Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Urgent(ish) help needed

jonny_sniper93

Just got a 'check tyre pressure' warning on my way to work and found a nail in my rear tyre but tyre still looked inflated. I checked the pressure (was near a petrol station) and it was 24 psi so I filled it to 30 and it got me to work (5 mins away) and, again, still looks inflated. I still had the 'check tyre pressure' warning after I inflated it so what I'm asking is - is this still referring to the punctured tyre (even though I filled it up) i.e. do the sensors know it is still punctured even though it is up to around 30 psi (probably dropping down slightly). Checked the other tyres by eye and they appear fine but I don't want to put the spacer on and there be another punctured tyre.     

30 minutes ago, jonny_sniper93 said:

Just got a 'check tyre pressure' warning on my way to work and found a nail in my rear tyre but tyre still looked inflated. I checked the pressure (was near a petrol station) and it was 24 psi so I filled it to 30 and it got me to work (5 mins away) and, again, still looks inflated. I still had the 'check tyre pressure' warning after I inflated it so what I'm asking is - is this still referring to the punctured tyre (even though I filled it up) i.e. do the sensors know it is still punctured even though it is up to around 30 psi (probably dropping down slightly). Checked the other tyres by eye and they appear fine but I don't want to put the spacer on and there be another punctured tyre.     

Ok well if you have a nail in your tyre go and get it fixed asap, and you should be ok generally costs under £10 as long as it is no in the wall of the tyre or you will need to purchase a new tyre.

If the message keeps appearing i would make sure that all your tyres have no other nails and the pressure is ok on them as well if so then make sure all your valves are undamaged.

As long as the pressures are ok them you should be ok to drive short distances and at low speeds do not exceed 60 mph and get them looked at asap.

hope this helps :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Adam Gallagher said:

Ok well if you have a nail in your tyre go and get it fixed asap, and you should be ok generally costs under £10 as long as it is no in the wall of the tyre or you will need to purchase a new tyre.

If the message keeps appearing i would make sure that all your tyres have no other nails and the pressure is ok on them as well if so then make sure all your valves are undamaged.

As long as the pressures are ok them you should be ok to drive short distances and at low speeds do not exceed 60 mph and get them looked at asap.

hope this helps :)

Thanks very much. Tyre seemed fine to drive on so I whisked it a mile down the road to kwik fit. They said 4 hour wait (at 10 am) and they were absolutely rammed! They didn't look at my car, just gave my keys in, so hopefully they'll ring me and give me the options. This is the nail:

image.jpeg

Just now, jonny_sniper93 said:

Thanks very much. Tyre seemed fine to drive on so I whisked it a mile down the road to kwik fit. They said 4 hour wait (at 10 am) and they were absolutely rammed! They didn't look at my car, just gave my keys in, so hopefully they'll ring me and give me the options. This is the nail:

image.jpeg

Hmm... That looks kinda close they may be able to fix it for about £10 or it may be a new tyre I'm not sure as it is very close to the wall. Hopefully its the £10 job or it will cost a lot more for a new tyre prob £50-100 Depending on brand etc...

• Like 1

That nail is a screw lol...

I'm fairly sure Kwik Fit will say that's too close the edge to repair.  I don't think it'll be flat enough on the inside to get a good seal on the patch/mushroom from that picture.  Shame though as the tyre looks fairly new!

• Like 1

I had a puncture in almost the same place on mine. Ever so slightly closer to sidewall. I had it repaired from a friend as it was a brand new conti, although he did say he wouldn't of repaired it for anyone else as its too close and they don't hold well. Anyways I forgot I'd had it repaired and was racing around as normal bombing along the country roads and doing 90+ on the motorway and after 3 weeks the patch finally gave out and it went to 0psi in the space of an hour. Im sure if I'd of drove normally it would of held on for a long time, so if you can find someone to patch it I'd do it if I was you however like people have said Kwik fit etc won't do it they'd much rather sell you a new tyre. Best off going to your local tyre guy see if he will do it. I'd say if the tyre is 3mm or less then not to bother as you'd be better of putting the 10a towards a new tyre  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

That nail is a screw lol...

I'm fairly sure Kwik Fit will say that's too close the edge to repair.  I don't think it'll be flat enough on the inside to get a good seal on the patch/mushroom from that picture.  Shame though as the tyre looks fairly new!

lol just noticed didnt take a very good look at it :lol:,

yeah if it was only 1-2 cm over it would have been ok.

• Like 1

Yeah sorry, screw haha. Yes they said too close to the edge so £130 for new tyre :(. My local tyre guy charges around 10% less for the same tyre but this kwik fit is only a mile from where I work so I just went for it. I should have considered pushing for a plug or going somewhere else but home is 60 miles away so I just thought go for it this time.

The tyre has 20k on it btw.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jonny_sniper93 said:

Yeah sorry, screw haha. Yes they said too close to the edge so £130 for new tyre :(. My local tyre guy charges around 10% less for the same tyre but this kwik fit is only a mile from where I work so I just went for it. I should have considered pushing for a plug or going somewhere else but home is 60 miles away so I just thought go for it this time.

yeah better just paying £130 than having a blow out on the way home :l sucks man. At lease you got it fixed tho.

• Like 1

I don't think I would have had it repaired that close.   Some repairers will do though.   I had a nail that was actually a bit closer than that and my local guy repaired it.   It lasted two days but at least he knocked the repair charge off the cost of a new tyre.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jonny_sniper93 said:

130 for a new tyre? I was getting quoted £90 here plus fitting...I have the same tyre a

1 hour ago, fraserrg said:

130 for a new tyre? I was getting quoted £90 here plus fitting...I have the same tyre a

Yeah my local guy does it for £105 inc fitting (meant 20% less). I'm in the city centre and it is a kwik fit so I guess thats why it's more spenny. Just wanted to get it fixed tbh. Second new tyre and the car is only 9 months old.

3 minutes ago, jonny_sniper93 said:

Yeah my local guy does it for £105 inc fitting (meant 20% less). I'm in the city centre and it is a kwik fit so I guess thats why it's more spenny. Just wanted to get it fixed tbh. Second new tyre and the car is only 9 months old.

Lol you're not the only one with bad luck mate, I've had a few annoying things. 

Hopefully its the second and last for you!

2 new tyres in 20k isn't bad at all tbh.  Bit pricey but as you say it is Kwik S*it and city centre (even though you are up North!?) but at least it's sorted!

4 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

2 new tyres in 20k isn't bad at all tbh.  Bit pricey but as you say it is Kwik S*it and city centre (even though you are up North!?) but at least it's sorted!

yeah not to bad.

I won't have anything to do with Kwik Fit under any circumstances.   I had them fit an exhaust system for me years ago on a Volvo 240GLE  just before i went on holiday.   50 miles and the back box fell off.   Found another Kwik Fit to refit it and it soon fell off again.   I fixed it myself holding it to the chassis with some wire which did me until I got home.   When I got back I went to a Volvo dealer and had them remove it and fit a complete new system.   They said that there was no way the KF system was ever going to stay on.   Had to sue Kwik Fit in the small claims court to get my money back.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Hahaha yeah, the guy thought it was cheap but he did say he was from down South!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Adam Gallagher said:

yeah not to bad.

The last one I had was at about 10k (different wheel) but it exploded because I hit a pot hole (at like 35 mph). The road was awful so tried to get onto Liverpool City Council but they were having none of it. Now can now dodge all the pot holes with my eyes shut but can't do anything about screws!

Kwik Fit dude reckoned these tyres go for about 25k but I think there was much more left than that.

• Like 1

On a tyre related side note for anyone who is still following this. When I check my tyre pressures, I go off the door sill, 34 psi front and 26 psi back, which makes sense because Fiestas are a bit front heavy and front wheel drive but when it goes for a service/new tyre/winter check etc, Ford (or others) generally tends to do them psi values the other way round. Maybe its because historically you need more in the near than the front.