• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 smaxy

smaxy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Ford Model: S Max
Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:22 PM

Can anyone help diagnose why our July 2007 S-Max is soaking wet? We discovered it sodden under the drivers mat, then found the floor chamber of the seat behind (where the wheel repair kit is stored) was also sodden. Have taken the car to Ford Dealer who have stripped it and found it soaking from front to back that side. They say the windscreen is leaking - we find that hard to believe.

We have googled ourselves to death and wonder is it the pollen filter seal (replaced at service in April) or the Air Con either blocked pipes or unit discharging into the car or could it be overflow because the bonnet drains are blocked?

Would really appreciate if anyone has any knowledge about this problem or can confirm if its likely the factory fitted windscreen can suddenly fail after 2 years and 3 months.

Ford say water ingress is not covered under warrranty, but our book doesn't say that. :(

Any help really appreciated. :unsure:

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 WJG

WJG

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Ford Model: S-MAX 2009
Posted 28 October 2009 - 06:08 PM

Can anyone help diagnose why our July 2007 S-Max is soaking wet? We discovered it sodden under the drivers mat, then found the floor chamber of the seat behind (where the wheel repair kit is stored) was also sodden. Have taken the car to Ford Dealer who have stripped it and found it soaking from front to back that side. They say the windscreen is leaking - we find that hard to believe.

We have googled ourselves to death and wonder is it the pollen filter seal (replaced at service in April) or the Air Con either blocked pipes or unit discharging into the car or could it be overflow because the bonnet drains are blocked?

Would really appreciate if anyone has any knowledge about this problem or can confirm if its likely the factory fitted windscreen can suddenly fail after 2 years and 3 months.

Ford say water ingress is not covered under warranty, but our book doesn't say that. :(

Hello.
Had a similar problem with a 2003 Mondeo with water entering from the drivers door.
There is a plastic "membrane" inside to protect the inside panel; this was damaged thus letting water in.
If this has not been changed on other models this could be the problem.
Ford put the matter right with no charge.
You could be unlucky and have front and rear doors leaking.

Bill

#3 Adronicus

Adronicus

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Ford Model: S-Max

Posted 09 February 2010 - 01:34 PM

Yes I have the same problem; no solution yet but I was looking at the underside of the car and there seems to be a plug or cap missing on what looks like a drain hole in the underside of the offside rear - right where the wet carpet is. It doesn't seem big enough to have caused all the water ingress however.

I did have a windscreen replaced recently, so this is more likely to be the cause of my problems than yours, however I recall that the carpet was wet in the footwell before that so lots of mystery still around mine. I'll let you know what I find.

#4 tunne1rat

tunne1rat

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Name: Steve
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:27 PM

There is a TSB regarding the aircon drain which causes this to happen.

#5 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,337 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 14 February 2010 - 10:06 PM

a fault carried over from fords colaboration with vw and vws suffer badly from it the plenum drain is likely blocked filling up with water then draining into the car with leaks start from the wettest part first if its the front then plenums or windscreen if fro m the rear then boot seals or water getting in past the rear light gaskets the pollen seal would drain into the passengers side not drivers so i wouldnt say it was that but it is a sligt possibility vws also had an issue with the bonnet release and cables routed through ther bulkhead on the drivers side where the rubber grommets didnt seal right and caused water to get in though not as mich as you say i find a hose over the car with someone inspecting is the best way to tell if its the windoew youll soon find out

#6 Tterry

Tterry

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Ford Model: S Max 2.0 TDCI

Posted 17 July 2010 - 12:15 PM

Ford say water ingress is not covered under warrranty, but our book doesn't say that. :(

Hi I have the same problem, I first noticed this following a long drive to the South of France with the air con on. The front and back foot wells were full of water and it was dripping out of the underside of the rear drivers side foot well. The weather had been dry for 3 days or more so this was not water ingress. SMC Ford at Crayford have attempted a repair on 2 occasions last year and I have just found following use of the air con that the carpets are damp again today. I have checked the carpets through the winter and it has been dry therefore the problem is condense from the air con unit. My car is an 06 2.0 TDCI and it is booked in for Friday 23rd July.

#7 Tterry

Tterry

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Ford Model: S Max 2.0 TDCI

Posted 17 July 2010 - 12:20 PM

Thanks, I have the same problem what is a "TSB"?

#8 kekec1024

kekec1024

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Ford Model: S-max

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:39 PM

Thanks, I have the same problem what is a "TSB"?

Techical service bulletin.

Any Ford service should repair this without any costs.

#9 All new Shmoo

All new Shmoo

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Ford Model: sMax

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:00 PM

Techical service bulletin.

Any Ford service should repair this without any costs.

I have the same problem with my Smax - clean water collecting in the drivers footwell - stops when I switch off the air con. I took the car to Ford and explained the problem and that a TSB existed for it but they claimed this was not the case and wanted to charge 85 just to investigate! Does anyone know the TSB reference so I can go back with some facts to back up the claim? Also, would this only be sorted FOC if the car was being serviced as part of the service or will Ford fix it if I just turn up. As Sods Law would predict the warranty expired 2 months ago so I'm not too chuffed about having to pay for known fault to be fixed.

#10 kekec1024

kekec1024

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Ford Model: S-max

Posted 06 August 2010 - 09:57 PM

I guess this is it.

TSB 9/3/08

Condensation dripping into the front footwell on the passenger side
45/2006
Should a customer express concern about dampness in the front footwell on the passenger side the probable cause is incorrect manufacturing tolerances in the
joints of the climate control housing components. This allows condensation to escape from the bottom corner of the climate control housing when the air
conditioning (A/C) is operating.
To rectify this concern, the evaporator cover must be removed and butyl sealing strip applied to the gaps in the climate control housing. The affected carpet area
should be dried/cleaned with locally procured cleaning agent. It is not necessary to install a new carpet.
Before carrying out the procedure detailed in this bulletin eliminate all other possible causes for water entry into the front footwell (e.g. water entry after passing
through a car wash or during very heavy rain).

#11 src

src

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Ford Model: smax 2.0 tdci titanium 2006

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:01 PM

drain pipe from aircon coming adrift is reported frequently as told by ex ford service tech

drain pipe dislodges regulary in smax drivers side footwell situated under centre console plastic....take centre console off take seat out pull carpet back push drain pipe back into aircon unit making sure o ring is intact see pic ...bond it in with silicone sealant so it does not come out again

#12 Robdablu

Robdablu

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Ford Model: smax08

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:04 PM

I found water collecting within the drivers footwell of my s max 08 last week! Rang the local Ford garage where we bought it from and was told by the service dept that leaks are not covered within the warranty. I was told to contact Ford customer services to register the issue, who informed me that I had to book it in for a investigation. This will be carried out next week.
I can't believe a car thats only 2yrs and 3mths old is leaking already!

Has anyone successfully managed to get Ford to pay for this fix should it be confirmed to be associated with the Air Cond??

Thanks

Rob

#13 Buff0515

Buff0515

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Name: Gary
  • Ford Model: Transit
  • Year: 2000

Posted 11 October 2014 - 11:09 AM

Hi Folks, thought I would letful you all know about my S Max 2010 plate 2.0 diesel.

First of all I was having an issue with the keyless non start not working when the clutch was depressed.

After checking various issues as pointed out on the forum,I was unsuccessful.

With the help of an Auto Spark mate,we traced the clutch sensor wire(top sensor), as there is two on the clutch pedal.Wire is blue/orange.

This wire runs from the pedal to the o/s/r qtr where the keyless control module is int he rear boot section.

No feed at the wire going into the module when clutch depressed,so broken wire or short somewhere.

To cut long story short I hear you say, we stripped the seats and carpets,plastic trim out the drivers side of the vehicle and found water in the footwells from the aircon drain pipe which was leaking into the car.

The wire concerned in the passenger offside rear footwell, was corroded at a join due to being submerged in water.

Repaired the wire and hey presto,car starts like new.

Fixed the pipe from the aircon by sealing in with the infamous mastic sealer and now car is still dry after running a good few times.

Will dry out carpets and put back in soon.

Hope this helps, certainly took me a while and pulling out what hair I had left,but the forum certainly helped.

Cheers.

#14 Buff0515

Buff0515

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Name: Gary
  • Ford Model: Transit
  • Year: 2000

Posted 11 October 2014 - 11:20 AM

Meant to say thanks Src, good shout with the info.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users