Do Not Sell My Personal Information

On going issue with engine warning light

rich_old

I have a Ford Focus 2005 1.6 Zetec.

I have had an on going issue with an engine warning light which indicated that it was the cambelt / sensor that was at fault.  Both of which I have been told by the garage have been fixed.  However each time I have had it back from the garage the engine warning light has come back on.

EDIT (just to add I took it to a local garage who said the timing was totally out and it needed the cambelt changing, these did not do the work they hooked it up to the computer and then I took this information to the garage who sold me it)

The garage assure me that it has been changed (I have not paid as I bought the car and the light came on so they have taken it back three times now to repair)

However what is strange the engine warning light has come back on three times on the same point on the same road after I have had the car back.  This last time it was driven 300 miles before the light came back on on this road.  The time before it was 50 miles.

My really stupid question is could it be the road causing the light to come on and there not actually being a fault?

Or is it because I would have been driving it the exact way each time?  5th gear just above 40 mph and on a slight incline.

Cam belt would not cause a engine malfunction light. But the cam sensor or crankshaft sensor would likely do so.

It needs diagnostics to read what error codes are present when the light is on and any stored codes but not present codes, then clearing then test driving again to see what codes come back to have any idea where to start with diagnosing the problem.

Also 5th gear just above 40mph on a slight incline in a 1.6 petrol is probably pushing it a bit and labouring the engine a bit but should not cause an engine malfunction.

Thanks I have ordered a reader so I will see what that comes up with and then test again on the same road after.  I just find it bizzare it has come on at the same point in the road three times.  Yet when I have driven it elsewhere and revved through the gears totally fine.

dash cluster by the sound of it this will throw up warning lights and false codes the road itself ie the vibration could be setting it off you can push on the cluster to check or with engine running undo the 2 screws to take the whole cluster out and with the cable connected wiggle it around

If it was a cluster fault would it not do odd things on the cluster like wrong speed and high temperature as well?  I have none of this happening.

However I now think the garage that sold me this car are talking a load of nonsense, I asked for a full list of work that has been done on the car and below is the full list....

Cam sensor

Second Hand Camshaft

Yep that is the full list that they gave me. So I think they have actually done nothing based on this apart from clear the error message?  Or put a new sensor in it, as why on earth would it need a new cam shaft?  Also if it did why has all the timing system then not been replaced, oil changed etc.....

My new reader came today and it gives the same error as it did from the start.

DSC_0026_1.JPG

Problem is a generic reader will only throw up codes in the PCM it won't show if the code is from another module you need proper diagnostics that can check all modules and also run some tests really like data logging when the fault occurs.

Clear the code and see if it comes back again. Assuming clearing that code removes the EML if it does then that likely is the issue.