Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Newbie!

the_ace

Hi ya'll! I've just picked up asilver 5 door Focus 1.8 Zetec on an S plate at the auction for 500 notes. It needs a clutch so that will be getting sorted next week. It also needs a spare key as it currently only has one! Is this going to be a simple case of buying a new fob off eBay getting it cut then programming it myself? Or am i going to need to go to ford?:(

Loving the handling already!

Hi and welcome to the club.

Getting the clutch done is going to be a back street garage job. Wouldn't take it to ford for that as they will charge you a fortune.

As you say you can get a fob and key of eBay and get it cut, however it won't start the car or operate the remote central locking unless you get it programmed. It can somtimes be done without taking it to ford if the car hasn't been 'locked out' by ford. When you get your new key post back on here and I'll give you a guide

Hi and welcome to the club.

Getting the clutch done is going to be a back street garage job. Wouldn't take it to ford for that as they will charge you a fortune.

As you say you can get a fob and key of eBay and get it cut, however it won't start the car or operate the remote central locking unless you get it programmed. It can somtimes be done without taking it to ford if the car hasn't been 'locked out' by ford. When you get your new key post back on here and I'll give you a guide

Thanks for the quick reply mate, i'll do that once i get a key. Its away to the garage now, mechanic reckons it could be £400 for the clutch! I saw them on eBay for £60 ish so may have to look into DIYing it. Hopefully it doesn't need much more done, theres a knock from the front which he's going to look at and a major service so fingers crossed it will be all good by next week.

Thanks for the quick reply mate, i'll do that once i get a key. Its away to the garage now, mechanic reckons it could be £400 for the clutch! I saw them on ebay for £60 ish so may have to look into DIYing it. Hopefully it doesn't need much more done, theres a knock from the front which he's going to look at and a major service so fingers crossed it will be all good by next week.

did it come with the red key if not you wont get anything reprogrammed to the car which means reprogramming a new key wont work ford will need to connect it up to get the code then reissue new cut keys a costly job im afraid

• 4 weeks later...
did it come with the red key if not you wont get anything reprogrammed to the car which means reprogramming a new key wont work ford will need to connect it up to get the code then reissue new cut keys a costly job im afraid

artscot79

Don't you just love it when "thread starters" don't come back to you with the follow up. When you have been good enough to reply to their enquires.

im used to it on the passat forum people buy stuff with no research then expect things to be cheap and easy to fix, they dont like it when its not the case.

like the fiats his s reg should have a red key probably the reason its at auction is it doesnt so when the key wears out hes stuffed, not so bad with the later ones that dont use the red keys like my one i have the master and the remote key made damn sure it came with it.