Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Definitive answer if possible regarding plug gap

Dave1981

Hi all. So my new ( to me ) 2010 2.0 focus has had a little service by me. Just air, oil filter and oil and spark plugs.  Ive fitted ngk iridium plugs as ive never had issues with them. This is where im getting confused as ive seen multiple posts on here and yet so many different answers im pullin my hair out.

The gap.. they come with 1.3mm pregapped. Ive read on here and other site's  you should gap them to 1mm. My hanyes manual says 1.3mm and the old plugs that came out were 1.3mm 

So what do i gap them too? 

Appologies for a repeat question.

1.3mm is indeed the correct gap for your 2.0 , the postsb you refer to were about the 1.6 , as if gapped to large the coil packs failed prematurely.

Your engine/ coil packs are fine at the correct gap

Nice one.. thanks for quick reply

5 hours ago, iantt said:

1.3mm is indeed the correct gap for your 2.0 , the postsb you refer to were about the 1.6 , as if gapped to large the coil packs failed prematurely.

Your engine/ coil packs are fine at the correct gap

how about 18.0

Hahaha think the coil pack wud last prob 10 mins with a 18mm gap! Lol

what gap for the 1,8 engine on the mk2.5

1.6 and 1.8 petrol is 1.0mm the 2.0 is 1.3mm

ok thanks mate just about to do mine:smile:

1.8 and 2.0 is the same 1.3mm , thats official from ford, 

not any more I'm afraid my 1.8 had 1.3mm pregapped plugs I was told in the service they were wrong and gapped to 1.0 mm theres a tsb for it that they showed me ford also revised the 1.8 to 1.0mm and the 2.0 also to 1.0mm the 1.6 and 1.8 still stands the 2.0 may still be revised

Which 1.8 are you referring to? ,the he?

So the mk2 2.0 is 1.3mm? See this is whats confusing me as different ppl different answers. Think only sure way is to go see my local dealer tomorrow.. 

Yes, 1.3mm is definatly the correct gap, any talk of tsb is superceded by the latest specification from fords etis website that ford techs use, this information is updated more regular than any tsb.thats why its relied upon.

if you dont want to rely on this information, give your dealer a ring and getbthem to refer to the latest techical information booklet that has been released 2 weeks ago or get them to refer to etis, section 303-07b

• Like 1

Excellent news.. ill get em gapped now 

The following spark plug gap sizes are currenty prescribed by Ford:

Focus MK2/MK2.5

1.4/1.6 Duratec and 1.6 Duratec TI-VCT = 1,2 mm.

1.8/2.0 Duratec HE = 1,3 mm.

2.5 Duratec ST/RS = 0,7 mm.

Focus MK3/MK3.5

1.6 Duratec TI-VCT = 1,20 mm (0,7-0,8 mm for LPG versions).

1.0 ECOboost = 0,7 mm.

1.5 ECOboost = 0,8 mm.

1.6 ECOboost = 0,8 mm.

2.0 Duratec HE = 0,9 mm.

2.0 ECOboost ST = 0,8 mm.

2.3 ECOboost RS = 0,75 mm

• Like 1

thankyou wilko for backing up what i keep saying on here, was going to say about the 1.4 and 1.6 gaps at 1.2mm but knew that would cauase another difference of opinion on who was right or wrong. lol

Was going to say, ive just got back from lookers ford sheffield and they were kind enough to print me the latest spec from the etis website and it is 1.3mm for the 1.8/2.0 engines for the mk2-2.5.

I also had this discussion many times before. The 1,0 mm spark plug gap of the 1.4/1.6 Duratec engines was only prescribed by Ford for a short time. Unfortunately this gap size is still recommended by many spark plug manufacturers/suppliers while Ford changed it back to the original 1,3 mm after a very short time and later on to 1,2 mm. The (10 Year) old TSB's about this subject are also no longer valid. I always used the prescribed spark plug gap on these engines without any problems.

I guess the 1,0 mm spark plug gap myth of the 1.4/1.6 Duratec engines will be floating arround the internet for a long time.

Interesting. Im using NGK iridiums that were pre-gapped at 1.1mm. Seems like a happy medium, given that Ford cant make their mind up.

blame ford dealers that state 1.0mm is correct as I said mine were 1.3mm on a ti vct mk2 and they told me the gaps were wrong and they adjusted it to 1.0mm that was only this year theres no argument about who's right or wrong you would assume a main ford dealer would know clearly not since they should know the cars you take their word .

ford stated at the time that the 1.0mm gap was to prevent early coil failures and that its the same Bosch coil pack and that the 1.0mm still stands and was not a short term fix so again it would seem people should take their pick since the gap will expand 1.0 or 1.1 1.2mm would be a happy medium.goes to show even ford dont have a clue about their own cars they phoned another dealer when I argued and they said 1.0mm as well

you must have some very ill informed dealers round your way then.good job youve got a kia and wont be using that ford dealer anymore.

Its possible the 1.0mm gap still applies to the older cars, it just got changed back to 1.3 on newer cars with newer software revisions, even if they had identical hardware.

No, the 1.2 mm spark plug gap applies to all Focus MK1/MK1.5, MK2/MK2.5 and MK3/MK3.5 versions with the old 1.4/1.6 Sigma (Zetec S(E) / Duratec) engine.

• Like 2