now say that the car will sometimes start and shift into gear but then come out of gear and stop. 

I would like to think another garage might have a better idea rather than take it to ford dealership as it will be £££££. Do you have any diagnosis or solutions ? Could a refurb of the actuator and ECU for the gearbox help ? Have seen companies online that claim to fix and reset ?

Cheers

GG

The shift actuator is a known problem and there is a detailed fix here  I have done quite a few and its not difficult.

The TCU and clutch actuator is a combined unit and again there is info about it on various other posts.

As you have seen, there are companies offering to do the job for you if you don't want to do it yourself.

Cheers for the reply Dan - much appreciated.

So garage changed the speed sensor in the wheel and cleared the ABS light. Car drove for a while then same issue with gears. He says he can get it in neutral and start but then no gear. If he taps the actuator (think its the shift one, under a black fascia to the passenger wheel side of the box - small shafts should move when changing gear ?)

Does that sound like the shift actuator problem ? I'll let the garage know and see if they can follow the fix (since the cars there) or I'll try myself.

I would go for the shift actuator mounted on the front of the gearbox first, and the TCU / clutch actuator if that doesn't fix it.

The TCU clutch actuator is the box mounted by the inner wheel arch.

• Like 1

Okay will give it a go. Nothing to lose really since ford will want a packet for new parts.

Ill get it back from garage and then get into the shift actuator with a reamer......fingers crossed. That fix thread is excellent.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the shift actuator out and the shaft moves back are forth easily, not jammed. Will stick it back in (what grease ti guve it a touch up ? ) and check shift actuator wiring looms for breakages. If not this then might tackle clutch actuator TCU :( 

Don't use grease or any lubricant on the plastic bearing.
Should you play around with the TCU, never select reverse gear first off. Always select a forward gear so make sure you work on it where you can drive it forwards afterwards.

• 6 years later...

It can be the bushes in the moter on the tcm thay wear down and sends the gear box funny I have opened one before took some bushes out of a bilge pump filed them down to fit cut the old ones off soldierd the replacement ones in and wiped codes Amd car has run sweet from them onwards hope this helps 

• Sad 1