Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.8 53 plate focus software update

!Removed! quinn

Hi there, I took my focus 53 plate 1.8 petrol for dianostic check as engine light came on, then fuel consumption goes mental£10 gets24 miles, looked on here for any clues, read inlet  mamifold, map sensor,,  the dianostic check says software update which can only be done by ford, I called local ford for quiery, she says that I book it In and the guys check it to see what updates, a this. Costly? Has anyone else done it?ty. In advance 

£90 or there abouts all depends on the area

Oh cool Ty Scot my luck it be more haha:sleep:

Note that there is no recent software for a focus this old. The latest available software for this type of engine is most likely 10 Years old (or even older).

A software update will not solve your problem I'm afraid. An illuminated engine light indicates an actual problem. If this happens it is most likely that one or more DTC codes are stored. A DTC code will point you in the direction of the problem. It will never direct you to perform a software update.

You should invest in a decent diagnostic instead of a software update. Diagnostics using a Ford specific diagnostic system like the Ford IDS system show a lot manufacturer specific DTC codes and detailed information that a generic diagnostic system does not show.

I agree with what JW1982 said, but there may be a newer version of the software than what is in the car, even if it is 10+ years old. My car was running its factory software, but there are 2 revisions available since then, the newest over 9 years old, but still never than the one in the car!

A dealer should do a diagnostic at the same time as the update anyway, but I would get a cheap ELM scanner and have a look yourself first, the problem might be very simple to fix.

In this case the currently installed software worked well for several Years. A problem that suddenly occurs after such a long time is not software related and can not be solved by updating the software.

A software update is not a magic thing that solves problems. Newer software is not necessarily better. In some cases newer software is even developed  to reduce emissions and makes the car perform not as good as before the update.