Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why does air recirc turn off by default?

Jason87

When I use the fans and then turn them off, the recirc button stays lit meaning the vents are closed, why is this? I though recirc should be on as default to get fresh air into car?

If the recirc button is lit it means that no fresh air is coming into the car as the outside air intake is closed off, the air already in the car is just being recirculated round and round.

• Like 3

its to stop the build up of co2 since it recirculates the air in the cabin with no fresh air all the co2 you breath out is also recirculated its set to auto switch off after 5 mins to prevent you killing youreself should you be in a cold climate stuck with the engine running that's how many people die you always want recirc off prevents condensation misting of windows its fine to put on if there's a bad odour outside for a few minutes or when you're car is hot inside from the sun you put recirc on window down aircon on cold and it will cool the inside quicker

• Like 1

What I mean is it seems it turns recirc on by default as in vents closed and no outside air coming in, but I thjnk this is just when the dial is set to cold 

Are you sure it's recirc not the demist?

Manual aircin on Fords automatically activates demist if the vents are set to windscreen.

Turning the vent dial a couple of notches off either side of windscreen stops this.

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 3

No it's the button next to the ac button which both light up when the dial is on cold and fan is on. Which I thought is due to cooling reasons but when I turn the fan off the ac button light goes out but the Recirc button light stays on?

it shouldn't unless manually requested

That is normal operation.

not on any car i owned hes saying that it keeps switching recirc on itself unless you pres for recirc it should be fresh air coming in

recirc is default when you switch fan off when direction is on vents

i can never remember the focus automatically switching recirc on at any point it was always free air unless I pressed it to come on or can this be set using the software?Some vehicles have a max air conditioning button that automatically requires the recirculated to be used. While the air can cool down faster and stay cooler,

Normal like this.mk3

IMG_20160504_080646290_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160504_080654238_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160504_082131342_HDR.jpg

Normal like this.mk2.5

IMG_20160504_092411870.jpg

IMG_20160504_092420011.jpg

It's so that when you turn the ac off, the vents being closed keeps the car cool I'm guessing 

im sure with my MK2.5 ( I have climate control)

all my vents are open, and the side ones are directed at the windows, and ive never seen recirc come on, unless I press it

• Like 1

And fiesta

2016-05-04 11.27.29.jpg

2016-05-04 11.27.51.jpg

My 2.5 doesn't do it.

makes sense though

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dee_82 said:

My 2.5 doesn't do it.

makes sense though

Neither does my mk2 facelift!

I'll have to try it now... :laugh:

Don't think I've ever switched the blowers fully off before, must get pretty stuffy stuck in a car full of your own breath. :unsure: 

• Like 2

I think the logic behind it is that, if your shutting off the blowers its for a reason, either to keep the air outside out or keep in the air inside in.  If you shut the blowers off without locking out the outside air, wouldn't the air just get forced in as you drive along? turning on recirc  blocks that outside access, at least that what i would have thought... never seen it before tho, ill try it on my partners festa when i get the chance. :)

Tried this earlier, doesn't seem to do it in mine either.  The AC switches off when blowers are switched to 0, vents on face and and temp on cold but the recirc doesn't come on.

Mine doesn't do it either.

Is it an option in the ECU (like the auto-aircon)? I wonder if they changed it at some point, or for a certain batch of ECU's (/BCM's whichever module sorts the climate out)

like I said recirc is dangerous if left on fir too long in my old manual it states if the inside of the cabin is hot to cool put temp control to max cold open a window switch aircon on aim vents to desired position fan on max once the air has cooled set temp to desired temp switch recirc off and use fresh air ....the recirc will automatically switch off after a period of 5 minutes this is a safety feature the recirc should not be used for any longer without a window being open.....