Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus mk2 TDCI (DPF) query...

bongos

Ah yes, The Renault Qashqai! I have a strong dislike for those things.  Owners should resit their driving test before they can buy them.

• Like 1

• Like 1

Its why I made sure that non of my diesel cars had a DPF, my dad has a C3 Picasso with the DV6 engine, I warned him about the DPF (and indeed the DV6 engine) - he has so far had to have the DPF regenerated and most of the oil system has been replaced. I will probably move to a small petrol powered car for my next car as its not worth getting a modern diesel anymore with all of the DPF and restrictions on them.

16 hours ago, Dee_82 said:

EGR blanking doesn't cause an EML on mine, that might not be the case on the EuroV engine tho, mines a EuroIV +DPF and its been EGR free since day one, all is good in the world except it doesn't heat up quite so quick! thankfully we have Aux Electric heaters on our diesels!

blanking the EGR via a software patch is more or less the same as blanking it physically, the only difference as Tom said is you might get an EML pop up (I'm not sure you defo will as mine doesn't) the other difference is that if your EGR valve is already causing you problems then physically blanking it wont fix it.

I think its the Euro IV + DPF, like yours. Do you still have the DPF or did you take it out when you did the blanked off the EGR? Presumably even on the Euro IV you need to have the DPF deleted after removal or you would get error codes even if blanking of the EGR doesn't cause them on this engine.

22 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

The EGR still needs deleting from the ECU on the 1.6, it'll bring up fault codes and possibly limp mode on the later ones if not.  Also you cant blank the EGR if keeping the DPF, it's used to heat up the engine for the DPF regeneration.

Diesel engines always produce soot, its not the EGR that creates it despite what some people write on here lol.  If you delete the DPF from the ECU without smashing it out it'll block up within a fortnight and the backpressure will blow the turbo.

Unfortunately you'll probably have to travel if you want a decent remap, there aren't many about that I'd trust.   Some prices here to give you an idea - http://www.hdi-tuning.co.uk/ecu-remapping/custom-remaps/ford-tuning/focus-1600-TDCI/focus-tuning-1-6-110-TDCI.html

Thanks for the info Tom. I'd assumed (incorrectly) that blanking the EGR off would help protect the DPF. But actually it seems it would just risk making it worse as it couldn't get hot enough to regen. There seems to be so much contradiction out there on what EGR valves and DPF's are designed to do and how they interact. So, if i've finally got it right (probably not lol):

EGR valve blanking

Pros -  more power/torque/less flat spots + better MPG, removes the risk of diesel exhaust blowing past piston rings (which would eventually carbonise the oil, knackering your engine/starving your turbo of oil in the process). 

Cons - reduces heat available for DPF to get up to temp and regen leading to more DPF grief and much sooner presumably. Increased insurance premium..

DPF removal & deletion

Pros - less back pressure on engine/turbo so less wear and tear. Obvious removal of DPF failure and £££ down the line.

Cons - will fail MoT if detected. Illegal anyway. Not great for the air we breath.

Have I got this remotely right? Thanks for the link to the Bristol firm on remapping also. It's a pity they're not closer!

16 hours ago, ippy said:

Stick with a petrol m8

This is beginning to sound like the best option TBH. I'm looking for a solution to a problem I don't even have! :D

Just like to understand my options though!!

I try not to say, just in case people are reading that id rather didn't know! lol

But lets just say, my DPF was *fixed* shortly after I blanked off the EGR, read from that what you will  

But yes, if you were going to gut the DPF can, then you will need to have the software removed as well or risk some problems.  Blanking the EGR doesn't require anything extra unless you get EMLs

18 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Ah, I don't know anything about Quashqai's!  Just out of interest, what did he decide to do with it?  Fit a cheap one or sell up for a petrol?

He's now left with the 'white elephant' sitting idle until he gets a cheap DPF and I think he's keeping it! I spoke on the phone with him last week (he lives in Stourbridge, I'm in West Lothian) and asked what possessed him to buy it without researching DPF issues. I even had a go at him for taking his wife's (new to her) Peugeot RCZ through a car wash! 😱

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dee_82 said:

I try not to say, just in case people are reading that id rather didn't know! lol

This post made me lol! I came across loads of your posts in DPF issue threads while trying to research the topic more and could never work out which way you had gone with the DPF. I had an idea but wasnt sure... :wink:

Well, if I get this car i'll start with blanking off the EGR valve and go from there. If i dont then i'll just keep the Mk1 til it gives up. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Just to update anyone who should come across this post and be mulling over the same DPF/EGR thoughts as I always think it's annoying when you don't get a "how's it running now?" sort of response further down the line!!

i ended up installing the blanking plate and saw a vast improvement in engine smoothness from low RPM. I went for the one linked by Lenny (can't remember who i bought it from now but it was a stainless steel solid one with no drilled hole, via ebay).

i can't comment on fuel economy as I only drove it standard with one tank but the MPG gained now are certainly good. I have the Euro IV engine and just as Dee_82 said, I didn't require any remapping for the blanking plate. It was just slide it in and go. My father in law (who owned the car for 6 years) drove it last week and said that the flatness at low revs had totally gone. He was impressed by the difference it made.

All in all, really pleased with the car and the difference made by this tiny modification.

As for the DPF...it stays...for now...

• Like 1

Good to hear, just keep on top of those 6K oil changes and doing the distance driving to help burn the soot in the DPF. 

On 10/05/2016 at 10:55 PM, iantt said:

the renault qashqai.!! say no more

On 11/05/2016 at 0:04 AM, Dee_82 said:

Ah yes, The Renault Qashqai!

Ian & Darren, just have to point out the Quashqai's a Nissan. :whistling1:

• Like 1

you know, I read that this morning and thought, oops, I need to change that :)

9 hours ago, mjt said:

Ian & Darren, just have to point out the Quashqai's a Nissan. :whistling1:

with that comment i was pointing out the nissan(owned by renault) uses the renault engine so therefore was pointing out the obvious. lol

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

New to the forums, new to Fords, and new to turbo'd diesels (as of 3 weeks ago).

Have been doing a bit of reading in the various focus related forums about EGR's and remapping, but and there seems to be a fair bit of confusion about where the DPF/CAT's are, if you have one at all, and which order they're in.

Am I right in thinking the CAT comes directly off the exhaust side of the turbo, drops vertically down to the bottom of the engine bay and then connects to the DPF?

I had heard that the CAT is first as it helps to keep the temp up for the DPF's regen process, but this comment has me a little puzzled -

On 10/05/2016 at 0:18 PM, TomsFocus said:

Also you cant blank the EGR if keeping the DPF, it's used to heat up the engine for the DPF regeneration.

I get that the EGR would cause the intake temps to increase. I can't remember where I read it, but I thought that the EGR introduces "dead" exhaust gas to the air-fuel mix, effectively reducing the amount of combustible air/fuel in the cylinder, but would it really do that much to increase the exhaust gas temps? Surely less combustion means less heat?

As I said - I'm new here and just trying to learn about my car!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club