Do Not Sell My Personal Information

EAC Fail & ECU location

90Ninety

Hi 

I've been getting the dreaded EAC failure . Now I am on the understanding , ( along with gut feeling) that this is a Electronic Glitch . Some people have somwhat temporarily  cured this by cleaning the throttle body . However with my Computer repair background , I am tempted to open up the ECU and re-flow the components and connections on  it . From experience many many ( most imho) of electronics that fail are due to cold , dry solder joints due to overheating , poor solder or PCBA flexing  . I have repaired countless items with reflowing and would like to try 

I have got a a proper rework station , so have no fear giving it try, just thought it would be useful should I be successful 

What are your thoughts ?

Perhaps the ECU needs a software update also  ? 

On 22/04/2016 at 4:41 PM, 90Ninety said:

Is the ECU next to the battery?

Yes. If you are standing at the front looking under the bonnet, it's in front of the battery. Should be a aluminium-housed unit with lots of wires coming out the bottom!

Regarding it being an ECU issue, you may like to check out here for more information. It says Fiesta but it's also the same for the Fusion.

Is your Fusion petrol or the TDCi? If it's the diesel, it might be worth just trying running with the Mass Air Flow sensor unplugged to see if there's any difference. All my EAC fail issues are being thrown up by my MAF. 2 seconds to unplug it, if it doesn't change anything just plug it back in :smile:

Another possible cause is a dirty position sensor/potentiometer in the throttle pedal. Or the wiring to/from it. Pretty straightforward to open it up and clean it with some IPA or the like.

Do you have any means of reading error codes? A modified elm cable and downloading Forscan is well worth it, might point you in the right direction if it's not the ECU.

Is your Fusion petrol or the TDCi? If it's the diesel, it might be worth just trying running with the Mass Air Flow sensor unplugged to see if there's any difference. All my EAC fail issues are being thrown up by my MAF. 2 seconds to unplug it, if it doesn't change anything just plug it back in :smile:

I have the petrol 1.6 ,  I would not currently know where the Mass Air flow sensor is - though once I  research and figure out where the bugger is - I shall try . Thanks for the tip 

Another possible cause is a dirty position sensor/potentiometer in the throttle pedal. Or the wiring to/from it. Pretty straightforward to open it up and clean it with some IPA or the like.

Will also look into this and let you know how I get on , again thanks for this tip. 

Do you have any means of reading error codes? A modified elm cable and downloading Forscan is well worth it, might point you in the right direction if it's not the ECU.

I have a generic Bluetooth ELM327 OBDII tool , with a few applications , though I am not sure these applications support codes . However I have not been presented by any code using this OBDII tool yet . 

Does Forscan work with the Bluetooth ELM327 OBDII , or does Forscan need a special  spliced/homebrew cable 

On 03/05/2016 at 8:34 PM, 90Ninety said:

I have a generic Bluetooth ELM327 OBDII tool , with a few applications , though I am not sure these applications support codes . However I have not been presented by any code using this OBDII tool yet . 

Does Forscan work with the Bluetooth ELM327 OBDII , or does Forscan need a special  spliced/homebrew cable 

I would assume it would work, if you have issues though there's an adaptors & connection section on the Forscan forums http://forscan.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=4&sid=77fe9187029958c5ceaa088541307c41

And I don't think the petrol engine has MAF sensor, it uses manifold pressure instead (I think).

You can get Forscan free here if yo haven't already :smile: http://forscan.org/download.html

• 2 years later...

I'm trying to remove the black bracket that protectsthe wiring at the bottom of My Ford Fusion 1.6tdci 2009 and I just cannot remove it. I have tried everything from prizing it apart with a big screwdriver, knocking the (what looks to be a pin) out, swearing and just pulling the wires out manually..... nothing is working?

I need to send the ECU off to be tested but, witjiut getting this stupid bracket off.... I'm really stuck! .... something so simple can be the hardest job!

Anyone with any experience and/or knowledge of this issue will be greatfully received.

Regards,

Adam