Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Malfunction Light

Newuser

Whilst pulling away at a junction in my Ford Focus diesel recently the Engine Malfunction light came on at the same time as the Stability Control light.  Immediately went to reduced power, pulled into a layby and switched off engine.  After 4-5 mins, switched on engine and car started with no problem although felt a little jumpy for the rest of the journey

This has happened on a few occasions now although I've been able to restart shortly after.

Tried checking DTC codes through dashboard check each time but no errors showed.

Does anyone know if the diagnostic checks used by garage technicians is the same as the dashboard check?  Was thinking of taking it to my local garage but don't want to pay 80 pounds if they are in effect carrying out the same check as I already performed.

38 minutes ago, Newuser said:

Whilst pulling away at a junction in my Ford Focus diesel recently the Engine Malfunction light came on at the same time as the Stability Control light.  Immediately went to reduced power, pulled into a layby and switched off engine.  After 4-5 mins, switched on engine and car started with no problem although felt a little jumpy for the rest of the journey

This has happened on a few occasions now although I've been able to restart shortly after.

Tried checking DTC codes through dashboard check each time but no errors showed.

Does anyone know if the diagnostic checks used by garage technicians is the same as the dashboard check?  Was thinking of taking it to my local garage but don't want to pay 80 pounds if they are in effect carrying out the same check as I already performed.

this very same thing happened to me about a month ago. the car ran fine since. idk if its worth seeing a garage? I also have no DTC errors.

A friend has offered me the use of his diagnostic unit this weekend - will let you know if I get a different result using his tester.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Newuser said:

A friend has offered me the use of his diagnostic unit this weekend - will let you know if I get a different result using his tester.

yes please do, thanks

classic cluster fault symptoms you'll find no stored codes but you can get pending can bus error codes I don't know why now but the amount of mk2 focuses and mk1 that are having cluster faults are huge

Which engine light came on, the normal MIL light (picture of an engine in it), or the Engine Systems light (Circle with ! inside it on my 2006 Focus)?  If it is not the MIL light, it probably will not show up on a normal OBD scanner. The dashboard scan may not be any better.

The system I use is Forscan (free download software, and very easy to use) with an ELM327 interface (from about £10 up on eBay, lots of choice). This system can go as deep as most garage systems, and is Ford specific.

Your problem sounds like an intermittent electrical problem. May be CAN bus related.

CAN bus errors can give all sorts of odd error messages, as this bus links all the important bits of the car together. Often CAN bus problems are a bad connection in a connector, or on a pcb. I fixed a serious CAN bus related fault that immobilised my car completely, it had a dodgy joint on the Instrument Cluster pcb. See:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=40491

or look for:

Focus problem

Started by Pazza67, 9 May

on this site.

Peter.

Edited by Tdci-Peter
correct link

Wasn't actually an engine malfunction symbol that iluminated - the words came up on the LED in the centre of the instrument cluster.

Got a diagnostic check carried out and one fault code appeared - 'P1204 Cylinder No.4 injector open/short circuit.'  The code has been cleared now so will continue to monitor and see if it re-appears. 

Interestingly, when we were carrying out the check the stability light came on and 'Engine Malfunction' appeared on the LED at one point but I think this was because the connector from the diagnostic unit wasn't seated properly.

Diesel focuses (focii?) of a certain vintage are cursed with this - there is a known problem with the injectors (exact same problem happened to me). Short version: I did what you did, cleared codes and drove for a while but over time I eventually had to replace all 4 injectors. Another member on here had some luck getting Ford to agree to replace them, but I didn't have any joy and so it cost a chunk to get it sorted.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club