Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyres

potter18

Sorry if this might be a bit of a dumb question,  I soon will have to get 2 new front tyres, I'm wondering if to stick with the continentals that came fitted from new, or to go with something else, I obviously want a good safe tyre but reading the tyre labeling the Continental tyre has poor rating for fuel economy and noise whereas there are others ( Pirelli,Dunlop ,Michelin) that are better on all counts , any thought's?

What car do you drive? Have you considered Goodyear too?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

While I wouldn't want to advise you to only think about the brand of tyres (the 'big brands' tend to sell different variants with different balances of properties), you shouldn't ignore it either.

However, it is difficult to give you worthwhile advice if we don't know what size the existing tyres are and what the exact description of the existing tyres is. For example, telling you that Conti Sport Contact 6s aren't too bad for fuel economy isn't very worthwhile if you can't get SC6s in your size (and you probably can't if you haven't fitted 21 inch or larger rims and you probably haven't done that yet).

I've just had four AVON ZV7 tyres fitted to my 18x8 ST rims and there the best grip I've had to date as used by police forces aswell 👍

Previous sets I've had were Avon ZZ3 second set were ZV5 and now ZV7 just released on the market and the grip is fantastic 

didn't realise I was speeding at one point was that stable

Also a very important note: 

If fitting two new tyres; they always go on the back of a front wheel drive vehicle, oldest tyres put on drive wheels otherwise the front will have more lateral grip on corners causing the rear to slide out more easily causing accident, 

But all good tyre fitting places know this anyway.

• Like 2

I've only got the standard tyres on a 2013zetec 195/55/15 not interested in any sort of performance tyres mainly quietness and maybe economy.

• Like 1

Just ordered a set of ZV7's for fitting next Tuesday :-)

I loved the ZZ3, they are a very good tyre!!  Wear well (unless you're like me and keep forgetting to check your tracking...oops), grip like glue and are very stable...unfortunately, they appear to have stopped doing them in 205/55/16 :(

The ZV5's are good, not quite as good as the ZZ3 in my opinion, but I'm hoping the minor issues have been addressed by the ZV7!  And at £220 for a set of 4 fitted, I can't really complain (yes, I know Huflungdung ditch finders can be had for less than £40 a corner, but I do drive hard, and want a tyre I can trust!)

• Like 1

In my experience the fuel economy ratings on tyres don't make any difference!

I would always go with a decent midrange or premium brand though, much rather have good braking and less chance of aquaplaning than saving a few MPG at the end of the day.

I only have my car a week tomorrow but I've found the Continentals to be quite loud. Anyone else have this issue? Has anyone run Michelin Pilot Sports on their Fiesta? They were my tyre of choice on my previous car and found them quite comfortable and relatively quiet. I'd be sickened to change them so soon though. How long have people gotten out of their Continentals?

I get 68Km to Gallon 

9 hours ago, opr said:

I only have my car a week tomorrow but I've found the Continentals to be quite loud. Anyone else have this issue? Has anyone run Michelin Pilot Sports on their Fiesta? They were my tyre of choice on my previous car and found them quite comfortable and relatively quiet. I'd be sickened to change them so soon though. How long have people gotten out of their Continentals?

Just over17000 miles in 3years,

9 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

In my experience the fuel economy ratings on tyres don't make any difference!

I would always go with a decent midrange or premium brand though, much rather have good braking and less chance of aquaplaning than saving a few MPG at the end of the day.

Yeah maybe fuel economy isn't a main factor too much ,I think I want a quiet tyre I don't want to fit another tyre and find it noisy after its too late, I don't find the continentals too noisy ,but reading the decibel figures the ones on my car come out at 71 decibels I have seen others a few decibels lower, just wondered if it would make much difference, BTW ,price isn't a deciding factor either.

Have you looked at Dunlop's Blue Responce. scores an A for wet grip and only 67dB noise rating. 

?icon=fuel&rr=C&height=32&width=51&type=  ?icon=wet&wg=A&height=32&width=56&type=p   ?icon=noise&db=67&ne=1&height=26&width=8

Difficult to 'advise' really. Just my 'personal opinion'. If fitting 2 new tyres I have in the past always matched the remaining 2. I've had Dunlop SP Sport Maxx, ContiSport 2's and ContiSport 5's on my last 3 cars - Skoda Fabia Monte Carlo, Fiesta Zetec S and Zetec S Red Edition respectively. Not particularly impressed by Dunlops though they have now been updated/superseded, (Firestone also poor). Wear rate is bottom of my list; performance/predictability/progressiveness top with noise somewhere up there too. ContiSport 5's have been fine performance wise and MOR on noise and....being O/E fitted you have the additional reassurance of fitting what the manufacture developed/set-up the car on....it's 'esp' etc...

Opinion somewhat divided (FWD cars) re putting the new ones on front or rear? (Ford handbook also actually advises simply rotating front to rear between 3000 & 6000 miles anyway!). Again personally I would err towards putting new ones on the front as I have competition history and lifelong experience of RWD: The rear 'moving around' shall we say!, Reduced chance of aquaplaning, (marginally) better traction and steering on snow. Once you get beyond 45 degrees your esp should cut in anyway. However, putting the best/newest on the rear provides the understeer that your average driver 'automatically' reacts to/copes with more easily. Pays your money takes your choice! There is no absolute 'right' or 'wrong', even the chaps at my caring and very experienced (there's a rarity!) local tyre fitters were split with their opinions/preferences!  

I changed a set of 4 Firestones for a new set of Hankook's on my old fiesta and they were much better. Equivalent grip but loads quieter and good value as well. Worth a shout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The continentals did 14000 on the front and 20000 on the rear. I fitted Dunlop Blue response as they were on offer at Halfords. Good grip and nice and quiet. Previously fitted Goodyear efficient grip to my grand c max and was pleased with those.

• Like 1

I have just had Continental Premium Contact 5's fitted (195/55/15) and couldn't recommend them more - however unsure on the noise. A good one is to check Asda tyres, every tyre that they have to offer comes with a DB reading (tyre noise) along with grip and fuel economy. I'm sure Continental do Eco Contacts, which aren't as good performance wise (grip, breaking etc) but are quieter and better on fuel

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club