Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford galaxy automatic - transmission limited function

Fishcake1552

I have a 2010 ford galaxy titanium with automatic gear box.  A couple of times an error message saying 'transmission limited function' has come up on the dash when the car is stationary and the car won't then reverse.  On both occasions it's righted itself when the engine has been turned off and on again.

i was driving to work the other day and the warning sign came on whilst I was driving and the car sounded like it couldn't find a gear.  I had to pull over and turn the engine off and on again, it again righted itself once the engine was turned back on.

it was put onto diagnostics which revealed no error codes and they're suggesting we have the gearbox stripped at a cost of £500 plus.

any ideas what could be wrong?

thank you

• 2 weeks later...

did you buy this car from a garage, trader or dealer?

if so take it back and demand they resolve it, as is your right!

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Thought I'd just share this with you.

I've got a Galaxy Powershift 2013 bought 3 yrs ago with 57k on it, transmission fluid changed at 50k, just recently with 76k it started playing up with the revs fluctuating, jerky gear changes & limited transmission warning mainly going up hill, garage did transmission fluid change & filter 7 months ago, still same problems, said it would be transmission out at a cost, thought I'd try an alternative first SEAFOAM TRANSTUNE syringed out same quantity before adding, says drive 100 miles before fluid change, bought Westway Lubricants Powershift fluid with filter at £90 added another SEAFOAM at £17, drove the same for 2 months 600 miles when suddenly the transmission started working as it should, can't believe,was about to part ex the car, this has saved me a fortune, been driving ok now for 2 weeks 😃 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/7/2021 at 6:44 AM, Chuckster said:

I've got a Galaxy Powershift 2013 bought 3 yrs ago with 57k on it, transmission fluid changed at 50k, just recently with 76k it started playing up with the revs fluctuating, jerky gear changes & limited transmission warning mainly going up hill, garage did transmission fluid change & filter 7 months ago, still same problems, said it would be transmission out at a cost, thought I'd try an alternative first SEAFOAM TRANSTUNE syringed out same quantity before adding, says drive 100 miles before fluid change, bought Westway Lubricants Powershift fluid with filter at £90 added another SEAFOAM at £17, drove the same for 2 months 600 miles when suddenly the transmission started working as it should, can't believe,was about to part ex the car, this has saved me a fortune, been driving ok now for 2 weeks 😃 

Just an update, covered 500 miles now since the transmission started working like it should, even been on the motorway with no problems, I would definitely give Seafoam a try first, a must if your car is going into limp mode, limited transmission & revs fluctuating & can't decide which gear to go in & jerky gear changes, be patient though it does take time for Seafoam to work 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, just a thought on the Galaxy Powershift shift problem, you hear about swarf getting stuck to the solenoids & the only way to clean them is to remove the transmission, but I'm told the the Powershift has a wet clutch so as that wears the clutch material is contaminating the transmission fluid that why it turns black & also could cause problems with the solenoids,so that's more likely the reason why you need to change it at 40k

• 4 months later...
On 6/28/2021 at 4:30 PM, Chuckster said:

Just an update, covered 500 miles now since the transmission started working like it should, even been on the motorway with no problems, I would definitely give Seafoam a try first, a must if your car is going into limp mode, limited transmission & revs fluctuating & can't decide which gear to go in & jerky gear changes, be patient though it does take time for Seafoam to work 

Hi mate did you put the sea foam in transmission oil ? I’m having the same issue with my ford s max. So just need advice what to do ? If you can give any advice where to add sea foam and how you did it that will be great. 

On 6/7/2021 at 6:44 AM, Chuckster said:

Hi  mate did you put the sea foam in transmission oil ? I’m having the same issue with my ford s max. So just need advice what to do ? If you can give any advice where to add sea foam and how you did it that will be great

• 3 months later...
On 12/9/2021 at 11:16 PM, Rahul Raval said:

Hi  mate did you put the sea foam in transmission oil ? I’m having the same issue with my ford s max. So just need advice what to do ? If you can give any advice where to add sea foam and how you did it that will be great

Yeah if you remove the air box, just underneath you'll see a flat headed 8 mm Allen key bolt on the front right side, you can add seafoam from there.

I've had problems with mine again, had to renew the transmission oil again, noticed small hard black specs in it on draining, must be from the clutch, my mechanic friend said it's what the seafoam has cleaned out

• 5 months later...
On 5/25/2016 at 10:42 PM, Fishcake1552 said:

I have a 2010 ford galaxy titanium with automatic gear box.  A couple of times an error message saying 'transmission limited function' has come up on the dash when the car is stationary and the car won't then reverse.  On both occasions it's righted itself when the engine has been turned off and on again.

i was driving to work the other day and the warning sign came on whilst I was driving and the car sounded like it couldn't find a gear.  I had to pull over and turn the engine off and on again, it again righted itself once the engine was turned back on.

it was put onto diagnostics which revealed no error codes and they're suggesting we have the gearbox stripped at a cost of £500 plus.

any ideas what could be wrong?

thank you

Hi I have the same problem as your self I been told it could be that u need to change the gear box oil and filter or if it sounds like it suckling in air it could be vacuum pipe broken or it could be that the gear box may need to be programmed again but I can let u be by tomorrow some time as I am going ti get a Diagnostic done tomorrow and I will no  what may be the problem 

• 2 months later...

Hi  I am having the same issue with my ford c max 2013 91k miles, transmission limited function OCT 2022,  fluid and filter was changed around 10k before when I purchased the car and had the warning sign coming TRANSMISSION MALFUNCTION service NOW, after getting change fluid and filter  was having the same warning coming when I used the car on motorway, but never having issue using semi auto, now since last week I have seen this warning coming transmission limited function, off the car and on back again   solve the issue, after reading from here  decide to add seafoam TRANS TUNE and see if its help. 

Any of you solve the issue or got rid of the car?

Any advise help

many thanks 

Sunny 

On 8/15/2022 at 7:11 PM, Nadim ali said:

Hi I have the same problem as your self I been told it could be that u need to change the gear box oil and filter or if it sounds like it suckling in air it could be vacuum pipe broken or it could be that the gear box may need to be programmed again but I can let u be by tomorrow some time as I am going ti get a Diagnostic done tomorrow and I will no  what may be the problem 

Hi  did you solve the issue?

On 3/11/2022 at 1:30 PM, Chuckster said:

Yeah if you remove the air box, just underneath you'll see a flat headed 8 mm Allen key bolt on the front right side, you can add seafoam from there.

I've had problems with mine again, had to renew the transmission oil again, noticed small hard black specs in it on draining, must be from the clutch, my mechanic friend said it's what the seafoam has cleaned out

Hi  did you solve the issue?

• 2 months later...

I’m also having the same problem with my galaxy titanium 2012…. It was having problems going into reverse initially then that sorted itself out but now it’s doing the transmission limited function message - especially when freezing cold. 
it happened in the morning the first time and turning the engine off and on again corrected it but this morning that didn’t work. It’s always when I’m driving- the car feels like it drops a gear and the revs sound really high then it loses all power and I have to stop. 

Both times are early morning when the weather is below 0.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Hannahc81 said:

I’m also having the same problem with my galaxy titanium 2012….

Hi Hannah, this is a really old thread dates back to 25th May 2016. You will get better and more useful replies if you start  a brand new thread in the Galaxy forum.

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/forum/12-ford-galaxy-club/

Detail what vehicle you have: Engine size and fuel. Gearbox, what type for example powershift.

How many miles has the vehicle done. Has it ever had the gearbox serviced?

• 3 months later...

I have been having the same problems with my Galaxy titaniam, for the last 4 years. I have taken it into 3 different places to try & get the problem sorted, but none of them can identify the problem. One said it could be the battery needs changing (They said if there is a problem with the battery, it could cause problems with the electronic controler that changes gear) So I had it changed, but the problem still wasn't fixed. So took it to an automatic specelest to have the trasn fluid drained & refilld. So they drained the fluid, did a power flush & refilled it. The fluid that came out was clean & no bits found. So they didn't think there was anything serious with the gearbox, so they think it could be an electrical problem. I left the car with them for a few days & they clocked up 500 miles with no problem, they tried driving normaly & they tried driving it hard (lead footing it) but it didn't hapen to them. couple of months later it did it to me again in the 3rd lane of the smart section of the M25, it was banging in & out of 5th gear, & I couldn't get into a safety zone. It came to a stop on whould have been the hard shoulder, but was now a live lane. The time it took to put the car in park, switch the engine off & restart the car, must have only been a few seconds, but it was the most frightening second in my life. This is obviously a common fault with these gearboxes, so I can't beleive all the auto transmision places I have been to don't know how to fix it! 

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, jackwabbit55 said:

I have been having the same problems with my Galaxy titaniam,

Hello John, I'll give you the same advice that I gave to Hannah, who ignored it and got zero help and advice from anyone.

On 1/24/2023 at 11:46 AM, unofix said:

Hi Hannah, this is a really old thread dates back to 25th May 2016. You will get better and more useful replies if you start  a brand new thread in the Galaxy forum.

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/forum/12-ford-galaxy-club/

Detail what vehicle you have: Engine size and fuel. Gearbox, what type for example powershift.

How many miles has the vehicle done. Has it ever had the gearbox serviced?

The Technical Knowledge forum is not often read, use the Galaxy forum.