Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Help with new laptop/webpage/set card.

jace1969

Just had a new laptop (MSI with nvida card) and all working good and so fast but 3 problems i need to solve.

How do you set the graphic card to work being a lot better,it works on dragon game centre and 2 setting pages but not on youtube,should it work like this.

I have tried the Device manager for the cards and both working and Nvida setting has it set to on but can you get things like everthing to run on it like Youtube.

When i open facebook its all in code ( page full of letters/symbols etc like a code)refresh and works,only facebook and on Firefox.

When i close lid it hibernates but when i open i have no sreen,all works but black screen,set all power setting etc.

For the first one update your video drivers from the nvidia website. In fact head on over here https://uk.msi.com/support and select the download and manual button. Its under the pictures of the 4 products. Then select your device and download the drivers required. Usually laptops and PC's alike ship with outdated drivers cause by the time you get them they release new ones. 

The second one is a firefox issue. I can confirm this as I just installed firefox and it does the same for me. My advice get chrome. Its faster, cleaner and doesn't crash as much as firefox :)

The last one sounds like a power setting error. Try turning power save off, close the lid and see what happens. Its either that or the hard drive is being slow. I have a £2000 custom built gaming PC and even mine takes a while for the monitor to come on. About 10 - 15 seconds. LED screens have to warm up before they turn on :) Its like the old days with tubes except now days they last longer, are thinner and clearer :) 

I hope this helps mate.

P.S. I have been building computers and fixing well almost anything electronic for over 7 years now. I'm self taught and love electronics. 

Cheers 

Ryan

As for the driver i did update them throught the Nvida control panel but when igo onto the MSI side i cant find my model or card.

GE62 6QD APACHE PRO the others are 2QD,The card is Nvidia gtx 960m,cant find the 960m just the 960

The power setting is set to Balanced and all set to never,i have looked at the Advanced and you have the drop down boxes.

You seem to know a lot about these,so you can run everything through the Nvidia so the Intel HD dont run anything as i thought the Nvida

is for the high stuff like games,i wanted it to run all as would be better for Youtube and netflix in 1080p

I have solved the Facebook,did a fresh link to my Favourite and works fine.

This Nivida card is something i would like to work and this lid,i do hope someone can shine some light on it as the

laptop is amazing.

Hey there firstly are you running windows 7 or 10? I am hoping windows 10 cause if you are try this for the power setting https://www.msi.com/Laptop/support/GE62-6QD-Apache-Pro.html#down-utility&Win10 64 This here is the utility software for the laptop. This not only allows you to fix things turn stuff off etc etc you can customise the keys lighting and whatnot. I have one for my MSI motherboard and its well worth it.

Version number 1.0.1508.1001 states that it addresses an issue which installs battery calibration which seems to be software built into the laptop to calibrate the power settings properly. This means that the windows power settings are in turn useless as your model laptop utillises its own power saving within the battery itself. Give this a try it comes with the latest version of the utility :)

Not knowing if you are windows 10 or 32 or 64 bit i cant do a huge search however just by doing a quick search on nvidias website and not the rubbish panel thing this comes up http://www.nvidia.co.uk/download/driverResults.aspx/102503/en-uk thats a huge file and will deffo fix a few things. My advice to be safe hit the automatic driver search. It will simply scan the hardware and install everything for nvidia. As for intel it does not use onboard intel HD graphics. The CPU is Intel i7 i believe which utilises all this stuff but as soon as you implement an external card it should disable. If not then thats going to be a bios check. Let me know if the drivers dont help and i will help you with the bios settings as it can get confusing with all those numbers etc etc. :) 

Could you tell me what games you intend on playing as tbh a gpu will not help youtube :) thats cpu and network bound. I7 is capable of all that on its own. 

Cheers 

Ryan

Hi,thanks for your help,i have also just solved the hibanate now thanks to you,i went into setting and reset the stuff again

and did what you said and worked.

So its just down to the one now,i have never had a laptop with another card in as i always ran off the onboard like the Intel HD.

I wont run a lot but its mainly car racing games but they are fast etc but i aint that up on the cards and how they work,i use Youtube a

lot and Netflix or amazon prime for films and just wanted to see if they could be linked to the card or you can disable the Intel one and the

Nivida would have to work like in Device manager but like i said i anin got a clue on the cards,will try the drivers but i have updated them

through the Device manager and the Nivida control panel,even searched on them both and says upto date,i just didnt know if it would work on all

or just kick in on high demand stuff like games which needs that bit more.

Im glad that i can be of assistance.

For this part im going to talk desktop but laptop is relatively the same thing. Nearly all motherboards come with on board graphics. My motherboard did not as its gaming and they assume you already have extenal graphics cards. 

I myself have a radeon r9 390 8gb card in my pc. Each graphics card has its own clock speed. For example 1500mhz. Now if you download an app called gpu-z for example it will show you that your gpu is running at something like 300mhz. You then sit and wonder how come when it states 1500mhz.

This is because the gpu is not required to run at full blast. Full blast is only set for those high intensive games like forza 6 apex or dirt rally. Things like youtube, amazon prime, Netflix and so forth are online video streaming. These do not require graphics card power all they need is the gpu to be well showing the picture on screen.

I can confirm that your gpu is already pushing out 1080p or even enough for 4k for that matter howeverthats a different story for another day :) 

The only things that will affect youtube and all that is cpu not being fast enough however you have a top end i7. Ram has a part to play but 8gb is enough. You have this or more. The next is data. Head on over to speedtest.net and do a quick check. 5mb download is plenty to watch videos in 1080p full hd. 

The last and most important is your browser history, cache and cookies. Enable cookies so sites load faster and please dont be me and let history and cache build up. I forgot and it slows your pc browsing down like a car with the engine dieing slowly. Clear it what once per week and your good to go.

Please do not head over to other forums where they say download this hard drive cleaner or this pc cleaner they just ruin your pc. 

I hope this helps

Ryan

Cheers for that,yes i think itis running all fine as the bottom icon bar on windows 10 where it hides the apps running the GPU is there and if i go over

it,it shows whats running on the Nividia card,all the time there are 3 and they are the  setting (SCM.EXE) gaming (Dragon)

and the Icloudservices.exe,i might be wrong but if it say needs it the Nivida seems to kick in and will pop up there saying its running.

It does have 16gb Ram,just wanted to know if it was working just to test it and stuff,so this gpu-z is a good thing the add and look and whats

running and whats using what and when and also the spec,i have the full Kaspersky total security and also Ccleaner for cleaning old stuff,always

untick the coockie so always keep them but hands up i do delete the history on that and Firefox,set it not to save history but do see you point there.

Might download that gpu-z just to see how things are doing,got to say i like this MSI and its so fast to open things and the screen is so sharp.

Glad you know your stuff as its solved as good as all now,wish Nivida didnt keep saying new drivers as when i check it says upto date,its on the hidden icon,when i go on it says updates waiting

but clicks it and checks and it says upto date (Nvidia GeForce Experience)

Big thanks there.

This is my test.5324209249.png

Jesus your internet is fast XD and yes there are two. You get gpu-z for your graphics card and cpu-z for your processor. I have both and i check it now and then to see if all is fine :)

Im glad your happy with the laptop and im glad i could help you. Anything else let me know.  

As for the nvidia thing its probably a glitch in the software. If it keeps doing it go to control panel uninstall it and grab the latest from the nvidia website. I had to do that for my amd drivers XD

Happy gaming and streaming mate

Ryan

1 hour ago, ryan1995fiesta said:

Jesus your internet is fast XD and yes there are two. You get gpu-z for your graphics card and cpu-z for your processor. I have both and i check it now and then to see if all is fine :)

Im glad your happy with the laptop and im glad i could help you. Anything else let me know.  

As for the nvidia thing its probably a glitch in the software. If it keeps doing it go to control panel uninstall it and grab the latest from the nvidia website. I had to do that for my amd drivers XD

Happy gaming and streaming mate

Ryan

Yes mate it dont half work good linked up to this MSI and thanks a lot for your help.

All the best.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club