Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ecoboost 1.0 125ps

MaxDee

Hi all, I’m planning to part ex my 12 year Mondy soon. I’m looking to down size to a Focus with the Ecoboost engine 1.0 125ps. Are these any good or underpowered?
I understand that they are not the best in fuel economy but are they better than the 1.6 old petrol engine?

Also any reported problems with these engines and what do I look out for? Are these cars installed with DMF's or solid flywheels?

Thanks

The 125 HP version of the 1.0 ECOboost is a great engine. A Focus with this engine is definetely not underpowered. It does not feel much slower than the 150 HP 1.6 ECOboost of my parents while the fuel economy of my 1.0 ECOboost is much better.

I do not really care about fuel economy so I am not trying to save any fuel. My average fuel consumption is about 43 MPG on mainly short trips. When I drive longer motorway trips the fuel consumption is arround 50 MPG. Much better than my old Focus MK2 with the natural aspirated 1.6 Duratec engine.

The only known big problem of the 1.0 ECOboost is the coolant return hose installed on some production badges. This hose is made of vulcanised rubber and plastic. As a result of the relative high coolant temperature of the direct injected ECOboost engines this hose ages prematurely. The hose becomes hardened and can burst which in many cases results in engine damage. There is a recall about this problem for all affected 1.0 ECOboost versions to replace the coolant return hose by a modified version.

The 125 HP version of the Focus 1.0 ECOboost has the 6-speed B6 gearbox combined with a dual mass flywheel. The 100 HP version of the 1.0 ECOboost has the old IB5 gearbox and is currently the only Focus version with a single mass flywheel.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ive got one and i must say they are a great car, 6 speed gearbox nice and smooth and got enough power

All the hose recalls should have been done by now, all the ones I see have been.

Thank you all for your replies; Sounds like I’m heading for the right engine!

That’s a very informative reply JW1982 and you have answered a lot of my questions! Sounds like you had experience with some different ones. Fuel economy on the 125 is better than my TDCI 2004 Mondeo.

6 Speed is great but having a DMF scares me a little as they are expensive to replace. It costed me £900 on my Mondeo to fix L but did last 120K miles.

Was there any problems reported with DMF’s yet? Also is this coolant return hose easy to spot if it has been done and what to look for?

Easy to spot if you know what to look for, and a check with reg no on ford etis website will confirm if the recall is outstanding.

No issues with dual mass , but there were a few clutch problems apparently on early focuses, I never saw any. Alot prefer the 125 with the smooth 6 spd box, but I dont have any issues with my 100 5speed single mass (chipped to 140)

5 minutes ago, iantt said:

Easy to spot if you know what to look for, and a check with reg no on ford etis website will confirm if the recall is outstanding.

No issues with dual mass , but there were a few clutch problems apparently on early focuses, I never saw any. Alot prefer the 125 with the smooth 6 spd box, but I dont have any issues with my 100 5speed single mass (chipped to 140)

How much does it cost to chip to 140, didn't know that it could be done on this engine!

Bluefin remap, go on there website for price and details,

• Like 1

Like this beast, 

2015-08-29 09.44.23.jpg

• Like 1

Test drove a 1.0 125 64 reg zetec yesterday and must honestly say that I'm impressed and cannot believe how powerful it is. It's as powerfull as my 2L TDCI Mondeo. 

Now looking for a nice Titanium preferably in dark grey, black or blue.

Think you should go for it.have a titanium 125 in black and absolutely love it.never thought I would go for a 1 litre car,but they have come a long way in a short space of time.mine is panther black. .63d962445e76e2228a9a954d15c1e174.jpg1b2c246ab2c736f04e39b35a7d3150c6.jpge3e1df53b54aaafca51d4662a7eb272b.jpg28263ec4bd1a0931332ec9fcf5ba6ab7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I test drove one like yours today, but without privacy glass and normal wheels. It was black too but had to walk away from it as had too many scratches :(
I loved it, so I'll keep looking. I also like grey too!

That is the problem with black.had mine from new so can minimise scratching.some people just aren't that bothered when it comes to paint work,as long as it looks clean.hope you find a nice one with the colour and spec you want 👍

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

It's great fun when I get to drive my mum's Focus 1.0 125PS. Highly recommended.

That's good to hear! I can't wait to drive mine! 

Hi , This is my Ford Focus Titanium 1.0 Ecoboost 125ps

$_578Q4IIDE3.jpg

• Like 2

I've got the 1.0 litre 125ps zetec s and get around 45mpg daily commute and 50mpg and more on longer journeys. Love it.....power and economy from a 1 litre.

DSC_0576.JPG

• Like 3

Nice car, is that magnetic grey?

I'm getting my focus titanium in about a week in magnetic colour. I'll post a pic of it when i get it and I'll give you my honest review on the engine. Bare in mind that its the 5 speed 100ps estate though :)

Sent from my Toaster using TalkaTap

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MaxDee said:

Nice car, is that magnetic grey?

Yep magnectic grey

• Like 1

Getting the new car on the 25th now. Been put back slightly :(

Sent from my Toaster using TalkaTap

• 3 weeks later...

So i got my new car a few days ago. Absolutely brilliant. Cannot fault it in any way. very roomy, ambient lighting looks the nuts and it's a proper mile muncher. when i got the car, it had 7 miles on it, now though, its got 150 on it. i drive it with every opportunity i get. ive got avg 33.9 mpg but thats mostly in town. on the M25 yesterday, i think i was getting 55 mpg. it'll probably improve once the engine has fully bedded in. the engine is very punchy and sounds brilliant imo. so if you're still considering the 125, i'd go for it. I've got the 100. i think it's very nippy. proper pulls in 2nd gear. it's a brilliant little engine. proper impressed by it.

• Like 1

i took some footage from the dash cam when i was racing home today to get to asda before it shut lol. its a 0-30 for ya lol. i changed into 2nd at around 4400 rpm and i think i was pushing the loud pedal down around 2/3rds