Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Autoglass tomorrow

simcor

Auto glass are coming to my workplace to fit a new heated screen as I now have two cracks in it. 

Will update it when they have been, told them it's a heated windscreen so hopefully they will bring the correct one, fingers crossed.

75 quid excess on insurance so can't grumble.

Good luck.  Check the auto wipers and lights work before the AG tech leaves! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, simcor said:

Auto glass are coming to my workplace to fit a new heated screen as I now have two cracks in it. 

Will update it when they have been, told them it's a heated windscreen so hopefully they will bring the correct one, fingers crossed.

They should check the auto wipers work while your there (least they did with mine). The guy pointed out the original screen wasn't even bonded at the top passenger side! How it never leaked I don't know.....no problems with the Pilkinton screen they fitted to our Focus but I've heard a few have had problems with their auto dimming mirror or rain sensors.

1 hour ago, simcor said:

How long did you have to wait for the replacement date after reporting the cracks to your insurance company?

Recently had mine replaced by Auto Windscreens, who after a google search have got themselves a poor reputation for the time it takes them to come and do the job.

I reported a stone chip with a 30mm long crack to my insurance on the 20th April and was given a replacement date of the 29th. The next day, the 21st I noticed that the crack had now got longer, about 70mm and phoned the Auto Windscreens number I had been given with the job number to say it had got longer and the replacement date was then changed to the 11th May.

My excess was £50.

Rang up on Tuesday and booked in for tomorrow so only 2 days.

I don't have auto lights or wipers just heated screen so they should not really be able to mess it up lol famous last words I know.

See if you get the chance, don't suppose you would mind asking the chap if they will install a different window to whats on it?  I'm awaiting a cracked window so I can replace it and install the auto lights etc, everything else is done.  I spoke to one chap and he said they didn't care, just tell the girl on the phone that you have had the problem before where they brought the wrong window and you require this exact one. 

1 hour ago, Dee_82 said:

See if you get the chance, don't suppose you would mind asking the chap if they will install a different window to whats on it?  I'm awaiting a cracked window so I can replace it and install the auto lights etc, everything else is done.  I spoke to one chap and he said they didn't care, just tell the girl on the phone that you have had the problem before where they brought the wrong window and you require this exact one. 

I will ask but when I rang up they took my reg number and said it only lists the one screen for my car so they knew what screen it should be.

If wanting to upgrade the less hassle route would be to buy one from a breakers and find a local independant firm to fit it for you going to cost more I know but at least you can get what you want done for sure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, simcor said:

I will ask but when I rang up they took my reg number and said it only lists the one screen for my car so they knew what screen it should be.

If wanting to upgrade the less hassle route would be to buy one from a breakers and find a local independant firm to fit it for you going to cost more I know but at least you can get what you want done for sure.

Yeah, that's what the chap said to me, but he suggest to say the system is wrong and you have had the problem of wrong windows before.  Cheers mate!

Could just buy a new one Darren, mine with screen heater, auto wipers and lights and green tint with IR reflective coating only cost the insurance company £750... :unsure::laugh: 

Plus a new sensor at ~£150 as the second tech broke it.  First one brought the wrong screen lol.  Third one managed to get it all sorted on his 2nd visit.

But I will admit, it's all been fine since, was just a lot of hassle at the time! 

• Like 1

Hi Tom

Which windscreen replacement company was that?

Well window tech tang me at ten to two saying he was here, I had only just got in myself.

The screen has already been replaced and was fitted badly although he has had quite a job getting it out.

As for fitting a different screen it would depend on who was fitting it and whether they are a jobs worth.

Having said that asking for a dearer screen to be fitted under insurance so you can retrofit auto light/wipers would technically be classes as fraud.

Personally not worth it in my opinion.

I had my heated screen on a Mondeo TDCi mk3 Tiptronic auto replaced under the insurance, £60 excess, for the MOT approx 3 yrs ago. The ins. co. recommended a firm who claimed to 'cover the nation' so to speak but subcontracted it to a local set-up, whose name escapes me.

(TBH I suspect that that is how they manage to operate 'The Width of the Nation' :wink: )

The job was carried out at the MOT garage, I collected the car, all good. Or not...

Sometime after the MOT I started getting problems with the auto box with lumpy changes, the LCD display going haywire, no speedo or tacho etc and an error code. Doom and gloom as the year's warrantee had just expired on the box rebuild - £1500! I was told at the garage that the fault codes indicated a solenoid fault within the box requiring a box stripdown. Fords confirmed it. I was in the middle of a house move so 'kept calm and carried on' (stiff upper lip and all that) as the car did run ok and didn't always play up.

One day I noticed that there was water in the rear passenger footwell. Long story short (Ha! That's a laugh - see above...) the windscreen leaked where the wire entered at the top left to the extent that it overflowed into the rear well on uphills. (I live alone so seldom have passengers else it might have been noticed sooner - Oi! My Jimmy Choos are wet - lol ) Water was getting into the auto box ECU (if that's the right term for its dedicated computer) up against the NS bulkhead causing the faults as above. Nothing wrong with the box at all!

Once the screen was properly sealed and the ecu dried out (time and ventilation, I didn't take it out) I had no further issue with the car - well, until I wrote it off on a greasy hairpin at 2am one day...

Anyway loving my 2010 1.6 Duratec petrol Focus auto. None of the sophistication of the Jatco Tiptronic of the 54 plate Mondy despite the 6 yr age difference but it gets me n the dog around.

cheers for asking, yeah its a little naughty but only fraud if you don't tell them, besides, is it any more expensive? its the same window just with a round connector instead of a rectangular one.

6 hours ago, Dee_82 said:

When you phone them they already know what glass you require and they will tell you what you'll get .... Like for like unfortunately.

52 minutes ago, Russ said:

When you phone them they already know what glass you require and they will tell you what you'll get .... Like for like unfortunately.

If ETIS can get a cars data wrong then I'm sure they can as well.  In any case, I'm not doing anything until I get a big chip

7 hours ago, eddie eastwood said:

Hi Tom

Which windscreen replacement company was that?

Autoglass

They were quick though, 2 days between online ordering and the first tech arriving. 

All fitted perfectly and no real issues to speak of, it took him a while to do it, but I did keep popping over to see what he was doing just to keep an eye on the fitting process lol I'm like that, brought him a coffee out of the machine too cause I am a nice guy like that. 

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club