Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Adaptive Lighting Malfunctioning

jamestyl

That TSB is for S-max/Galaxy/Edge only. And refers to full LED lamps rather than xenons. 

I would recommend people remove their headlamps and have a look at the wiring inside. Because the lenses move around they can chafe the wiring which causes these kind of faults.   

• 2 months later...

Has anyone found the solution to this without replacing the entire assembly? The dealer wants $1,800...that's not going to happen. 

The right side light is down and to the right. It doesn't move. Earlier today, the dealer tested it and said it was functional. I didn't leave the dealership parking lot before the fault reoccurred. 

Thanks,

Kevin

• 5 weeks later...

I also have the same problem with the adaptive headlight moving... 

I have found what I think are the same headlights for 400 but not sure if they are the right ones because one of the characters in the serial number on the headlight is different, can anyone explain what I should be looking at to make sure it fits before purchasing them...

My headlight is...
F1EB-13D156-DD 22.01.2016 03:59:16 RD4SC However the headlight in looking at is...
F1EB-13D157-DD 08.01.2016 03:56:52 RD4SC

• 11 months later...

Do not buy a new light, problem will be broken wire on the plug that goes to board inside the light, its a 4 pin plug but only has 3 wires (about 10mm wide), ford wont repair, will have to repair yourself or find a decent garage.

22 hours ago, YOG said:

Fantastic link, thanks very much. Nice to know there could be a fairly easy (and cheap!) fix should mine ever break.

On 3/23/2017 at 1:33 PM, DJ_Andy_M said:

I had this problem too. Was a new light unit for me also.

Regarding the height, I had this with my new one and I solved it myself with a screw driver. There is a white turn screw like on a halogen unit that is accessible without removing the light.

The best way I found to align them is to drive around  with them in auto/adaptive mode until you find a flat surface and a flat wall, and the beams should go flat. You can now align them as the flat beam on both lights should be identical heights.

Could you show where the screw is located?

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/10/2021 at 3:31 AM, karlbbb said:

Fantastic link, thanks very much. Nice to know there could be a fairly easy (and cheap!) fix should mine ever break.

Hi Bro. ,

Could you share Forscan HCM log and setting for the lights function ?

I'm trying to install the adaptive lights on non-adaptive equipped Focus 2016

• 1 year later...

the eBay link is not active... !!! Is there any other site to order this tool?? 

• Like 1

On 4/9/2022 at 1:47 AM, Gallko87 said:

the ebay link is not active... !!! Is there any other site to order this tool?? 

https://adaptivefix.com/

Try here...

I am having issues with this and no high beams.. getting actuator and level motor failures on both headlight units in FORSCAN output.

Nearly 2k for replacement headlights so tried the cables...

The original ones were connected fine and firmly... replaced with the adaptive fix on both sides... but failure still exists even after full DTC reset on the car...

Have been trying to find Aftermarket option but they seem very limited.. and Not entirely sure that using a "fixed" beam solution is compatabile (if any one knows)... or a suitable replacement option for this.. Titanium X 2015 Mk3.5 facelift..

Tempted to try the VLAND replacements but the reviews look very mixed/flakey... and buying 2nd hand not sure whether they will work for a few months then stop.. so think i have little option but to go for the Ford original ones now... big hit to the wallet... and would steer clear of adaptive in future.. and sadly ford as this is my first one...

8 hours ago, Dwjp said:

https://adaptivefix.com/

Try here...

I am having issues with this and no high beams.. getting actuator and level motor failures on both headlight units in FORSCAN output.

Nearly 2k for replacement headlights so tried the cables...

The original ones were connected fine and firmly... replaced with the adaptive fix on both sides... but failure still exists even after full DTC reset on the car...

Have been trying to find Aftermarket option but they seem very limited.. and Not entirely sure that using a "fixed" beam solution is compatabile (if any one knows)... or a suitable replacement option for this.. Titanium X 2015 Mk3.5 facelift..

Tempted to try the VLAND replacements but the reviews look very mixed/flakey... and buying 2nd hand not sure whether they will work for a few months then stop.. so think i have little option but to go for the Ford original ones now... big hit to the wallet... and would steer clear of adaptive in future.. and sadly ford as this is my first one...

Hi there @Dwjp I own and run adaptivefix.com, for both lamps to fail and the wiring appear ok then i doubt you need to replace both lamps as BCM units can fail and send some funky signals out. Last person who came to me with similar issue to you needed a new BCM. It was a trip to ford and some coding but much cheaper then new lamps. 

I live in Derbyshire if you would like to come up we can have a look and diagnose. I supply both black and white connectors you see inside your light and should 1 of these break then the symptoms are very similar. 

eBay links for all -

White connector

Black connector

• Like 1

I had this, the repair loom fixed it, although i soldered it rather than using the included crimps.

Matt

• 2 months later...
On 4/12/2022 at 10:42 PM, Wrenny said:

Hi there @Dwjp I own and run adaptivefix.com, for both lamps to fail and the wiring appear ok then i doubt you need to replace both lamps as BCM units can fail and send some funky signals out. Last person who came to me with similar issue to you needed a new BCM. It was a trip to ford and some coding but much cheaper then new lamps. 

I live in Derbyshire if you would like to come up we can have a look and diagnose. I supply both black and white connectors you see inside your light and should 1 of these break then the symptoms are very similar. 

Ebay links for all -

White connector

Black connector

Hi,

Yes they replaced the BCM as the whole dashboard died in the end when i asked them to look at it.

Have also tried a replacement HCM today... which interestingly immediately comes up with the Headlight failure warning (and main beams not working) rather than the old one which took a while to register it. Going to clear the DTCs again later and see if it resets from there.

I have managed to source a replacement light unit (same code) for one side.. so may try that and see if i can fix half the problem. 

The lighting unit and wire connections in the back of the HID looked fine and fully connected when I added the fix cabling previously.

So does seem a little odd.

Thanks 

• 1 year later...

Hi,

For future readers

Owner of a Focus ST-3 MK3.5 facelift from 2015. Had the issue that the right head light would get stuck after taking a right turn. Sometimes it would get stuck positioned to the right but most of the times it would return to the center position. It actually never worked correctly since I bought the car in 2021, but in the last months it increasingly would stay positioned to the right and not return to the center position (and occasionally get the dashboard error).

I ordered the cable from https://adaptivefix.com/  (specifically the wiring harness), had it shipped to the Netherlands. And it does actually seem to fix the problem, so I am quite happy, the instructions are quite clear and it took me about one and half hour.

• Like 1