Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Petrol in a Deisel

krs360

Should I have said my wife did it when it was actually me?!?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Should I have said my wife when it was actually me?!?

• Yes
    • No

Hi,

My wife has put about 15 litres of unleaded in my 51 plate 1.8 TDi Focus. then driven for about 3 miles. I tried syphoning it out, but there seems to be something to stop me doing this.

I have filled right up with diesel, and added a shot of Redex Diesel. Seems to be running ok now (got me me to work at least).

What are the potential problems I will have, how can I solve them, and how much damage is likely to have been done?

Thanks,

Chris.

Hi,

My wife has put about 15 litres of unleaded in my 51 plate 1.8 TDi Focus. then driven for about 3 miles. I tried syphoning it out, but there seems to be something to stop me doing this.

I have filled right up with diesel, and added a shot of Redex Diesel. Seems to be running ok now (got me me to work at least).

What are the potential problems I will have, how can I solve them, and how much damage is likely to have been done?

Thanks,

Chris.

Fords are fitted with an anti syphon device in the filler neck so you cant syphon the fuel. You dont state how much diesel was already in the vehicle before the 15 litres of petrol were put in. Assuming it was empty, injector damage, fuel pump wear and a sore ear when your wife hears you blamed her and you did it yourself........

Fords are fitted with an anti syphon device in the filler neck so you cant syphon the fuel. You dont state how much diesel was already in the vehicle before the 15 litres of petrol were put in. Assuming it was empty, injector damage, fuel pump wear and a sore ear when your wife hears you blamed her and you did it yourself........

Yeah, already got the sore ear when I did it!! As well as the humiliating call to the garage to say I did something usually reserved for old or stupid people!!

It just konked out on me on the way to the garage. They had to come tow me.

It had about a quarter of a tank, then the 15l of petrol, then filled to the top with diesel.

petrol will strip away any lubricating propities of diesel fuel so metal to metal contact is a factor, especually in the fuel pump.

Yeah, already got the sore ear when I did it!! As well as the humiliating call to the garage to say I did something usually reserved for old or stupid people!!

It just konked out on me on the way to the garage. They had to come tow me.

It had about a quarter of a tank, then the 15l of petrol, then filled to the top with diesel.

15litres is just under 1/4 tank so theres going to be some damage somewhere along the line. You'll be looking at things (fuel pump, injectors) wearing out earlier than they would have had you not done it. You'd have been better having the tank drained than brimming it with diesel to be honest.

15litres is just under 1/4 tank so theres going to be some damage somewhere along the line. You'll be looking at things (fuel pump, injectors) wearing out earlier than they would have had you not done it. You'd have been better having the tank drained than brimming it with diesel to be honest.

Yeah, it's turning out to be an expensive lesson!

Personally I blame Tescos... they had written a message on the pump, I was busy reading that rather than looking at which pump i had in my hand! The worst thing about it is I was on my way to my Mums for a slap up Sunday roast, which I missed out on.

Got a call from the garage last night - he said they got it started, and all they need to do is change drain the tank, flush the lines, and change the fuel filter. Said he'd do it for £80... that seems cheap, is it a good price?

In case "my wife" does this again, is there an easy way to drain the tank?

First you blame you wife now you’re blaming tescos :rolleyes:

I don’t know boy - what are we going to do with you :unsure: :D , just be a man and admit you made an error, you’re’ not alone 100’s of people do this every week. :blink:

Unfortunately even me (although quite a few years ago), but I realised as I was filling the car up.

Cost me £78 to have the tank drained but when you’ve added the cost of the wasted fuel plus cost of refilling it works out an expensive mistake.

Until I made this mistake I used to wonder what sort of duffer can put petrol in a diesel car :)

At least Ford now have a system on their new cars to prevent this happening ;)

First you blame you wife now you’re blaming tescos :rolleyes:

I don’t know boy - what are we going to do with you :unsure: :D , just be a man and admit you made an error, you’re’ not alone 100’s of people do this every week. :blink:

Unfortunately even me (although quite a few years ago), but I realised as I was filling the car up.

Cost me £78 to have the tank drained but when you’ve added the cost of the wasted fuel plus cost of refilling it works out an expensive mistake.

Until I made this mistake I used to wonder what sort of duffer can put petrol in a diesel car :)

At least Ford now have a system on their new cars to prevent this happening ;)

Ok, I admit it... it was me. Actually, I could blame the government before I admit it.... how does that one sound, it was the governments fault!!

Off to the garage to collect her now - £80 bill + all the fuel I put in before - £130 is a costly mistake that the wife, Tescos, the government, or indeed I won't be making again!!

Ok, I admit it... it was me. Actually, I could blame the government before I admit it.... how does that one sound, it was the governments fault!!

Off to the garage to collect her now - £80 bill + all the fuel I put in before - £130 is a costly mistake that the wife, Tescos, the government, or indeed I won't be making again!!

a total of £130, i think you got off very lightly. you will be paranoid about getting the right pump from now on i bet :P

a total of £130, i think you got off very lightly. you will be paranoid about getting the right pump from now on i bet :P

Too right mate! Got the car back last night and went straight to the petrol station (Sainsburys this time, not trusting those Tescos fellas this time :P )... you should have seen how many times I looked at the pump - must've looked like a right nutjob! Then in the queue I started getting all paranoid that I'd done it again - relief when she said £50 diesel!!!!!

According to the garage, "looks like some gypos have nicked some fuel from 'ere before" (said in a thick west country accent!)... there was a hole with a self tapping screw in the bottom of the tank. Wish I had seen that before I took it to the garage - could've drained it myself.

According to the garage, "looks like some gypos have nicked some fuel from 'ere before" (said in a thick west country accent!)... there was a hole with a self tapping screw in the bottom of the tank. Wish I had seen that before I took it to the garage - could've drained it myself.

Sounds like a cowboy garage draining the fuel out the easy way and making an excuse to pacify you to me mate.

My friend has a tdi Mondeo and she has brought somthing called a "fuel angel" which you fit into the filler neck of your tank .can be fitted from outside no need to take the tank/hose off and it will only allow diesel pump nozzels to fit the filler, so no more accidents with petrol diesel pumps cost her about £30 i think........... thought this might help guys

• 4 weeks later...
My friend has a tdi Mondeo and she has brought somthing called a "fuel angel" which you fit into the filler neck of your tank .can be fitted from outside no need to take the tank/hose off and it will only allow diesel pump nozzels to fit the filler, so no more accidents with petrol diesel pumps cost her about £30 i think........... thought this might help guys

I think that is the one some guys took to "Dragons Den" I remember watching it, but cannot remember if they got Dragon funding.

I've just come back to petrol after a nine month stint on diesel. But after lets just say over 40 years of putting only petrol in the tank. I painted a big white D on the filler cap in white enamel paint....cost nothing as I had the paint in my garage.

Anyway a very entertaining read, oh and obviously I voted YES

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club