Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

TV'S looking at reviews ??

jace1969

Good job this site as a General as i would be lost lol.

In the process of just getting a few new stuff so might have a laptop topic pop up soon.

Looking at a new T.V and was going towards the sony in a 49 or 50''(can only go this big) and looked at shops as then i can go and look at them etc.

I want as much as poss on it like 4K/ULTRA HD/SMART/GOOD WIFI/1XSCART/4XHDMI/USB AND 3D IF POSSABLE,all catch up stuff as sony have now free.

Looked at KD49X8305C and the KD49X8309 but cant see the change from the 8305 to the 8309 as there the same price,would like it from a shop like currys/argos.

Im stuck with the advice as online stuff is hit and miss like normal.

• Like 1

Unless you are sitting 2-3ft from a 50" TV, 4K is a complete waste of money.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, alexp999 said:

Unless you are sitting 2-3ft from a 50" TV, 4K is a complete waste of money.

See this is why i ask on here its true advice as i would not even look at this,

Advice online is never right,one forum says 5 or 4 stars then another says 1,

Would be nice to here what you have got and tried as i will head for a sony again and are these any good on the above ones.

• Like 1

I've got a Sony KDL-55W955B.

Doubt they do it anymore. You are better off going for a 1080p screen for normal sitting distances (typically around 8-9 feet).

Sony are good for gaming due to low latency. If you want 3D I also prefer passive IPS displays as they are much easier on the eyes and have cheaper glasses with no batteries.

However if you are not bothered about 3D then VA LCDs can produce better contrast.

I wouldn't recommend OLED if you will be showing any static images on it, such as PC or gaming stuff.

I usually start going through sites like whathifi to pick out good ones then rule then out based on features I want.

My selection was quite small for an IPS 3D 1080p TV with low latency. Lol.

• Like 1

i was advised the same by a tv aerial man of 35yrs in trade, said about the sitting close up on 4k, and 3 d a gimick thats not worth having.

so i ended up on his advise buying a Samsung 48 in smart tv, you get better aps on them, catch up etc than sony at the time. and model i had had excelent reviews

for reference its the Samsung curved ue48j6300, (what hi fi awards 2015)

and a 6 year warranty with richersounds

• Like 1

11 hours ago, iantt said:

i was advised the same by a tv aerial man of 35yrs in trade, said about the sitting close up on 4k, and 3 d a gimick thats not worth having.

so i ended up on his advise buying a samsung 48 in smart tv, you get better aps on them, catch up etc than sony at the time. and model i had had excelent reviews

for reference its the Samsung curved ue48j6300, (what hi fi awards 2015)

and a 6 year warranty with richersounds

I have a 40'' Samsung now and great and its a smart / 3d but never use the 3d so that dont bother me and the new Samsung dont have scart

and i need at least 1 also the one i have is around 5 years old and the WiFi is so slow to load apps and remote aint the responsive.

I had a sont years ago and always was spot on,as you all now you go into a shop and its mad as so many like currys by me,not a lot of

shops out there now to go and look at.

I have one of the 2015 Sony Android TVs. Not sure of the model number but it's 43" 1080p. I couldn't be any happier with it to be honest, the picture quality is superb (although on the default settings it looks pretty poor, just spend a good amount of time setting it up to get it spot on).

The only downside is that because it's so slim, the Speakers in it are terrible. I bought mine from Curry's and at the time they were bundling an 80w Sony sound bar with it, but there was also a 330w Sony sound bar and sub (I believe the model number was HTC180 or something along those lines) for £150 when bought with the TV which I went for and it sounds incredible, would definitely recommend it.

As it runs Android, the app selection is pretty decent and you can use a PS4 controller with it if you want to play any games on it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, hywelkidd said:

I have one of the 2015 Sony Android TVs. Not sure of the model number but it's 43" 1080p. I couldn't be any happier with it to be honest, the picture quality is superb (although on the default settings it looks pretty poor, just spend a good amount of time setting it up to get it spot on).

The only downside is that because it's so slim, the speakers in it are terrible. I bought mine from Curry's and at the time they were bundling an 80w Sony sound bar with it, but there was also a 330w Sony sound bar and sub (I believe the model number was HTC180 or something along those lines) for £150 when bought with the TV which I went for and it sounds incredible, would definitely recommend it.

As it runs Android, the app selection is pretty decent and you can use a PS4 controller with it if you want to play any games on it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I think this is what im going towards the SONY KD49X8309 its not 3D but not a major thing,like the youview catch-up service built in and

freeview HDx2,some nice features on it for the price,got all the Android stuff so my Tablet can link to it,good spec.

Samsung are, AKAIK, the only manufacturer to offer all the major catchup services ie BBC iPlayer ITVPlayer etc etc and it was a deciding factor in the choice of new TV in our house. 

• Like 1

we use all the catch up and some apps on our Samsung, itv, iplayer, 4 od, netflix, amazon prime, youtube, etc , actually we use that more than the freeview some weeks.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, iantt said:

we use all the catch up and some apps on our samsung, itv, iplayer, 4 od, netflix, amazon prime, youtube, etc , actually we use that more than the freeview some weeks.

Same in this house! Eastenders and Coronation Street on terrestrial TV during the week and Breaking Bad on Netflix at the weekend :) 

I wouldn't worry too much about the smart features of the TV because they won't keep those up to date in the future (or at least that's been my experience with a couple of Smart TVs). You'd be better off with a £30 Fire stick or any other streaming box (or console).

As for 3D / 4K, that's a personal thing. I like 3D and own quite a few 3D Blu-rays, but I do most of my TV / film viewing on my PC because I have a cheap 7.1 surround system with it :)

If I bought a 4K TV I would occasionally sit really close to it to watch a new film, or 3D Blu-rays etc so I would certainly notice the extra pixels. But for now I just have a 32 inch 1080p TV which doesn't get used much.

Unless you have a 4K blu ray, you are still only looking at 1080p pixels on a 4k TV.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Unless you have a 4K blu ray, you are still only looking at 1080p pixels on a 4k TV.

Good point, but I think Netflix already has some 4K content. And at least a 4K screen will be ready for more 4K content in the future, but it's probably better to hold off until that's more widely available, and TVs will be cheaper and / or better.

Unless you intend to watch 4K content and can sit close enough to actually see the improvement in quality, you are better off putting your money in to a higher quality 1080p display.

If you intend to game, then sticking to 1080p is a must as fewer pixels means less work for the display controller to do and so less lag. Sony TV's are renowned for being some of the fastest displays but their 4K TVs can be 3-4 times slower to respond than their 1080p ones.

IMO, 4K is only good for projectors.

• Like 2

^ I won't argue with that, and even with the PS 4K or whatever it's called, it might support a smoother framerate at 1080p than 4K depending on how the new games are programmed.

I don't have any of the current-gen consoles, but am happy with my 1080p monitor for PC gaming. It can go up to 144 Hz, but my graphics card can rarely keep up with that. I don't fancy buying a 4K monitor and then needing to spend about £500 on a graphics card just to get the most out of it.

I find 1080p has plenty enough detail for the size of screen and distance I sit. For gaming I prefer to turn up the eye candy than crank up the resolution.

I will be very interested in a PS4.5/PS4K if it offers 1080p60 gaming with improved visuals though, which from current rumours is the aim, with 4K mainly reserved for video sources.

@jace1969 If you are looking at 49", stick to the best 1080p you can afford, or go bigger.

I always recommend getting the biggest TV you can fit or afford, or you'll always wish you had.

I've got a 55" 1080p TV and if it was 4K it would not look any better at my sitting distance, just lag more.

4K is a marketing gimic which should be reserved for proper home theatre setups with projectors.

• Like 2

As for the 3D side i asked a good 3 shops and said a lot of models now are not making new t.v's with the 3D as it didnt catch on that good

so going towards the 4K as it will be a standard item on most tv's soon even lower models and as said on here in one of the replys they will

start rolling a lot more out rather than the 3D,i dont watch dvd's just a lot of either Netflix or recorded items on the virgin box so 3D is great but

not  a major thing,i do have a old Samsung 3D but used it about 5 times in about 5 years,not even got the 3D player set up now.

Looks like this Sony and found out that this model KD49X8309C is only at currys as other places only sell the 8305 or 8307 so they have lower

Motionflow as the x8305 is 800 and the currys one x8309 is the 1000 model so will go for that i think.

I guess I'll bow out of this discussion now then.... :wallbash:

3 hours ago, alexp999 said:

I guess I'll bow out of this discussion now then.... :wallbash:

Lol I need input as shops only try and sell what they make the most on,the 2 best sellers what i see people buy or looking at in currys was

the sony or panasonic,it is a choice between the 2 but they both have the good things and bad the same as everything,what one person would

like the other might hate,does anyone have a new sony as i have one about 12 years ago and lasted years.

I did the wrong thing in one shop,said i wanted a top spec so showed me a £3600 one,i said ok middle or so but saying that this is where i said

''it aint even 3D'' that is when i was told all the in's and out's,i did get a bit sleepy at this stage but nice chap.

Any advice on this sony model or sony as they are now,50'' max.

Just having a quick look on JL and no other research, if you want a 50" Sony, I'd be looking at something like the KDL50W80.

2 hours ago, alexp999 said:

Just having a quick look on JL and no other research, if you want a 50" Sony, I'd be looking at something like the KDL50W80.

Will have a search for that one and have a look,the one i have put on here i think is ok,not the best but got a lot going for it.

1 minute ago, alexp999 said:

I really rate whathifi reviews too.

I did have the book for a nice while,i look at a lot of reviews and ask.

Whats the new model of the one you put on here like higher up the spec say with 4K and stuff,thats a good one just wanted

future stuff if i can.