Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums Messages

Club Announcements

Ford Fair 2016: Tickets and stand passes are now available to purchase. More info here.

Review your Ford: Help others when it comes to buying a car like yours and review your Ford now

AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sloopy

Drive Shaft Seal

4 posts in this topic

My nephew has a Puma, 1.7 petrol, manual gearbox, which has always had a SLIGHT oil leak, which has now become much worse.

The oil seems to cover the back half of the sump and the leaking oil goes to the driver's side of the car, over the drive shaft and so on.

If it is a drive-shaft seal, as is suspected, how difficult is the job for a reasonable-level DIY mechanic?

My car is a 1962 Morris Minor on which I do all servicing and repairs, and I've done a few major jobs on my nephew's Puma-replacement door, exhaust etc.

That said, I'm nowhere near skilled mechanic.

best wishes

My nephew has a Puma, 1.7 petrol, manual gearbox, which has always had a SLIGHT oil leak, which has now become much worse.

The oil seems to cover the back half of the sump and the leaking oil goes to the driver's side of the car, over the drive shaft and so on.

If it is a drive-shaft seal, as is suspected, how difficult is the job for a reasonable-level DIY mechanic?

My car is a 1962 Morris Minor on which I do all servicing and repairs, and I've done a few major jobs on my nephew's Puma-replacement door, exhaust etc.

best wishes

best wishes

Changing the oil seal is not too difficult but are you sure that's what it is? Try and decide if it's gearbox or engine oil.Gear oil smells very different, sweet and sickly. If it is gear oil that's leaking you need to attend to it or you'll find the gearbox empty of oil. Goodbye gearbox.

Changing the oil seal is not too difficult but are you sure that's what it is? Try and decide if it's gearbox or engine oil.Gear oil smells very different, sweet and sickly. If it is gear oil that's leaking you need to attend to it or you'll find the gearbox empty of oil. Goodbye gearbox.

i agree oil has a tendency to get everywhere it may look like thats where its coming from but while driving the winds blowing it in all directions best to clean the area up and check