Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Smax 2009 Ignition only fuse for Dashcam?

DDangerous

Hello - I can't seem to find a definitive answer on the forums so wondered if anyone could help.

I want to hardwire my Nextbase dashcam to the Smax Central fuse box (under glovebox) by piggybacking off an existing fuse.

However the hardwire kit recommends a 'non permanent live' fuse such as rear wiper but this fuse on my model is in the engine box not the glovebox one.

I have attached a diagram of the fuses available to me can anyone suggest an ignition only fuse that is relatively safe/non vital i can piggy back off so my dash cam only operates when the car is turned on?

Thank you

s_max_central_fusebox.jpg

Brill - thanks very much, i will hook it up tonight.

No problem , use that fuse for wiring front parking sensors.

Cool - so it doesnt matter that my car has front sensors fitted, i can still use this fuse?

Yep, that was where aftermarket front sensors were tapped into

• 1 month later...

Did this work for you? I had the same question a few months ago and every fuse location I tried remained live - I even left it an hour for each fuse to check they weren't kept live for a certain amount of time after locking the car.

I ended up buying a usb extender with an inline on/off switch so I can manually turn it off and on. Not ideal but works fine!

• 2 months later...

Does fuse 4 work then anybody?

If not which one? Dont mind if it delays for 20 mins or whatever as long as it powers down eventually. As per adamzap I'm struggling to find one that is not permanent on my 2012 s-max.

Managed to do my Focus 2012 no bother.

Thanks in advance.

• 10 months later...

IMG_4128.thumb.JPG.508b878ee7c36786ccd05b41a4b1b4fd.JPGI had the same issues as described above - all live. I searched around the internet until I found this - but of course there are unanswered questions above - so to give back a little..

I followed IanTT's comment on fuse 4 (the electronic feed) - which on my 2014 Smax is F20 (Central fuse box under the glove box).

Confirmed - works with switch and my dash cam is now happily plumbed into that fuse using a piggy back adaptor from Halfords.

Images of my handbook and fusebox. Ignore circle around F9 - that's a red herring. I used F20 - the 7.5 amp fuse.

hope this helps someone.

IMG_4128.JPG

IMG_4127.JPG

IMG_4126.JPG

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

The OP has a different fusebox to the suggestions made further down.  I have an 08 smax and the fusebox differs significantly from 06-09 to 10-onwards.  Any ideas for an ignition controlled live on the earlier model, shown in the OPs original post, would be cool.