Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BaSTian – Frozen White Fiesta Mk7.5 ST3 – build thread

Dan P

Welcome to my build thread for my brand new Fiesta ST3 (with options of reverse sensors and a spare wheel).

This is my second build thread having started one last year when I did a lot of work to Eve (Focus Mk2 Zetec Climate 2.0). We’ve now become a two car household and Eve will now be Mrs P’s car – build thread here – so I’ll still be updating that one every now and then.

I purchased my ST through DriveTheDeal after getting some very good advice on the forum – see this thread for more info.

I ordered the car on 18th April and was told to expect to wait 10-14 weeks before delivery but received a very surprising phone call last Friday to say that I would be able to collect the car today after a wait of just four and a half weeks. I spent the weekend sorting out insurance (ended up with AXA – best price and accept my planned modifications without altering the policy) and GAP insurance (5 year policy with Easy Gap).

So here he is at the dealership:

16 05 19 - Dealer 1.JPG

16 05 19 - Dealer 3.JPG

16 05 19 - Dealer 4.jpg

16 05 19 - Dealer 5.jpg

16 05 19 - Dealer 6.JPG

There’s a tiny paint defect on the rear bumper – I tried to get a photo but couldn’t capture it effectively – so the car will have to go back for a little touch-up in the next few weeks. Other than that the car is perfect and I enjoyed my drive back home.

Having learned a lot through working on Eve I’ve already got a few modifications planned and I’m not going to hang around to do them either… Over the last few weeks I’ve been very busy researching and buying parts so that I can get Bastian just how I want him ASAP.

I’m really not a fan of the ST alloys, so I knew they’d have to go. After a lot of Google image searches and trawling through online car forums and wheel shops I ended up buying some Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 (which were the wheels I always wanted anyway) in Anthracite Gloss.

For those who are interested the original wheels on the Fiesta ST are: Diameter 17”, Width 7J, PCD 4 x 108, Offset ET47.5, Hub diameter of 63.4mm.

The Team Dynamics are: Diameter 17”, Width 7J, PCD 4 x 108, Offset ET38, Hub diameter of 73.1mm.

I bought the wheels from Demon Tweeks who supplied a fitting kit (spigot rings to cater for the difference in hub diameter and appropriate nuts) and I also bought a set of McGard locking nuts. Team Dynamics recommend an offset of 38 for the Fiesta and from my research on the web, consensus seems to be that offset of 38-42 is preferable. I received the wheels a couple of days ago and had fitted the spigot rings ready for installation. So, having driven home from the dealership this afternoon, I loaded up the boot and the back seats with wheels and headed to my local tyre shop to get my alloys swapped over with just 66 miles on the clock! (The ST alloys will be up for sale soon – PM me if you’re interested).

16 05 19 - TD Wheel 1.JPG

16 05 19 - TD Wheel 2.JPG

16 05 19 - TD Wheel 4.JPG

16 05 19 - TD Wheel 3.JPG

16 05 19 - Alloy swap 03.JPG

16 05 19 - Alloy swap 05.JPG

16 05 19 - Alloy swap 07.JPG

16 05 19 - Alloy swap 08.JPG

Going forward I’ve got the following modifications planned (I know I should have done the security mods first but I was too excited about the wheels):

Security

Install dummy OBD port and relocate original

Tracker – Rewire Security TK102 and hard-wire kit

Cosmetic

Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 alloys

Rok Blokz Mud flaps

Silvatec indicator bulbs

Replace number plates

Performance

Mountune MP215

Audio

Subwoofer – Alpine SBG-1044BR

5-Channel Amplifier – Alpine MRV-V500

• Like 4

Wheels look really good! Have you thought about lowering it a tad?

Interested to see what comes next :smile:

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Tom-B64 said:

Wheels look really good! Have you thought about lowering it a tad?

Interested to see what comes next :smile:

Thanks Tom - I may end up lowering the car eventually but I need a bit of time to get used to it before I make a decision. Given that I drive around town quite a bit I don't want to make it too uncomfortable or impractical!

loving he wheels and like the colour of them. look forward to more updates

• Like 1

Its looking great Dan, well wear. I feel the same way about lowering. I'm torn because I'd love to lower mine with just springs (enough of a drop for me) but I drive on a lot of awful country roads and I don't want to destroy the ride/comfort. I currently have 16s on my Red Edition (dealer sold me them for €250 to seal the sale) but I have the 17" Red Edition alloys waiting to be mounted. I was going to treat them as my summer alloys but I'm unsure about changing them because I don't want the harsh ride. How does it drive on the TD alloys? They look great btw.

• Like 1

I managed to get another few mods done yesterday.

First up was to hide my OBD port and install a dummy port from eBay.

16 05 20 - OBD dummy.JPG

I followed the advice in this video to access and remove the port. I secured the real port behind the dash and installed the dummy in its place.

After that I set about installing a tracker. I opted to buy a TK102 from Rewire Security having read positive reviews and threads like this one.

16 05 20 - Tracker 1.JPG

I bought mine from their eBay store as it was cheaper than through the Rewire Security website. I opted to get a GiffGaff pay as you go SIM as it’s considerably cheaper than the one supplied with the tracker. Setting it up is very easy if you use the GPS Rewire app and is a lot less fiddly than working out all of the text commands that you’d need to send. I trialed it for a couple of days before I got the car just carrying it around with me on my journeys to work and it worked very effectively – although when I sent a location request when I first got it, it still thought it was at the factory where it was made!

16 05 20 - Tracker 3.png

I also bought a hardwire kit, a crimp ring for the earth wire, piggy back fuse and some fuses (I wanted a 3A for this) all from eBay. I attached the piggy back to fuse 6 (rear wiper) and after removing the fabric panel under the glove box, found a convenient place to attach the earth.

16 05 20 - Tracker 2.JPG

I then removed a few bits of trim and secured the tracker and cable in a secret location!

I then set about de-tangoing with Silvatec BU581S bulbs for the front and rear and BU501S for the wing mirror repeaters.

16 05 20 - Silvatecs 1.JPG

I think it looks a lot better now.

16 05 20 - Silvatecs 2.JPG

16 05 20 - Silvatecs 3.JPG

16 05 20 - Silvatecs 4.JPG

16 05 20 - Silvatecs 5.JPG

16 05 20 - Silvatecs 7.jpg

16 05 20 - Silvatecs 8.jpg

I then went out for a nice little drive. The car feels fantastic and sounds lovely too. I haven’t pushed it too hard yet but I can tell we’re going to have a lot of fun together!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, opr said:

Its looking great Dan, well wear. I feel the same way about lowering. I'm torn because I'd love to lower mine with just springs (enough of a drop for me) but I drive on a lot of awful country roads and I don't want to destroy the ride/comfort. I currently have 16s on my Red Edition (dealer sold me them for €250 to seal the sale) but I have the 17" Red Edition alloys waiting to be mounted. I was going to treat them as my summer alloys but I'm unsure about changing them because I don't want the harsh ride. How does it drive on the TD alloys? They look great btw.

Thanks.

There's got to be quite a few members on here who have lowered their Zetecs who would be able to give you a good idea of how lowering on springs and changing to 17" alloys would affect the ride. The suspension on the ST is different so I don't know that it's really fair to compare it against the Red Edition but it is very firm, but I wouldn't accuse it of being too harsh. I only did 60 miles on the original alloys so I don't really have any basis for comparison for the TDs - they're considerably lighter than the original alloys and they look pretty!

• Like 1

good call with the de tangoing

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, b4zz said:

good call with the de tangoing

Thanks Barry. I think it's one of the best cheap and easy mods and gives the car a cleaner look.

Nice!

Best colour! :cool:

I've done/planned some similar mods, the ODB is on order, quite interested in your tracker, can this be powered via a USB?

• Like 2

Nice!

Best colour! cool.png

I've done/planned some similar mods, the ODB is on order, quite interested in your tracker, can this be powered via a USB?

Thanks.

Yes, the tracker comes with a USB lead.

Looking good so far.

ive got the Rok Blokz mud flaps on mine, the wheel arch liners on the US cars are slightly different to ours, I had to make a spacer for one of the fixings and needed a slightly longer screw for the inner fixing. If you're going to pay out for them I'd pay a bit more and get the rally armour flaps which have a better looking way of mounting them, they have made a version for the UK cars. I would have gone for them but they still under development at the time.

• Like 1

Looking good so far.

ive got the Rok Blokz mud flaps on mine, the wheel arch liners on the US cars are slightly different to ours, I had to make a spacer for one of the fixings and needed a slightly longer screw for the inner fixing. If you're going to pay out for them I'd pay a bit more and get the rally armour flaps which have a better looking way of mounting them, they have made a version for the UK cars. I would have gone for them but they still under development at the time.

Thanks for the warning. I've already got the Rok Blokz on order (if they ever get here - according to USPS they're currently in Montreal having been in London last week and California the week before) so I guess I'll have to modify them. Do all 4 need the spacer and longer screw or just fronts / rears?

• Like 1

Just the fronts, just wanted to make you aware that they might need modding to fit. 

I made a spacer out of some hose like in the kit, for the top fixing.

• Like 1

Just the fronts, just wanted to make you aware that they might need modding to fit. 

I made a spacer out of some hose like in the kit, for the top fixing.

That's brilliant, thanks. Should save me some head-scratching and copious amounts of swearing!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Dan P said:

Thanks.

Yes, the tracker comes with a USB lead.

Cheers!

What made you choose the Rok Blokz over any others that are available?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Maxxxykins said:

What made you choose the Rok Blokz over any others that are available?

I checked out these install videos for the Rok Blokz and Rally Armor flaps and checked out the Rallyflapz website and thought that the Rok Blokz looked like they were better engineered. If mine ever arrive I'll be posting up some photos and info on the install.

• Like 1

On 24/05/2016 at 11:00 PM, Dan P said:

I checked out these install videos for the Rok Blokz and Rally Armor flaps and checked out the Rallyflapz website and thought that the Rok Blokz looked like they were better engineered. If mine ever arrive I'll be posting up some photos and info on the install.

Yeah I really wanted the Rally Armor ones, couldn't find a good price for them though!

• Like 1

On Friday evening I was able to give Bastian a good clean.

I'd ordered a couple of products from amazon to assist: Sonax Xtreme Shampoo 2 in 1 and Sonax Xtreme Brilliant Shine Detailer having read this review

16 05 28 - Clean 01.JPG

The shampoo came with some very comprehensive instructions in German.

16 05 28 - Clean 02.JPG

After a little bit of time on Google translate I knew what I was doing:

• Remove dirt from the vehicle with a strong water jet.
  • Put 2 caps of shampoo in bucket, add 10 liters warm water.
  • Wash an area of the car.
  • Rinse area immediately, then do the next.
  • Once you've done the whole car rinse out the bucket then fill with 10 liters of cold water and add 1/2 cap of shampoo and mix (so it doesn't lather up).
  • Starting from the roof, pour this all over the car.  There is no need to dry it.

Water pretty much just ran off the car after the wash. The shampoo felt very slippery - if that's the right word.

I then used the detailer which was incredibly easy to use and gave a lovely shine. It hasn't rained yet so I haven't seen how well it's going to bead yet. I'm sure there are superior products out there, but I wanted something which is going to give really good results without masses of effort - it appears to have delivered so far. I've done a couple of hundred miles since using the two products and other than picking up a few squished bugs on the front the car has stayed incredibly clean, dirt just doesn't seem to be sticking to it. I also treated the front and rear screens to a coat of RainX (since I tried it on Eve I don't think I could live without it now!)

16 05 28 - Clean 03.jpg

16 05 28 - Clean 04.jpg

16 05 28 - Clean 05.jpg

16 05 28 - Clean 06.jpg

16 05 28 - Clean 07.jpg

16 05 28 - Clean 08.JPG

• Like 1

Never heard of having to pour a bucket of water over a car before...

But yeah putting some form of protection on is the best, can just see dirt flying off, bugs still get impaled on my bumper though. RIP to all the moths at night.

How much did you get the detailer for?

• Like 1

Never heard of having to pour a bucket of water over a car before...

But yeah putting some form of protection on is the best, can just see dirt flying off, bugs still get impaled on my bumper though. RIP to all the moths at night.

How much did you get the detailer for?

Not just a bucket of water, a bucket of water with a little bit of shampoo dissolved in it!

Detailer was £11, shampoo £12.

Im going to go against everyone else and say I'd rather have the ST alloys 

I like the colour of the new ones, however I think they look too small and like the style of the ST alloys more 

Other than that I like what you are doing with it 

• Like 2

Sorry but pouring a bucket of shampoo over your car is just a waste of product & a way for the manufacturer to make you buy more ;)

You're better off using a shampoo, as a shampoo..

Same as you use your wash mitt as a wash mitt.

If simply using the shampoo as a shampoo doesn't apply enough protection, (its designed to be self drying not provide crazy protection) then buy a dedicated protection, for example you've bought the QD

An easier way to make drying easier is to use an open ended hose from top to bottom to cause the water to "sheet" and dry itself :)

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality detailing & Valeting supplies

• Like 1

Im going to go against everyone else and say I'd rather have the ST alloys 

I like the colour of the new ones, however I think they look too small and like the style of the ST alloys more 

Other than that I like what you are doing with it 

Cheers.

It's good that we've all got different opinions and tastes or we'd all be driving identical cars rather than having fun modding and tailoring our vehicles to our own desires!

In the long term I will consider both lowering and putting on a set of 18" rims but I've got to balance that out against everyday practicality and comfort.

You're better off using a shampoo, as a shampoo..

There's no point me using shampoo at all, I'm about as hairy as my car!

In all seriousness it is a bit of a bonkers suggestion! As it goes I can't trust London water not to leave any marks so I squegeed and towel dried anyway.

• Like 1