Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Intermittent fault code

pragmatix

I've got an interesting one intermittent EML no loss of performance, fuel economy good 55ish, car does long runs shortest is 23 miles, I can't nail down the point the EML comes on it just pops up, It resets using Forscan and can stay of for 200 + miles or can come on in as little as 5.

Can't find any physical faults, EGR is clean, hoses to sensors intact, done a static regen

forscan screen image attached

image.jpeg

Edited by pragmatix
Added missing image

Any ideas, could it be an electrical fault, I've had a history of those. It's a 57 plate 2 ltr tdci with 165k on the clock

have you checked the pressure sensor hoses for splits at the dpf end?

could be a faulty pressure sensor, thats not uncommon

Yep no splits in the hose, so it may be the sensor, kinda makes sense, if it was the hoses I would expect the fault all the time.

check the part number stamped on the sensor, i might have a 2nd hand about somewhere you can try if its the same.

Thanks will try to find it

Hi,

could you tell me what voltage are present at the plug going to the dpf pressure sensor ?

There are 3 wires : 1x 5V (or near), 1x 0V (Ground), and you must check the last.

Very easy : the black probe of your Voltmeter in the middle terminal of the plug (Gound), then probe the 2 others.

It takes 3min to do.

If I could get under the car I would 

Ta have had a look but not sure what I'm looking for, not clear in the Haynes manual

• 4 weeks later...

that seems more like the particulate filter needs a regen?

I've done a static regen, according to Forscan the operation was completed, most of my miles are mway at mway speeds I.e. Not 70

If that is the only error code, it sounds pretty specific that either the dpf is partially blocked, or the pressure sensor is reading high for some reason.

Perhaps you could try disconnecting the hose(s) from the sensor, see if it then says the reading is too low. If so, it must be the dpf, or the hoses to the sensor. If it still reads high then it almost has to be the sensor.

I tried to find the sensor but couldn't , not sure what I'm looking for, NPN said its near the wipers, that's the only clue I got.

I think the sensor looks like this. It should have two small hoses that find their way down to the DPF unit on the exhaust.

Also see:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OEM-PRESSURE-SENSOR-3M5A5L200AB-F-FORD-1-6-2-0-2-2-TDCI-DPF-EXHAUST-DIFFERENTIAL/141975663295?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140122125356%26meid%3Dff1cf0221a384275a600593b4ef42c24%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dlo%26sd%3D252360997695

Seems to say it is the right one, but you had better check before buying, if you need to.

Peter.

sensor.JPG

Ta will take a look, had a look can't see anything like that on the bulkhead in the engine bay,

Edited by pragmatix
Now looked

It is looking to me as if the sensor is in the left hand front wheel arch, behind the wheel arch trim.

The type & pictures in this manual are tiny, I can barely read it, but it still looks fairly clear. See:

http://workshop-manuals.com/ford/mondeo_2007.5_02.2007/mechanical_repairs/3_powertrain/309_exhaust_system/309-00e_exhaust_system_2.0l_duratorq-tdci_(dw)_diesel/description_and_operation/removal_and_installation/diesel_particulate_filter_(dpf)_differential_pressure_sensor/

Also I have extracted two pics from it:

DPF1.jpg

DPF2.jpg

Thank you, that kinda makes sense, will have to get a set of wheel arch trim clips before I look at that, from past experience they are a one shot use, or maybe they are just old on my car

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Did you find the pressure sensor?

No not had chance to look, been ill and have a new puppy so not had time, thanks for asking.

why I ask is that it could be in 2 postions, either behind wheel arch liner as previously described or low down on bulk head like this one I found.

to the left of battery hiding behind the scuttle panel drain hose, pushed drain hose back so you can see

2016-07-08 17.11.45.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks that's very useful info, at least that's easy to look for.

Sensor is not on the bulkhead, so must be behind wheel arch

unlucky

ford must have decided under arch liner was not such a good idea by 2009