Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What mods for 1.5 tdci 120ps focus

Mazferrigno

Hi.

I'm new to all of this, but I've had a focus zetec s 1.5 tdci for a couple of months and at first I thought the 120ps was quite decent. Now however it just seems too slow as I'm used to it. 

I was wondering what I could do to get a little more out of it (other than a remap) without affecting my clutch/gearbox?

Thanks 

• Like 1

Just FYI, anything you do to add any meaningful power can potentially void the warranty.

• Like 1

Any big increase in power will have an affect on gearbox and clutch. Modest increases are OK as the good companies play within safe parameters.

• Like 2

Take a look at blufin if you're after a cheap, reliable & simple map.

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality detailing & Valeting supplies

• Like 1

OP has said they don't want a remap.

Thing is the ECU and standard map has torque targets, so even if you slapped on a better exhaust, reduced intake restrictions, etc. At best it will improve the responsiveness, but it is still going to make the same power, unless it couldn't actually reach its targets before (unlikely).

Also, just bear in mind, if you do look at mapping, the gearbox on the 1.5 tdci is only rated for 285Nm, so if a map advertises peak torque above this figure, then it is outside the boxes design spec.

Ford also usually limit torque in 1st and sometimes 2nd to protect the box and clutch, something most aftermarket maps remove or substantially lift.

I'm not trying to completely slam mapping, but you just need to be aware of what you can be getting yourself into.

• Like 2

Im likely to have the map anyway. I just said not map as i was looking for other ways aswell. 

I inquired about a map and i was told about a 35hp increase which is good. I was just hoping for about 180ps max really but i think it may be abit much for the gearbox.

• Like 1

Then you made a mistake getting the 1.5 diesel. If you want 180ish horse then swap your car for an ST diesel.

However I know of guys on here and elsewhere with the 1.6 diesel and more than happy with power gains of 30bhp.

Have you looked at Celtic Tuning? They increase the 1.6 power to 147 but don't know about the 1.5.

• Like 3

On 20/05/2016 at 4:34 PM, tazzman600 said:

Then you made a mistake getting the 1.5 diesel. If you want 180ish horse then swap your car for an ST diesel.

However I know of guys on here and elsewhere with the 1.6 diesel and more than happy with power gains of 30bhp.

Have you looked at Celtic Tuning? They increase the 1.6 power to 147 but don't know about the 1.5.

Ive got a quote from a DK tuning who told me they could get it to 155 and a 65nm increase on the torque. Ill likely be going for that.

Well I've just looked them up and contacted them regarding my 1.6 diesel. What did they quote you?

• 7 months later...
On Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 4:33 PM, alexp999 said:

Thing is the ECU and standard map has torque targets, so even if you slapped on a better exhaust, reduced intake restrictions, etc. At best it will improve the responsiveness, but it is still going to make the same power, unless it couldn't actually reach its targets before (unlikely).

Also, just bear in mind, if you do look at mapping, the gearbox on the 1.5 tdci is only rated for 285Nm, so if a map advertises peak torque above this figure, then it is outside the boxes design spec.

Ford also usually limit torque in 1st and sometimes 2nd to protect the box and clutch, something most aftermarket maps remove or substantially lift.

I'm not trying to completely slam mapping, but you just need to be aware of what you can be getting yourself into.

So the bluefin takes the torque above safety limits anyway?

On 19/05/2016 at 4:33 PM, alexp999 said:

Alex you don't happen to know the torque rating for the 1.6 TDCi 115PS do you? Looking at a remap but will likely wait longer until I get a stronger DMF and clutch

This is my remap from MOREBHP in Crewe Cheshire. 1.6 TDCI mk3 

Had it done at 6 months old. Not had any problems what so ever, it's now remapped to 137 Bhp & 335 NM .

I change the oil at 6 monthly intervals and drive carefully in it, but when needed it absolutely flies along, and still surprises me on the pulling power. 

As long as you don't abuse the engine it will last. I've done about 35,000 miles since it was remapped. 

http://www.talkford.com/community/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=176674

I have the Spider Arachnid on my 115 1.6 TDCI which has taken her to 153 HP and 340 torque. Been there for 25K miles now without a hitch and still brings a smile to my face. I can change the setting on the fly from economy,through 4 fast road setting to race. I can remove in in 5 mins to return car to standard. I can also wheelspin through to third gear in the wet!!!!

So far gearbox has been fine, but I did fit an uprated rear mount early on which stops a lot of issues

Oh and I fitted a whitelines rear anti roll bar to level her out and it has improved the handling no end

20 hours ago, madmole said:

I have the Spider Arachnid on my 115 1.6 TDCI which has taken her to 153 HP and 340 torque. Been there for 25K miles now without a hitch and still brings a smile to my face. I can change the setting on the fly from economy,through 4 fast road setting to race. I can remove in in 5 mins to return car to standard. I can also wheelspin through to third gear in the wet!!!!

So far gearbox has been fine, but I did fit an uprated rear mount early on which stops a lot of issues

Oh and I fitted a whitelines rear anti roll bar to level her out and it has improved the handling no end

Who made the mount?

I havent seen any available

• 2 weeks later...

Search on eBay for the inserts by powerflex or replacement mounts

• 1 year later...

Looking at remapping my own 64 plate focus. The company I've found are saying 30-35bhp with 50-60nm torque increase. They do a 20-25bhp and 40-50nm one as well. Just wondering whether the first one would be to much.

The 1.6tdci will be fine with the 30bhp & 50-60 NM . Mine was remapped with 65NM & 22bhp , some people had more bhp. 

Mine was run for about 40k miles before I sold it with absolutely no issues at all. 

It transformed the car to a fast sprinter , very rapid for a 1.6 diesel and improved the mpg too. 

On regualar trips to work , over the whole tank it would average 60 mpg. That was calculated manually brim to brim refil. 

Dont hesitate in getting it remapped, it’s soooo worth while. 

• Thanks 1

Quick question for the two fellas who have had theirs done, did the remapper go through the OBD. The reason I ask is because Celtic tuning say ECU has to be removed and there is no way to do the map via OBD. However i have another guy saying it can be done all via the OBD.

I’m not sure to be honest. I had a live remap done with rolling road but wasn’t present whilst they were doing it. 

But thinking about it , it if it was a live map surely the ecu would have to be on the car whilst it was on the rolling road, so assuming the remap was done via the OBD port. 

42 minutes ago, drsdriver said:

I’m not sure to be honest. I had a live remap done with rolling road but wasn’t present whilst they were doing it. 

But thinking about it , it if it was a live map surely the ecu would have to be on the car whilst it was on the rolling road, so assuming the remap was done via the OBD port. 

Oh ok. I've done a little reading up on it and it would appear they can now be done via OBD. 

There's so much different info out there. I found it hard to believe they can't be done as the Bluefin does it and quite a few of the remapped cars I've read about have used them.

Issue is the bcu records each time the map is played with so youve niw list your warranty. Also the map is great for your car now! What happens if you change the airflow or it wears. Screwed! . A third gen chip dynamically adjusts in real time

Not sure what you mean change the airflow ! Assume you mean upgrading the panel filter to a K&N ? 

I don’t really think it would make any difference to the remap . I regularly changed my stock air filter yearly and it never made any difference. 

Think it’s easy to over think things sometimes. 

I had my car remapped at 6 months old. I told the Ford garage at all services that I had it remapped, only because I didn’t want them plugging their computer into it and wiping my map off. The car was so great to drive and the performance upgrade was phonimal compared to standard. The mpg was also impressive, so I was very reluctant for the garage to wipe it off. 

They had no qualms in what I told them about the car and carried out its yearly services every year with no issues. 

Its only under warranty for 3 years anyway , but as long as you don’t abuse the engine their will be no damage, I also changed the oil 6 monthly between the services.

sold the car when it was 4.5 years old with about 60k on it . 55k was with the remap. 

When I was looking at tuning my mk3 1.6 diesel that I had I found that there were 3 different ways to tune the car. 1 was via a tuning box plugged into the end of the fuel injection tube (a real pig of a job but a few find it easy God only knows how tho).
2 a method like blufin which goes via the OBD
3 a proper remap where the ECU has to be removed so that it can be opened up to reach a part of the board not accessed via any socket or similar. This also disabled the recording part of the ecu where it records everytime something is done to it. Method 3 is the best and is the only choice of professionals.
At the end of the day tho it's up to the individual and costs.
How did I tune my focus you may wonder.
I chopped it in for a mk4.5 mondeo titanium x sport ecoboost. Worth every penny.

• Haha 1

That's one hell of a remap!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club