Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.6 Tdci Focus sluggish up long hills .

redzzed

Hi ,I   have recently bought a 2005   1.6 TDCI Titanium Focus  which  seems to go very well .

But a couple of times i have been on long hills  and the acceleration more or less stops

..today  it was at about 70 mph  in 5th gear  and doing about 2500   revs .

As  i come over the  crest of the hill it becomes energetic again .

Whilst i was   doing this  the fuel consumption reading  remained unchanged  at 60 mpg .

(my previous car was a  19 yr old  xantia 1.9td  and i never had this problem)

A pal of mine  is suggesting that i change the fuel filter , i do have the service history but its not clear  has the filter been changed .

Is this a good idea   and 2nd question is ..since i will  be getting a garage to change the filter ,are they likely to have problems

priming the fuel pump after this ??

the car has done 127,000

I was on the M6 in the outside lane .

my pal says he is part of a discount scheme and can get the filter (and oil + filter) at a discount .

any  advice appreciated

thx

dave

Edited by redzzed
spelling

filter change is a good start if you dont know when it was last changed, easy enough to prime for a garage to do.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, redzzed said:

Hi ,I   have recently bought a 2005   1.6 TDCI Titanium Focus  which  seems to go very well .

But a couple of times i have been on long hills  and the acceleration more or less stops

..today  it was at about 70 mph  in 5th gear  and doing about 2500   revs .

As  i come over the  crest of the hill it becomes energetic again .

Whilst i was   doing this  the fuel consumption reading  remained unchanged  at 60 mpg .

(my previous car was a  19 yr old  xantia 1.9td  and i never had this problem)

A pal of mine  is suggesting that i change the fuel filter , i do have the service history but its not clear  has the filter been changed .

Is this a good idea   and 2nd question is ..since i will  be getting a garage to change the filter ,are they likely to have problems

priming the fuel pump after this ??

the car has done 127,000

I was on the M6 in the outside lane .

my pal says he is part of a discount scheme and can get the filter (and oil + filter) at a discount .

any  advice appreciated

thx

dave

Get all filters replaced tbh, Especially the Fuel filter which has a Change interval of 37500 miles eeeeek 

Jamie

Hey there, don't know which hill you're describing - incline etc.... but it is only a 1.6.. My focus is a 1.6 tdci estate, and when I get a couple people in the back there is a particular hill that I have to drop down to 4th in order for it to stay at 70 on the dual carriageway... but when it's just me and my wife it tends to climb up happily in 5th...

Thanks  for the replies , to be honest i'm not used to this  forum and could nt  find my post.

a pal of mine is an ex ford employee  and has bought the filters  plus oil   using the ford discount scheme .

i will  get it serviced when  i get home to bristol ,am in the lake district at present .

the hill in question  btw , was not a steep hill , just a long one about 5 degrees  but a good mile long.

there  was just me and my bicycle in the back.

• 1 year later...

filters  done   months  ago and  still sluggish up hills and  sometimes having to change down gear (with only me in the car) , i am used to driving a 1.9td  and suppose i ll have to put up with this.on the straight and level  it does  80 mph at 2500  revs which i thoink is about right  for the 1.5xx   td engine  .

The Focus is a heavy car and unfortunately the DV6 engine just isn't torquey compared to other similar powered diesels, it's as if they designed it to be a diesel town car... :unsure:  When someone cuts me up on a dual carriageway incline it takes forever to get going again in 5th, but it runs out of puff quickly if I drop into 4th.  Heavy car, torqueless engine and poor gearbox ratios don't make it a nice motorway cruiser imo.  

• Like 1

Hey

I have owned 3 DV6 Powered Focus's 1 mk2.5 with the 5 speed box. and 2 with the 6 speed box. 

Straight Motorway cruising is not bad. inclines can slow it down.

The 5 speeder was better than the later 12 plate and 13 plate mk3's

Revs at 2500 is about right

It has 240 nm of torque and around 110ps

its never going to be a stormer.

Is the oil the correct 5-30 type. is the air filter clean.

Jamie