Do Not Sell My Personal Information

smax tdci intermittent starting issue

stretch

I have an 07 smaxx zetec tdci and last week it failed to start it would turn over for about 5 seconds stop then 'click' then turn over again (not sure if this is a safety feature to stop the starter from burning out?) I left it went back an hour later still the same, left it about half an hour and it started fine. It had a new battery last month, no engine management light on or current/pending codes stored. It also had a new clutch and dmf about 20k ago.

From posts i've read i've seen people mention the manifold butterfly flap? is this the throttle body? also read that fuel filter or starter could be the issue, can anyone help with this?

• 1 month later...

could be the butterfly, but with no errors, I would be wondering if this is a battery or ground issue. Especially as both have been replaced recently.

• 1 month later...

My 57 plate Smax had this problem. After numerous RAC call outs  it was established to be a air leak into the low pressure side of the fuel system. After a sneeky interrogation of the local ford workshop manager, he suggested to 'start' with a new diesel filter housing. In my case this fixed the long ongoing issue.

On 23/04/2016 at 5:59 PM, stretch said:

it would turn over for about 5 seconds stop then 'click' then turn over again

5 seconds seems a rather short time for cranking before a safety feature cuts in. And I have not heard of that feature on other Fords. My handbook clearly says up to 30 seconds may be needed in cold weather. And it says to crank continuously for that time, or until it starts.

So it sounds like an intermittent fault in the starter system, possibly the starter relay in the engine bay fuse box.

Which engine is it? 1.8TDCI has no throttle valve, 1.6 (& possibly 2l) have a throttle, though it is only used to stop the engine, or in conjunction with the EGR system. It does not control engine speed like on a petrol.

Peter.

peter, dont think the original person will reply, he posted once only and that was in april, he has not been on forum since.

but for your info, im not sure all fords do it but if you crank engine to long without it starting i.e trying to bleed fuel through, then starter is not enabled , or only enabled for a few seconds for quite some time. can take 30 mins or more to wait. 

1 hour ago, iantt said:

if you crank engine to long without it starting i.e trying to bleed fuel through, then starter is not enabled

Yes, I was caught out by the bumpy thread! But I think I am in quite good company, James (with the sea grey monster, as I keep reading it!) was too.

But I think you are allowed a fairly long crank on the 1st go, probably >30sec, at least for a diesel?

I am not surprised there is a safety cut-out. I have played around with my starter & solenoid a bit. Just the power into the solenoid is quite massive, about 20A for pull-in, and about 7A hold. That's 70W (if applied volts drops to 10v while cranking), into rather a small coil. But if it jams in the pull-in phase (pinion stuck), the coil would burn out in a couple of minutes (200W).

I work for a company making solenoid valves (as a sort of consultant), and I had to redesign the replacement solenoid I bought. It got a brass section in the armature to break a magnetic leakage path, and a reduction in the hold mode gap, I expect it would have worked fine without the mods, but not down to the Cold Cranking spec of 7.2v. But really it is just me being fussy. I think I know too much about some things, and not enough about many things!

Peter.

• 1 year later...

Hi

BAD DOG - is yours still without issue after replacing the diesel filter housing?  Also have this very frustrating, ongoing issue.  Turns over but won't start (mostly in cold weather) but no faults and, of course, starts every time the AA arrive or the garage keep it in for a week.  Any suggestions of what to start with much appreciated.  Temperature sensor replaced and fuel filter so far and full diagnostic showing no fault codes.

Thank you.

EP

17 hours ago, EPF said:

Any suggestions of what to start with much appreciated.

If it turns over at its usual speed, with no sign of firing, and no codes, the most likely cause is air getting into the low pressure fuel system, from tank to HP diesel pump. Cracked or damaged hoses, or leaks into the filter housing, especially via the sealing ring.

A good diagnostic system can record the fuel pressure during a starting attempt, and will tell you if fuel is reaching the HP pump.

I assume a garage will have checked for glowplug problems, though this usually just makes starting rough and smokey, only preventing starting at very low temperatures.

If it was the intake throttle valve staying shut (if fitted, the 1.8TDCI does not have it), I would expect an error code. At least if the ECU software writers had done their job properly. Though that is a bit of a big IF!

If fuel is getting to the rail at the required pressure (about 200Bar on mine, probably similar on most engines), then next thing to look for would be compression problems. These can sometimes be worse when cold.

Pic of starting diagnostic run below. The equipment to get this cost me all of £10.00!

Start2a.PNG