• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 jimthefish

jimthefish

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Ford Model: Fusion 2
Posted 20 October 2009 - 02:05 PM

Being a disabled driver I purchased a 2003 Fusion with Durashift. Soon after purchasing it, it s developed a noise with a vibration. After being told by several Ford agents (including the main one in Birmingham) that the gearbox is based on the old DAF technology and the rubbing noise is the belt drive rubbing on the variant cones. I decided to buy the fiesta manual and have a look.
Their information was a load of rubbish, its a standard gearbox with electronic clutch and gearshift bolted on, I now feel a lot better as I have been driving a motorhome with similar controls, its called click and Go and supplied by Vehvac technology (have a look at their site). It looks like most of the problems are electronically based.
I have found out that the judder I get when it's warm is the electronic clutch control getting a signal from some other source, a faulty electronic probe or a warped clutch plate. I'm an engineer and feel relived that most of the repairs are under my control and not at the mercy of garage repair rates currently running a 100 an hour. Can Durashift owners with problems post some of the symptoms or solution, we can then have a human database and be well prepared for a visit to the diagnostic man with his magic box, Im sure we can cut the costs of repairs down.
Maybe we can self diagnose problems between us.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 mintalkin

mintalkin

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts
  • Name: mintalkin
  • Ford Model: mondeo tdci 130
  • Year: 2006

Posted 20 October 2009 - 03:25 PM

did you get a warrenty with the car?

#3 jimthefish

jimthefish

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Posted 20 October 2009 - 03:47 PM

did you get a warrenty with the car?

Yes 12 months, but only the AA 5 star

#4 pete121

pete121

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Ford Model: Fusion Zetec Climate 1.4 durashift
Posted 20 October 2009 - 08:25 PM

Hi Jim,
I recently, purchased a 2006 durashift fusion (36,500 miles), and initially experienced an awful judder when pulling away, usually just the 1st two standing starts from cold, and very occasionally a light judder when 'creeping' in traffic, once warm no problems at all. The best way I can describe the noise/judder was as if the driveshaft spline had popped out and in, repeatedly for a moment on the few occasions that this happened. However, I also suffered a handbrake seizure some days ago, and in forward/reverse, forward reverse, getting more and more aggressive with the car, the handbrake released and it came up with 'transmission failure' and a warning light on the dash. switched off the ignition and allowed a moment for the ECU to reset, all was well with the gearbox...and....touch wood...my judder/noise problem hasn't manifested itself since.(nor has the handbrake seized again either car had been left standing for well over a week on a hill which I think was the cause of that, initially.)

I have found my local Ford dealer very helpful and forthcoming with info, (probably because I have my company Mondeo serviced there) but he explained to me that there have been very very few issues with the electronic side of things, the clutch plate is just like a normal clutch plate, as is the pressure plate (about 130 for the kit here in Ireland) , and they do wear out probably slightly faster than a normal clutch, read into that what you will, (his words not mine), however, he did mention that there have been a few issues with the hydraulic release bearing unit, (about 170 here in Ireland)

hope this info helps, and thanks for the helpful post, a good idea!

regards
Pete.

#5 jimthefish

jimthefish

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Posted 21 October 2009 - 12:47 PM

Hi Pete, brilliant mate, believe it or not last week my son said he could smell burning, as the car was juddering I though clutch. It turned out to be the back brake sticking on occasionally. freed it all Ok no Juddering. One other interesting point, when you are accelerating and the side of your foot catches the brake pedal you get the same affect, with the added feeling that the engine is going to land in your lap. Being disabled and having to drive with my left foot this is easily done.

#6 Big Bob

Big Bob

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Ford Model: 04 Fusion 3 1.4 Durashift

Posted 21 October 2009 - 05:23 PM

Being disabled and having to drive with my left foot this is easily done.

Have you thought of having the pedals swapped, I've done a few a long long time ago (on mark 3 Cortinas) for left footed drivers.

#7 jimthefish

jimthefish

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Posted 21 October 2009 - 05:46 PM

Hi Bob, I would do but can you visualise my wife driving it whilst talking to her friends. I know woman can multi task but I think its asking a bit much. If she asks me for a divorce and wants half the house I might do it. No seriously, I used to do that when I was young, the best was the old mini you just swapped the master cylinders on the bulk head, Mind you that was when I was 16, thought I knew better and the first time I tried it I rammed into the back of my dad Vauxhall victor which was made from the thinnest sheets of steel ever used in a car bodies, I completely demolished his boot.
Just for reference on the Fusion at the side of the accelerator there is about 3 of space behind the plastic facia panel, I cut a bit out and my shoe fits in with ease, it covers an electic plug joint that can be easily redireted. Thanks for the idea, cheers mate.

#8 jimthefish

jimthefish

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Posted 01 November 2009 - 08:17 AM

Ok latest update on the banging that sometimes happens when I pull off, this happens very infrequently and usually preceeded by a slight shudder.
Got under the motor and pulled and pushed to see if anything was loose. Well one exhaust bracket was a little warn, so replaced it. Fingers crossed (Fusion durashift drivers can do that when driving) I think I have solved it.
The exhaust is so close to the body any loose or warn brackets lifts up exhaust pipe and it hits the underside of the bodywork. Mine was under the drivers seat, have a look sometimes you can just see where its hitting.

#9 jimthefish

jimthefish

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:42 AM

OK here we go again, new problem, the light for gearbox failure came on 3 times last week. Apart from avoiding being rear eneded, it put me off driving for a while. Anyway after phoning the ford dealers they said there isn't any diagnostic check to find out what is wrong. So took it to have the diagnostic on the engine all was correct (no faults) So its the gearbox actuatorS. As I mentioned before its a standard gearbox and all the gearchange and clutch control is done from 2 bolted on actuators. Not paying 100 an hour especially as the mechanic said its trial and error the only way they can find out what is wrong is if you take it in when its not working. (great how do you get it there i asked) They never find any errors if they are intermittent. Going to speak to ford to try and get some diagrams of the actuators and check them out myself. HAS ANYONE HAD THIS PROBLEM AND HAD IT SORTED OUT, IT WOULD BE GREAT IF PEOPLE GAVE ME SOME OF THEIR EXPERIENCES BEFORE I START. Needless to say any information I find will be posted on this site. SO PLEASE SEND ME ANY FAULTS YOU HAVE HAD WITH THE FUSION DURASHIFT AND THE PARTS YOU HAD REPLACED.
PS AGAIN THE SERVICE ENGINEER SAID IT WAS A SPECIAL GEARBOX, IT'S NOT.

#10 jule

jule

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford Fusion

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:01 PM

OK here we go again, new problem, the light for gearbox failure came on 3 times last week. Apart from avoiding being rear eneded, it put me off driving for a while. Anyway after phoning the ford dealers they said there isn't any diagnostic check to find out what is wrong. So took it to have the diagnostic on the engine all was correct (no faults) So its the gearbox actuatorS. As I mentioned before its a standard gearbox and all the gearchange and clutch control is done from 2 bolted on actuators. Not paying 100 an hour especially as the mechanic said its trial and error the only way they can find out what is wrong is if you take it in when its not working. (great how do you get it there i asked) They never find any errors if they are intermittent. Going to speak to ford to try and get some diagrams of the actuators and check them out myself. HAS ANYONE HAD THIS PROBLEM AND HAD IT SORTED OUT, IT WOULD BE GREAT IF PEOPLE GAVE ME SOME OF THEIR EXPERIENCES BEFORE I START. Needless to say any information I find will be posted on this site. SO PLEASE SEND ME ANY FAULTS YOU HAVE HAD WITH THE FUSION DURASHIFT AND THE PARTS YOU HAD REPLACED.
PS AGAIN THE SERVICE ENGINEER SAID IT WAS A SPECIAL GEARBOX, IT'S NOT.

#11 jule

jule

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford Fusion

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:12 PM

I have a Ford Fusion durashift that; from stationary 'loses' the selected gear intermittantly...
It can happen when sitting in Neutral & knock accross to 1st into Auto/or not, the gear selected display goes blank & if you tread on the accelerator - it will rev, but not move forward.
- :o Panic to neutral, back to 1st, back to neutral, in reverse, back to 1st, wait to be rear ended & time passes, :o eventually the display shows the selected gear & you may now move off...
I've also tried staying in Auto; same problem
Staying in 'Manual';same problem
- I took it to the local garage & they need to see it in the 'bad' state :blink:
- I have no idea how to get it back into this state
- The Ford garage are not available to look at it for a couple of days, but commitments to pay for rectification hinder their/my availability
Has anyone else suffered anything similar ?
Has Jimthefish resolved his issue ?

#12 DexterToo

DexterToo

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus Estate 2L Zetec petrol 06

Posted 07 December 2010 - 03:45 PM

I have owned a 1.4 Fusion Durashift since Feb 2004 and have just got to 74000 miles in it.
Just before the 3 year warranty expired the servo that changes gear in auto mode failed (and was replaced under warranty), the car was still driveable by changing gear manually.
Jule your issue with the car losing the gear may be solved by pushing the brake peddle.
I have found the gear won't change (particularly reverse) unless your foot is on the brake. hth. :)

#13 tigger28uk

tigger28uk

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Ford Model: Fusion Semi Automatic

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:36 PM

Hi

I too have a fusion with durashift problems, 2004 fusion semi automatic. the car broke down on me just over 4 weeks ago, lost gears, nothing showing in panel, no selections available. turned engine off and now can't get it to start. got towed to dealer bought from, couldn't find problems doing diagnostic check so sent it to ford dealer. ford themselves aren't sure but suggest changing the ecu unit which may have damaged the activation motors!

had a few problems leading to this, shudder on first acceleration, non selection of gears, problems with 02 sensor! now completely broken down.

The ECU Unit is approximately 900.00 with the motors assembly costing 400 approximately. Labour will be in the region of 340, giving a possible repair cost of 1,640.00 plus Vat, but no exact costings have been prepared.

Any hints??

#14 Marcy133

Marcy133

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Ford Model: 2003 Focus TDCi Sport

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:19 PM

Working at a Ford dealer we see alot of these towed in, and unfortunately it is usually the actuators that are at fault. It does usually put a fault code in the memory though but all your symptoms would point towards the actuator for me. Non-start and no display I'd be looking at the actuators.

#15 tigger28uk

tigger28uk

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Ford Model: Fusion Semi Automatic

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:06 PM

Working at a Ford dealer we see alot of these towed in, and unfortunately it is usually the actuators that are at fault. It does usually put a fault code in the memory though but all your symptoms would point towards the actuator for me. Non-start and no display I'd be looking at the actuators.

Hi Marcy133

Unfortunately for me the finance company nor the garage are interested in this fault as they say the fault was not there at sale about 4 months ago and I am arguing that it was because of the problems that I have had, gears not synchronising, not starting etc, so I am now having to seek legal advice to proceeed or I am going to be left with a car that needs 2000 spent on it that I can't afford and if I terminate the agreement they will hound me for the money so am not in a nice situation! Thanks for your help though

L

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users