Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus MK2 Radio is killing my battery.

dancza
聽Share

Hi Everyone, first off I apologise if this thread is in the wrong area. I'm new to the site and this is my first ever post.

I seem to be having some issues with my MK2 Ford Focus (1.6L 2005). To start with my battery had a dead cell which was originally making the radio dead and messing with my driver display/trip computer. I have since fitted a new battery and the mileage/trip computer is now fixed and the radio now works well! A little too well in fact.. It's decided to become sentient and turn itself on even when the car is switched off!

Because of this my battery is going flat near constantly. I'm wondering/praying/begging that you geniuses may have the solution to my problem. I will be eternally in your favour if you can fix it.

Its a good job the transformers films aren't 100% realistic. Because poor bumblebee would've been stone dead the next morning.

1 hour ago, dancza said:

Hi Everyone, first off I apologise if this thread is in the wrong area. I'm new to the site and this is my first ever post.

I seem to be having some issues with my MK2 Ford Focus (1.6L 2005). To start with my battery had a dead cell which was originally making the radio dead and messing with my driver display/trip computer. I have since fitted a new battery and the mileage/trip computer is now fixed and the radio now works well! A little too well in fact.. It's decided to become sentient and turn itself on even when the car is switched off!

Because of this my battery is going flat near constantly. I'm wondering/praying/begging that you geniuses may have the solution to my problem. I will be eternally in your favour if you can fix it.

Its a good job the transformers films aren't 100% realistic. Because poor bumblebee would've been stone dead the next morning.

You could fit a relay to the headunit power supply which would act as a remote switch.

meaning the relay would only allow power to flow to the radio when the engine was running.聽

This would cost you around 20 pounds and three hours of your own time installing.

Firstly check the engine bay fuse box for signs of water,

A common problem is they leak and allow water in to bridge connections of factory fitted relays which causes wipers and horn to become active at random when car is parked and locked even at 2am for example 馃榿 horn and wipers going like its possessed by a demon but truth is only the finance company can posess a vehichle聽if finance isint kept up then it can become reposessed.

• Like 1

Is it the original (likely Ford 6000) radio? If so ditch it, they sound rancid. ANY aftermarket unit will be better with more features.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChrisM41 said:

Is it the original (likely Ford 6000) radio? If so ditch it, they sound rancid. ANY aftermarket unit will be better with more features.

IMG_20141016_200047_zpsbb1snprl.jpg

If upgrading anything you may like to view my list of guides聽

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2016 at 11:49 AM, ChrisM41 said:

Hi Chris. Yeah mate its the CD6000 unit. I didn't think it sounded too bad. But if I get a new radio I'm worried that it'll still come to life when I'm asleep. Stalking me like some kind of Fordy Kreuger (sorry).

On 4/29/2016 at 2:13 PM, Lenny said:

You could fit a relay to the headunit power supply which would act as a remote switch.

meaning the relay would only allow power to flow to the radio when the engine was running.聽

This would cost you around 20 pounds and three hours of your own time installing.

Firstly check the engine bay fuse box for signs of water,

A common problem is they leak and allow water in to bridge connections of factory fitted relays which causes wipers and horn to become active at random when car is parked and locked even at 2am for example 馃榿 horn and wipers going like its possessed by a demon but truth is only the finance company can posess a vehichle聽if finance isint kept up then it can become reposessed.

Thanks for the Info Len mate I'll have a butchers, Sorry I've been late to reply my internet decided to screw itself. 2016 isn't my year..

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dancza said:

Thanks for the Info Len mate I'll have a butchers, Sorry I've been late to reply my internet decided to screw itself. 2016 isn't my year..

This time last year I was sleeping in my focus at side of the road for three days 馃榾

we all get a bad year at some point in life, hope it improves and there's a downloadable version of the haynes manual on here will help you when rewiring cables.