Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Has My Clutch Slave Cylinder Failed

pauljoanss

S Max 2007 Zetec TDCI 1.8

I suspect I know the answer, but just wanted to make sure I am not missing anything.

Clutch Pedal started to feel a bit dodgy 2 weeks ago, sometimes it would not return, had to lift back up with foot. Yesterday it failed completely and had to be AA'd home on truck. Today have tried bleeding the Slave cylinder but pedal has not recovered. Took bottom shield off engine to look underneath and can see liquid (could be brake fluid)  leaking from vent hole at bottom of bell housing. Is this conclusive and why the hell have the placed the slave cylinder inside the bell housing when on older cars it was outside and easy to replace.

Just one thing is nagging me, the fluid bleeding from the slave cylinder has quite a few black "rubber like" particles in it which I initially thought was an indication that the master cylinder had broken down. I assumed these could not have come from the slave cylinder because it appears to me that I am bleeding "upstream" from the cylinder or am I wrong?  

Regards