Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tesco diesel

Andy sxp

8 hours ago, jeebowhite said:

About 3p,times by say 65 litres it's less than 2 quid and ultimately can mean a difference of up to 200 miles. That's worth it in my books

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Sorry but an extra 200 miles on a 65 litre tankfull represents a 23% increase in economy. That's wildly optimistic.  

Agreed, it sounds crazy but it's genuine, on supermarket fuel driving economically I can't get much beyond 500 miles, on Shell doing the same it's at least 650 with a heavy foot and at least 700 over a long tank.

I just wish I kept my fuelly account updated as it would show more.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jeebowhite said:

Agreed, it sounds crazy but it's genuine, on supermarket fuel driving economically I can't get much beyond 500 miles, on shell doing the same it's at least 650 with a heavy foot and at least 700 over a long tank.

I just wish I kept my fuelly account updated as it would show more.

Full tank for me I can get easily 600 miles, but all station were shut when I was setting off to Skegness early in the morning last week and I had to fill up at Asda (I seriously hate supermarket fuel) it was fine all the way there and back but yesterday I noticed the power is just not like it usually is, filling up with my normal diesel today and I only got 450 miles from this tank full -.- I usually get 600 no driving changes and I do all motorway driving through the night and early hours. No doubt in my mind supermarket fuel just disappears from the tank. 

• Like 1

Quoting what you get from a tankful is notoriously inaccurate. To accurately measure your fuel consumption you have to fill your tank to the brim, reset the trip and when you fill up next time, brim the tank again, note the mileage, note exactly how much fuel went in and do the maths. Saying you get 400/500/600 miles per tank just isn't a scientific way of measuring mpg.

• Like 1

On Tuesday, April 05, 2016 at 3:56 PM, Andy sxp said:

Hi all , new to the forum as just bought another ford . My 2009 1.6 tdci focus has been running fine since we bought it a few weeks ago, I've been putting bp ultimate in it but my wife (against my advice) filled it with tesco diesel and 20 miles later the engine light came on, booked it into ford this frinto get it checked but have any of you know of any issues with cheap fuel or have had the same happen? Seems too much of a coincidence to me. Cheers in advance .

You know all the white bread that doesn't sell in Tesco,

They use that to filter agricultural diesel then add some food colouring to make it look like it's for road use then profit on the Tax margin.

Tesco Ireland has been caught selling laundered Diesel twice here in Ireland 

• Like 2

hahaa, actually thought you were taking the pee, but it seems its at the very least that partly true! lol

cheeky sods

• Like 1

My mother and i have exclusively used supermarket fuel in all of our cars right back to a 1980 V plate 2 litre Ford Granada L and never had any problems with carburettors and or injectors.

I also worked in a Fuel Filling Station for around 6-7 years and all the fuel came by lorry straight from the refinery either from Avonmouth/Kingsbury or Erdington Birmigham

Fuel has to meet BS EN590  (Revision e.g 2016)  for Diesel

BS EN228 ( " ")For Unleaded

Bs En7800 ( " " ) for Super

Fresh fuel then has additives dependent to the retailer added upon loading into a tanker,  

The Morrisons i worked at had between 1 and 2 deliverys a day. 1-2 X 38,000 litres

Not sticking up for but stating the facts.

Jamie

Thanks for al the replies folks, just to update it turns out it was the turbo over boost  valve solonoid at fault, all replaced now.

So after all the comments about !Removed! supermarket fuel, it wasn't anything to do with fuel quality.lol this forum makes me laugh at times.:blink:

Measuring mileage is only part of it I cannot disagree with that point, though it's a good indicator. I live to a repetitive schedule, same route, same miles, same speeds, same destinations the only difference is if the traffic is a little more heavy or light and weather of course, but I find the weather rarely varies in my tests, I always have air con on, so know that never applies extra fuel use on a particular run. Overall I more often than not get the same mileage results, until I use supermarket fuel, then it changes. I suspect that my car had a case of IBS when it comes to supermarket fuel, sure anyone can eat a fry up, or a KFC, and for a lot of people it's fine, but some suffer acid reflux and IBS and I think this is my car. Having driven about 27k out of 28k miles on Shell, I recon the ecu parameters are set for best response to Shell, when the supermarket fuel is burned off, it has different properties which means I probably burn more per cycle resulting in lower mileage.

Fuel comes out of the same hole in the ground, that much is true, but it gets treat differently by different refiners, with different detergents, transferred in different containers and stored in different tanks underground. Much like anything, if you have less of a strict cleaning regime then you will be affected by dirty more than clean environments.

• Like 1

Does anyone use a specific additive regularly with their diesel fill ups?

If so what and how often?

Hi Mr F ,yes every fill up I put a slug of redex in.Not sure if there are any tangible effects but do it regardless.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

Redex doesn't seem to do anything tbh.

Forte and Millers seem to get decent reviews though, and recommended by a couple of diesel tech mates, I'm tempted to try some Millers Diesel ECOMax myself...  It's fairly 'cheap' on Opie oils compared to Halfords as well.  I've never been sold on additives until I was recommended Forte oil flush for a mates car with a stuck lifter...I'm not easily pleased and even I was amazed at how well it cleaned the inside of the engine, free'd the lifter as well.  I know it's not the same, but if it has the same effect on the fuel system/injectors then it might gain me a couple of MPG.

• Like 1

I use forte works well for me. I think you are wasting your money on redex

I use millers Eco max in my fusion and can defiantly say my engine is so much quieter, I'd like to think I get a tad more power but that maybe I my head, however I do get better MPG using it and on last testing came in at 7% more than not using it. 

• Like 1

I've used Millers on a Jag seems OK, but it does stink. I've also used 2 stroke oil, that's cheaper and it does seem to keep the engine quite. Has anyone tried it on a Focus?

I've used Millars since my 1st diesel in 2007. I've had it in my 1.6 diesel mk3 focus but now am using Archoil 6400 D. I use them coz diesel fuel in general is krap and there's far too much krap talked about it.

How does my car run with it? Better than without.

On 09/04/2016 at 4:39 PM, Andy sxp said:

Thanks for al the replies folks, just to update it turns out it was the turbo over boost  valve solonoid at fault, all replaced now.

Good news to hear it is all sorted, also proves why we should not jump to conclusions.

• Like 1

forum members jumping to conclusions? never seen that on this forum! lol

Haha we all do far too easy and too often. 

thats because everyone wants a quick answer to there topic , so we jump in and give advise, good or bad. lol,

1 hour ago, iantt said:

thats because everyone wants a quick answer to there topic , so we jump in and give advise, good or bad. lol,

I quite agree :yes:

On 10/04/2016 at 9:43 AM, TomsFocus said:

Redex doesn't seem to do anything tbh.

Forte and Millers seem to get decent reviews though, and recommended by a couple of diesel tech mates, I'm tempted to try some Millers Diesel ECOMax myself...  It's fairly 'cheap' on Opie oils compared to Halfords as well.  I've never been sold on additives until I was recommended Forte oil flush for a mates car with a stuck lifter...I'm not easily pleased and even I was amazed at how well it cleaned the inside of the engine, free'd the lifter as well.  I know it's not the same, but if it has the same effect on the fuel system/injectors then it might gain me a couple of MPG.

Miller's additive is very good. I used to use it regularly in my mk'4 PD 130/150 golf 's and it quietened the engine a fair bit and gave it smoother  acceleration.

On 9 April 2016 at 4:48 PM, iantt said:

So after all the comments about !Removed! supermarket fuel, it wasn't anything to do with fuel quality.lol this forum makes me laugh at times.:blink:

Well it seemed like a valid question at the time as it was the first time tesco fuel had been put in the car since we had it.  I only ever use bp in my merc and never have a problem with dpf or egr etc yet the second tesco went in the focus on came the engine light, seemed like too much of a coincidence. Even so will be insisting only no goes in from now on.

It was avalid question, I still don't understand why people say it's the same, then go on to say except for the additives,thats what people £6 a tank full for. On another note I have a Kuga 9000 miles went to Shell garage and used the super diesel, EML came on almost instantly:sad:

• Like 1