Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brakes difference between Zetec S and Tit X

Morning All,

I have a quick question regarding the brakes setup on my Titanium X compared to a Zetec S...

On my 2015 Focus I have the 1.0 Ecoboost (125) and I only seem to have front discs and drums on the rear, yet my friend has a 2016 1.0 Ecoboost (125) and he has discs front and back...?

Any know why this is? Are they trying to kill off Titanium X owners? more to the fact that discs look a lot better than drums...

Any help would be spiffing

Cheers

Whether the car has rear drum brakes or disc brakes does not depend on the trim level. It depends on the market (country) the car is built for and the body type.

Some countries do still have rear drum brakes on the Hatchback body type of the 1.0 ECOboost, 1.6 TI-VCT and (some versions of) the 1.6 TDCI.while the Wagon body type does always have rear disc brakes.

Other countries (for example Germany) have rear dis brakes as standard on all body types.

It is basically a decision of the importer/distributor of the particular country which is probably based on money and requirements/regulations of the particular country.. Across Europe the trim levels and technical specifications of the Focus MK3/MK3.5 are often very different. In some countries the Focus MK3/MK3.5 was/is available without ABS while vehicles in other countries have the IVD system (ABS, ESP and TCS) as standard.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JW1982 said:

Whether the car has rear drum brakes or disc brakes does not depend on the trim level. It depends on the market (country) the car is built for and the body type.

Some countries do still have rear drum brakes on the Hatchback body type of the 1.0 ECOboost, 1.6 TI-VCT and (some versions of) the 1.6 TDCI.while the Wagon body type does always have rear disc brakes.

Other countries (for example Germany) have rear dis brakes as standard on all body types.

It is basically a decision of the importer/distributor of the particular country which is probably based on money and requirements/regulations of the particular country.. Across Europe the trim levels and technical specifications of the Focus MK3/MK3.5 are often very different. In some countries the Focus MK3/MK3.5 was/is available without ABS while vehicles in other countries have the IVD system (ABS, ESP and TCS) as standard.

Thanks for your response :)

I just find it weird that we both have a mk3.5 focus (2015 and 2016) the only difference is that he has a Zetec S and I have a Titanium X... Same engine...

Just weird...

Cheers

I was quite shocked to discover that my 1.6 petrol Titanium has rear drums. I thought all cars had disks all round these days. I remember (showing my age alert!) a car advert on TV a l-o-n-g time ago, extolling the virtues of this car, I can't remember the make, and then "With Disk Brakes All Round!" with 4 fast shots of the wheels in the space of 2 seconds.

16 minutes ago, trailertrash said:

I was quite shocked to discover that my 1.6 petrol Titanium has rear drums. I thought all cars had disks all round these days. I remember (showing my age alert!) a car advert on TV a l-o-n-g time ago, extolling the virtues of this car, I can't remember the make, and then "With Disk Brakes All Round!" with 4 fast shots of the wheels in the space of 2 seconds.

I must admit I thought Drums were a thing of the past these days... 

I was clearly wrong lol I don't know how much extra they give to drums but I would expect the top model to have the same as the top Zetec model apart from the body kit...

Cheers

Zetec S gets front and rear discs as standard on the Mk3.5

It is part of the information given to dealers for UK market.

My mum has discs on her 2012 1.0, but I think that's because it is an Estate.

1 minute ago, alexp999 said:

Zetec S gets front and rear discs as standard on the Mk3.5

It is part of the information given to dealers for UK market.

My mum has discs on her 2012 1.0, but I think that's because it is an Estate.

It just makes no sense lol Same power, same engine, same weight, same car less discs on one lol

Oh well I'm guessing it's just going to annoy me for another 3 years...

Cheers :)

The Zetec S is designed to look better. I would imagine it is primarily for appearance.

Plus if you have gone for the sporty model, you are more likely to be driving it spirited, so would expect better brakes.

The rear drums are more than capable of helping to stop a Focus as the front discs do most of the work. You also have the advantage of the handbrake not sticking.

• Like 1

The Zetec S is designed to look better. I would imagine it is primarily for appearance.

Plus if you have gone for the sporty model, you are more likely to be driving it spirited, so would expect better brakes.

The rear drums are more than capable of helping to stop a Focus as the front discs do most of the work. You also have the advantage of the handbrake not sticking.

It was only a minor niggle with what is a fantastic car/engine! I guess it makes sense regarding the sports model and yes the car stops fine.

Now you mention a plus side with the non sticking drums lol

Cheers for your posts :)

On the Zetec S, it also means one less factory configuration, sports suspension is probably pre-assembled with discs.

I doubt I use mine to full potential, I have left it really late to brake sometimes just to try them and they have phenomenal stopping power being bigger again on the ST, but it isn't particularly enjoyable to drive like that. I'm not on a race track, I prefer to get the speed right into a bend and then carry it through, rather than braking hard and late.

• Like 1

On the Zetec S, it also means one less factory configuration, sports suspension is probably pre-assembled with discs.

I doubt I use mine to full potential, I have left it really late to brake sometimes just to try them and they have phenomenal stopping power being bigger again on the ST, but it isn't particularly enjoyable to drive like that. I'm not on a race track, I prefer to get the speed right into a bend and then carry it through, rather than braking hard and late.

I agree I never hope to need to use them to their full potential but like you said it was an appearance thing for me...

They look better and one assumes they would stop you quicker in the event of breaking hard...

Drums do stick...  When water gets into them it can't get out!  And as I drive through a lot of standing water in a fairly low lying area this is fairly often.

I can also get brake fade pretty easily in the Focus with a bit of 'enthusiastic' driving, not sure if it's the tiny front discs or the rear drums that are the main issue though. 

Either way, they shouldn't have been shoving !Removed! drums on them in 2008 let alone now!  It's just another money-saving exercise by Ford and is a major reason that I'm put off the EcoBoosts. :sad: 

Sticking drums still happens less than discs. Mine stick every time I wash the car or it rains hard, lol.

Any brakes will fade, even discs on an ST will fade when they get hot.

I remember watching video reviews for my car before I bought it and while waiting for delivery, the pads would catch fire pretty quick if you keep pushing them.

Road brake setups are designed to work best when cold so if you start to heat them up they get worse. Race brakes are the opposite.

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

Drums do stick...  When water gets into them it can't get out!  And as I drive through a lot of standing water in a fairly low lying area this is fairly often.

I can also get brake fade pretty easily in the Focus with a bit of 'enthusiastic' driving, not sure if it's the tiny front discs or the rear drums that are the main issue though. 

Either way, they shouldn't have been shoving !Removed! drums on them in 2008 let alone now!  It's just another money-saving exercise by Ford and is a major reason that I'm put off the EcoBoosts. :sad: 

I guess I'm lucky not to have a lot of water near me but I can confirm that I drive to the best of the engines ability and my pads have not worn out yet in 33,000 miles...

I would buy this car again in a heartbeat, it just looks better on the Zetec S lol

It's as JW stated. There's been quite a bit said about what brakes are on what model. I'd have thought also titanium x would have had rear discs but alas no. Anyway you can have more fun with rear drums. Handbrake turns are much easier with drums 😆

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Sticking drums still happens less than discs. Mine stick every time I wash the car or it rains hard, lol.

Same here... My clio had drum breaks and hardly ever had them stick. The all round disk breaks on the focus stick initially if it has been sitting for a couple of days, or it has been wet. 

I thought all titanium came with rear disks. Certainly all the ones I looked at had disks on the back. Zetecs were hit and miss if they had them or not. 

I think the bigger engines get them, so 2.0 TDCi and 1.5/1.6 ecoboost.

Zetec S gets them regardless of engine (on Mk3.5 anyway).

Not sure how it works on the estate, my mum's 1.0 has discs, but I'm sure we test drove a 1.6 tdci estate that had drums.

Perhaps it depends if they have a surplus at any point on production for the rest of them? Lol.

2 minutes ago, Arwen said:

Same here... My clio had drum breaks and hardly ever had them stick. The all round disk breaks on the focus stick initially if it has been sitting for a couple of days, or it has been wet. 

I thought all titanium came with rear disks. Certainly all the ones I looked at had disks on the back. Zetecs were hit and miss if they had them or not. 

I think the Titainium X on the MK3 had discs as I had a rental with them on but I wouldn't quote me on that... That woudl of had the 1.0 engine also...

7 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Any brakes will fade, even discs on an ST will fade when they get hot.

I remember watching video reviews for my car before I bought it and while waiting for delivery, the pads would catch fire pretty quick if you keep pushing them.

Road brake setups are designed to work best when cold so if you start to heat them up they get worse. Race brakes are the opposite.

My drums stick when I wash the car as well...  There really isn't any difference between frequency of sticking with my experience of owning loads of discs and very few drums lol.  Difference is discs free off pretty easily but I can drive with a stuck drum and locked wheel a good few yards!  Drums never adjust properly either, I hate working on drums and am forever adjusting them for MOTs lol, none of that hassle with discs!

Any brakes will fade but not as quickly with bigger ones due to better heat dissipation, plus discs dissipate heat much better than drums as well.  I haven't managed to get fade on the GTi6 despite it being used purely for thrashing round B roads (283mm discs front, 247mm rear), but a bit of fun in the slow diesel Focus see's fade quite often which is annoying.

You're right about track pads, one of my mates crashed a couple of weeks ago because his 'road legal' track pads had cooled down while cruising on the motorway! :unsure: 

2 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

I think the bigger engines get them, so 2.0 TDCi and 1.5/1.6 ecoboost.

Zetec S gets them regardless of engine (on Mk3.5 anyway).

Not sure how it works on the estate, my mum's 1.0 has discs, but I'm sure we test drove a 1.6 tdci estate that had drums.

Perhaps it depends if they have a surplus at any point on production for the rest of them? Lol.

Mines due a service in 1000 miles so I will ask the lovely Ford people if they know haha

I think there's a guide somewhere on here with a list of parts if you fancy doing the conversion!

2 minutes ago, trailertrash said:

I think there's a guide somewhere on here with a list of parts if you fancy doing the conversion!

Unfortunately it's a company car so no conversions for me...

I have 3 more years of wanting a Zetec S setup haha

11 hours ago, trailertrash said:

If I remember correctly it was the Renault Dauphine.

22 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

AIUI there's probably a few reasons for drums on the back, reduction in cost for handbrake mechanism being one of them. You have to remember that only a small proportion of your braking force will apply to the rear wheels as they lock up much more easily than the fronts.

I've had my car since 39k and now on 66k, and driving styles from like Ms Daisy to driving like I stole it, and never suffered any brake fade so far. Brakes have never had to be changed and i've always been confident in stopping my Focus (unlike my Corsa!).

Discs all round on my tit x 1.6 petrol 2011..

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club