Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Husband/Wife main/named driver question

Vendee

It's with a lot of sadness that I've decided to get rid of my trusty Focus that I've owned for 10 years.

My wife has a 13 plate Fiesta 1.0 125 ecoboost titanium which is quite nice. I don't really need a Focus sized car now so I've put a deposit down on a 65 plate Fiesta 1.0 125 ecoboost.

As my mileage is about 5 times more than my wife, I'm planning to let her have the new Fiesta and I will have hers and rack up some mileage on it.

We are both named drivers on each others insurance policies but I suspect the insurance companies would prefer that the main driver is the one that is driving that car most of the time. This will mean that I will have to register the new Fiesta in her name and transfer ownership of her Fiesta to me. Am I right in thinking this?

Speak to your insurance company.  I think you could be the main driver even though the car is registered in your wife's name.  It's worth a phone call and best to check before transferring ownership as that would increase the number of owners shown on the V5 registration document.

• Like 1

What about a multi car policy with you as main?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

In actual fact, I think (99% sure) you've got both bits wrong - in a good way... If you're a named driver you have just as much 'right' to drive the car as the policy holder, and you can also be the policy holder on a car that is owned by someone else (or if they are the registered keeper)...

So, your new car can still be registered in your name... and you can be a named driver on your wifes policy for her car and still drive it as if it's your own....

Main thing is to have two policies, 1 in your name and 1 in wifeys name as you can only use NCB on one policy (if you have 2 policies in your name). On that last point though, if you can prove NCB on another policy most insurers will offer you some sort of unnoficial 'NCB' discount...

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I'll give the insurance companies a ring to check. Re- the multicar policy....we have had this in the past but it means both renewals and associated financial burden occur at the same time, Also...its not always cheaper than separate policies.

You can be a named main driver.

You have to notify the insurance company that the main driver will be you on your wife's car.

My parents did this for ages. My mums car was in my dads name he was also policy holder but my mum was main driver.

• Like 1

Insurance companies don't tend to be all that fussed with spouses apparently.

Had several of the big names tell me that when helping sort insurance for my Dad in the past